Go Pro Mounts

Windshield, A pillar light mount, front stinger, door. Depends on the angle you’re looking for at that particular moment.

Rugged ridge dash mount. The cell phone holder can unscrew off and go pro screws in.

3CA60F5A-B307-47DB-B80B-2B38DF16A10D.jpeg

Reactions: Cisco Kid
Anyone else have some pics of their mounts? looking for ideas for our Hero7

Agreed. Too much footage makes editing hell.

Batteries are usually dead or close to dead when something happens.

I mount my GoPro on the right side of the top on my instrument cluster. Easy to reach up and hit the start and stop record buttons and easy to keep plugged in and charged.

Makes it easy to unclip and put on my helmet.

I mostly use my cell phone. I have a couple of small tripods I use when filming. Shots of your vehicle are far more interesting than looking out the window.

I also have a Akaso cheap go pro knockoff I use a lot with a magnet mount. It's convenient to stick it anywhere you want on a vehicle... front vehicle getting shots of the rear vehicle...but again...not used often because it's impossible to go through hours of footage to find a couple of minutes of something interesting.

Also...run...

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/fsWRug9ZysYyesQA/?mibextid=qi2Omg

Here's a good example of tripod shots making interesting video...

And I still think we need a video of the month in addition to picture.

-Mac

P.S. I use OpenShot - open source software for editing.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Rut Row and PNW_LJ
Too much footage makes editing hell.

not used often because it's impossible to go through hours of footage to find a couple of minutes of something interesting.

I recently did an editing project involving the original True Grit film. I could load it into Davinci Resolve and rapidly scrub through it to find a specific shot that I was interested in. Quick and easy to do. Give it a try! You may have to turn on Proxy Handling to speed things up but it is easy to do.

Andy

I bought a GoPro remote for $34... worth every penny. I use it in Jeep, skydiving and snowboarding. No more "Is the light on?" videos. Go pro mounts to my bumper, think footage looks better from lower positions. Remote works from driver seat to bumper or if I set up for an obstacle can leave it on ground and turn on for approach
Remote
https://www.amazon.com/TELESIN-Wate...Accessories/dp/B07WLY8VDV/?tag=wranglerorg-20

These mounts are super easy and cheap. Have had one on my bumper and another on a helmet for years. Tie a leash to the go pro and whatever its attached to. I just use an old shoe lace. Better to have it get knocked off than shattered by a branch or rock

https://www.amazon.com/MiPremium-Ad...-attachment/dp/B08XQTY5BR/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have about 6 mounts all over my jeep, every time we stop on the trail it only takes me a few to move the camera to a different mount for a fresh perspective.

I just use the app to control my go pro, so there is no getting in and out of the jeep to turn it on.

I do carry 8 batteries with me, as you can go thru batteries in a hurry. I bring chargers along also, and I always have some batteries charging but I like not always having to wait on the charger.

You can buy knock off batteries on Amazon for a decent price and they last about as long as the go pro batteries do.

Outside hand held footage is better, more appealing than static footage. So I carry a small selfie stick and small tripod.

I’m not trying to be a YouTuber, but my buddies and I usually do a week long wheeling trip somewhere and it’s nice to have some cool videos of it.

I have a GoPro brand suction cup mount that I've tried in a few different places but mainly stick it to the far driver side of the windshield where I can see the screen and reach the button from the inside. I've tried the fender but it doesn't quite stick out far enough to see well past the fender flare without a longer extension, which presents it's own problem...I'm sure it depends on the quality of the cameras image stabilization algorithm, but I've found the video from my entry level GoPro cameras gets really jumpy to the point of being unwatchable if the mount gets too long to effectively hold the camera stationary in relation to the Jeep. I can actually tell from the video whether I aired down or not.

I also have a clamp that will attach to anything flat, like a partially rolled down glass window, or the bottom face of my front bumper which is where I usually have used it, though it always makes me nervous on rockier terrain.

The GoPro app will let you control and view remotely, but it can be fiddly getting them to connect and gets further complicated when switching back and forth between the app and a navigation app, if your phone shuts down the GoPro app because you're not actively looking at it. I'd rather have a remote but the one linked above doesn't list my particular (Hero 2018 and Hero 7) cameras as being compatible, so I don't know if it'll work.

In the end, I agree - the best shots are always taken from 3rd person perspective. POV is ok but it's a lot more fun to watch when it's punctuated with some spotter/bystander shots to show what the rig is doing.

That's my input as someone with a YT channel that's gathered all of 342 subscribers in 5 years and whose most watched video is what I would say was the least exciting one I've ever made, so apparently I don't understand my audience. :ROFLMAO:

I've had mine suction-cupped to the hood (right in front of driver).
I added a little strap to the wiper in case the suction fails.
Works pretty good, but I also have lots of video I've never looked at.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Interesting replies, really appreciate it.

I have one mount up front on the bumper that can look forward or look back, and I have to say, while the camera does a good job creating clear videos - they aren't very dynamic. I'd only use the footage for quick 2-3 second shots of the under-carriage going through terrain. and as for hood mount, forward facing - i agree, probably some of the most "yawn" footage i've seen. Watched a CJ5 group's video on youtube of their rubicon trail trek and i literally fast-forwarded through those parts.

Maybe I'll just use my go-pro for hand-held work, or head/body mounted work. We have a couple Iphone mounts that allow for in-cab shots, too.

Other than that, maybe it's all about the tried and true tripod mount for either the phone or go-pro? I have a DJI OSMO hand-held gimbal that's pretty legit for phone-based video, too.

Here's the list.

• Go-pro
    • for handheld
    • tri-pod
    • body mount (head or chest rig)
  • Iphone
    • in-cab
    • handheld
    • gimbal

Agreed. Too much footage makes editing hell.

Batteries are usually dead or close to dead when something happens.

I mount my GoPro on the right side of the top on my instrument cluster. Easy to reach up and hit the start and stop record buttons and easy to keep plugged in and charged.

Makes it easy to unclip and put on my helmet.

I mostly use my cell phone. I have a couple of small tripods I use when filming. Shots of your vehicle are far more interesting than looking out the window.

I also have a Akaso cheap go pro knockoff I use a lot with a magnet mount. It's convenient to stick it anywhere you want on a vehicle... front vehicle getting shots of the rear vehicle...but again...not used often because it's impossible to go through hours of footage to find a couple of minutes of something interesting.

Also...run...

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/fsWRug9ZysYyesQA/?mibextid=qi2Omg

Here's a good example of tripod shots making interesting video...

And I still think we need a video of the month in addition to picture.

-Mac

P.S. I use OpenShot - open source software for editing.

now we know what your exercise program is - that wore me out just watching you run

Reactions: macleanflood