Going from load range E tires, to load range D

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
As many of you know, I recently switched from my factory Moab wheels and 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratrac tires to a set of 17" AEV Pintlers and 35x12.5 BF Goodrich KM2 Mud Terrain tires.

The Duratracs were load E, and these new KM2s are load D.

I ideally wanted a load C, but I found that the majority of tires for 17" rims seem to be load D.

Anyhow, I had never driven my TJ on anything but load E tires. Even my previous TJ had the same tires, so I really had nothing to compare them to. I would constantly hear people such as @Jerry Bransford suggesting that people complaining of a stiff ride switch to a C rated tire.

Well, I'm hear to report that this is no joke. I have my KM2s at 26 psi (same psi I ran the Duratracs at), and the difference is surreal... seriously.

I thought it rode really well on the Duratracs with the Rancho RS5000X shocks (which it did), but this is a whole different experience altogether. I can't feel anything in the road anymore, and it just soaks up everything.

I'm blown away by how much of a difference this made, as I wasn't expecting it to be that noticeable. I can only imagine how a C rated tire would compare to my D rated tires!

The moral of the story here is that load rating makes a huge difference in the ride of the vehicle, probably even more so than shocks I'd venture to say! Just don't forget to run them at the right psi!

I'm a big believer now, that's for sure.

To those of you complaining about how your TJ doesn't ride like a JK... Get some Rancho RS5000X shocks, get some C or D rated tires, and run them at 26 psi. Then you can stop complaining!

I still think my E Rated Duratracs feel worlds better than the previous Maxxis D rated MTs I had on her. IF I fall into the same insanity that has infected the rest of y'all and look at 35s I'm planning to fall back to 15in wheels and C Rated tires and store my Moabs for future use.

Reactions: Chris
Interesting that it's that much difference even though now you're on MTs, To be honest on highway the skinnier and AT duratracs (E) drive a fair bit better than the more MT and wider STT Pros (C) did.

Last edited:
Seems like everyday someone is talking about how nice the rancho 5000x ride. One day at 12 am I'm going to justify clicking the order button on amazon lol..

My wife may kill me though because I just bought new shocks last year. Looks like one might need to "break" soon. :risas3:

Last edited:
My Duratracs are almost new so no tires in the near future..., unless I go to 35s! I just watched a Dirt Every Day episode and they spotlighted a TJ with an AEV kit on it. This kit raised the fenders and shaved the hood. It let you run the 35s without much or any lift and kept the CoG low. Looked good too. Of course the kit is no longer available.

Reactions: Alex01 and Starrs
My Duratracs are almost new so no tires in the near future..., unless I go to 35s! I just watched a Dirt Every Day episode and they spotlighted a TJ with an AEV kit on it. This kit raised the fenders and shaved the hood. It let you run the 35s without much or any lift and kept the CoG low. Looked good too. Of course the kit is no longer available.

You can still find those AEV kits on the used market. They pop up for sale every so often (@Starrs had one for sale), but they go for around $3000, as they are considered gold pretty much!

Reactions: Starrs
a TJ with an AEV kit on it. This kit raised the fenders and shaved the hood
Winkin'

DSC_0049.jpg

As many of you know, I recently switched from my factory Moab wheels and 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratrac tires to a set of 17" AEV Pintlers and 35x12.5 BF Goodrich KM2 Mud Terrain tires.

The Duratracs were load E, and these new KM2s are load D.

I ideally wanted a load C, but I found that the majority of tires for 17" rims seem to be load D.

Anyhow, I had never driven my TJ on anything but load E tires. Even my previous TJ had the same tires, so I really had nothing to compare them to. I would constantly hear people such as @Jerry Bransford suggesting that people complaining of a stiff ride switch to a C rated tire.

Well, I'm hear to report that this is no joke. I have my KM2s at 26 psi (same psi I ran the Duratracs at), and the difference is surreal... seriously.

I thought it rode really well on the Duratracs with the Rancho RS5000X shocks (which it did), but this is a whole different experience altogether. I can't feel anything in the road anymore, and it just soaks up everything.

I'm blown away by how much of a difference this made, as I wasn't expecting it to be that noticeable. I can only imagine how a C rated tire would compare to my D rated tires!

The moral of the story here is that load rating makes a huge difference in the ride of the vehicle, probably even more so than shocks I'd venture to say! Just don't forget to run them at the right psi!

I'm a big believer now, that's for sure.

To those of you complaining about how your TJ doesn't ride like a JK... Get some Rancho RS5000X shocks, get some C or D rated tires, and run them at 26 psi. Then you can stop complaining!
Chris you must not have ever been "in the trenches" at a tire shop ...change a few E rated tires & then C rated & you'll know why the ride is so different ..lol ...take care

Chris you must not have ever been "in the trenches" at a tire shop ...change a few E rated tires & then C rated & you'll know why the ride is so different ..lol ...take care

You're right, I've never been in the trenches. I have to assume that all things equal, the E rated tire weighs more.

Reactions: Kent Dakin
Seems like everyday you someone is talking about how nice the rancho 5000x ride. One day at 12 am I'm going to justify clicking the order button on amazon lol..

My wife may kill me though because I just bought new shocks last year. Looks like one might need to "break" soon. :risas3:
Dude, you would have cleared that concrete pile on the 5000X. Pretty obvious your current shocks are busted :D

Makes perfect sense. I can see why many of them are labeled "LT" for "Light Truck".
A little off topic but i'll ask anyway ...new to me Rubicon has BF Goodrich KO2 275x70x16 load range "D" ...PO had them aired to 35psi I dropped it to 30psi...rides pretty rough ...hard top ...winch on front & 65# rear bumper ...no load other than me !...Rancho 5000...what psi do you recommend ?...& I have gone through the search engine & found nothing on this size tire ...thanks & take care

A little off topic but i'll ask anyway ...new to me Rubicon has BF Goodrich KO2 275x70x16 load range "D" ...PO had them aired to 35psi I dropped it to 30psi...rides pretty rough ...hard top ...winch on front & 65# rear bumper ...no load other than me !...Rancho 5000...what psi do you recommend ?...& I have gone through the search engine & found nothing on this size tire ...thanks & take care

26 psi is optimal from what I’ve found. Anything over that and it’s gets rough.

Hopefully you have the Rancho RS5000X and not the RS5000. The latter ones ride like complete garbage.