Going back to stock air intake?

Powdermonkey

SAPPER
Supporting Member
The PO had a Edge Preformance Trailjammer installed(I think), throttle body, electronic module, etc. Should I go back to the OEM air intake? Leave the throttle body and electronic module and OEM air intake, if possible? Scrap it all?

I’m aware of the problems that these aftermarket filters present. Trying to come up with the best course of action.

https://ktperformance.net/i-6683041...p-2005-06wrangler-w-throttle-body-intake.html

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: Sgt Jarhead
Put the stock air box back on and get rid of all that crap. No idea what in the world that module "claims" it does, but I guarantee you it does nothing at all other than take up space. First time I've seen something like that, but I'd remove all of it for sure.

It's been proven that air intakes on the 4.0s do absolutely nothing for engine performance. The factory air intake on the 4.0 is simply not a weak point to begin with, hence the reason no power can be gained from a different setup.

Remove it all I say! As much as I hate to say this, some sucker will probably pay decent money for it. Not that I want to see another TJ owner get ripped off, but some people just have it dead set in their mind that "cold air intakes" DO make a difference... and I guess if someone wants to pay for it, then whatever!

Is it as simple as removing all that crap and just bolting back on the OEM? Does anything have to be reprogrammed? The rig is going to the shop on Monday should I have them do it? Is it a simple fix?

A quick google search only came up with used and 62mm bodies.

Is it as simple as removing all that crap and just bolting back on the OEM? Does anything have to be reprogrammed? The rig is going to the shop on Monday should I have them do it? Is it a simple fix?

Do it yourself, these are not performance engines, just swap and call it a day. Maybe 3 beer job, +2 victory beers, and 1 for fun.

Yes, it is that simple, and no reprograming as far as I know. Didn't need programing on my old 97 tj, and didn't need reprograming on my 06 tj. I like stock stuff. You can probably find what you need on your local CL site, unless you want to go new.

Ray

Doesn’t appear that new is an option unless I go with a larger bore, which I won’t.

I should be able to accomplish a two beer install, hopefully.

I got a stock air box from a 4x4 shop for $30.00, sold the Volant CAI that was on my Jeep when I bought it for $150.00 on Craig's list, and bought beer to celebrate. Absolutely no difference in power or fuel economy going with the stock box with an AC Delco filter, just less dirt getting into the motor.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Looks like my setup was around $700 back in the day. Not sure I should try to sell it for? I typically don’t sell things.

Looks like my setup was around $700 back in the day. Not sure I should try to sell it for? I typically don’t sell things.
You could put it up on CL for a swap for the OEM system. I'm sure someone would jump at that. Unless you can't do that in good conscience...;)

A stock air box with a paper filter will provide better filtration. The other things you have don't help anything performance wise, but I don't know if they hurt anything.

I already have everything but the throttle body. I have also found threads where guys report better response. Not sure if I can post a link.

Is it possible to leave the throttle body and module and just replace the filter box?

You can leave the Edge throttle body in place after removing its electronic control module, it won't help or hurt performance. Edge sent me a kit to try out and after installing the TB, discovered their module connector wouldn't fit my early '97. I left their larger 58mm (IIRC) TB in place but noticed no performance difference.
Run the OE air intake system. It is absolutely not restrictive and can easily flow more air than the engine can draw at redline rpms at WOT.

Mine came with a K&N. One of my junkyard runs will be for a stock set up. These type mods are as effective as putting baseball cards in your tricycle spokes with a clothespin.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Mine came with a K&N. One of my junkyard runs will be for a stock set up. These type mods are as effective as putting baseball cards in your tricycle spokes with a clothespin.
Now hold on! I know for a fact that properly placed baseball cards DO make you go faster! My childhood proved it.:) As a kid I was a Yankees fan and would collect baseball cards. Any Boston cards went on the bike.

Reactions: PortlandSteve
You can leave the Edge throttle body in place after removing its electronic control module, it won't help or hurt performance. Edge sent me a kit to try out and after installing the TB, discovered their module connector wouldn't fit my early '97. I left their larger 58mm (IIRC) TB in place but noticed no performance difference.
Run the OE air intake system. It is absolutely not restrictive and can easily flow more air than the engine can draw at redline rpms at WOT.
are all the TJ 4.0 throttle bodies 58mm ?

I have the same system on as the OP on my 06 TJ 4.0 and would like to go back to stock and cant find an oem listing for an TJ stock throttle body , it seems like they changed them in 2003 or 2004

Lots of things changed in 2005 including parts of the TB, not 100% sure what the 05-06 throttle body size is but I'd bet it's still 58 mm. My 2004 has a 58mm TB.