Going from load range E tires, to load range D

Imagine a load range C at 28 psi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to imagine it would ride even better!

I wasn't finding many load range C tires in a 35x12.5R17 though unfortunately. I was pretty surprised about that too.

Reactions: BendLarry
I suspect that’s one of the reasons 15 inch wheels are so popular.

I agree. I see plenty of 35" tires for 15" wheels in load C.

The ONLY C rated tire I can find for 35" tires and 17" rims is a Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. That's literally it... all the others are E rated, and one or two are D rated.

These ones I have are D rated, which is odd, because on the BF Goodrich site they list the same size a E rated, with no D rated option.

as a side note I run a rural water system & use Firestone TransForce 2 tires...only tire that will last over 20k mi ...E load [10 ply] ...gravel roads & have very few flats at 40psi on a F150 4x4 ....at 70 I don't like flats !!...also pull a small trackhoe with this truck...take care

Reactions: Chris
one of the reasons is to match the tires to the weight of the vehicle for safety, weight carrying ability and ride quality
Best quote on this topic in years.

Basically, Load Range C, half ton, D, 3/4 ton, E, 1 ton.

And P-Metric are passenger car tires, standard on most Wranglers because... they are passenger "cars".

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and BendLarry
As many of you know, I recently switched from my factory Moab wheels and 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratrac tires to a set of 17" AEV Pintlers and 35x12.5 BF Goodrich KM2 Mud Terrain tires.

The Duratracs were load E, and these new KM2s are load D.

I ideally wanted a load C, but I found that the majority of tires for 17" rims seem to be load D.

Anyhow, I had never driven my TJ on anything but load E tires. Even my previous TJ had the same tires, so I really had nothing to compare them to. I would constantly hear people such as @Jerry Bransford suggesting that people complaining of a stiff ride switch to a C rated tire.

I have my KM2s at 26 psi (same psi I ran the Duratracs at), and the difference is surreal ....

..... load rating makes a huge difference in the ride of the vehicle, probably even more so than shocks .... Just don't forget to run them at the right psi.

To those of you complaining about how your TJ doesn't ride like a JK... Get some Rancho RS5000X shocks, get some C or D rated tires, and run them at 26 psi. Then you can stop complaining!

You really don't need a 1ton rated tire on a 'car' .......
Glad you've made the switch.
Enjoy !

The ONLY C rated tire I can find for 35" tires and 17" rims is a Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. That's literally it... all the others are E rated, and one or two are D rated.

These ones I have are D rated, which is odd, because on the BF Goodrich site they list the same size a E rated, with no D rated option.

I suspect some of this is because new vehicles are getting heavier and the current fad of "Overlanding" where you load up the vehicle to GVM or over with every camping item known to man.

I suspect some of this is because new vehicles are getting heavier and the current fad of "Overlanding" where you load up the vehicle to GVM or over with every camping item known to man.

I think you’re right. I looked everywhere I could find, and they are all D or E rated. Actually, very few were even D rated.

If I ever replace these things, looks like I’ll probsbly go with the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar. Those are the only C rated ones they make. Very unfortunate!

I suspect some of this is because new vehicles are getting heavier
No, Load Ratings have always been about F100s with 15" tires had LRC. F250s came with 16s and LRDs. F350s also came with 16s but LRE.... Somewhere in there were 16.5s. The 17s are a new phenomenon with no more reason to exist than 18s or 20s or 22s.

True compared to an F350 with a 460, a F450 diesel dually is outrageously more heavy. But CJs, YJs, TJs, JKs, really have not gotten exponentially heavier. And tire selection in 15" sizes is huge. Ya just have to commit to the engineering rather than the marketing, hype and ego. The reason no one makes 16s, 17s in LRC is because the market is tiny.

No Wrangler, Lexus, Land Rover or Grand Cherokee needs anything more than LRC 15s. And when you get right down to the science of off roading, over landing, 15s with maximum sidewall and lots of flex at 15psi beat the shit out of a 17 LRE with little flex even running flat.

Ride and handling is about reducing unsprung weight. Think 15s and alloy rims.

Last edited:
Reactions: BendLarry and Chris
Ride and handling is about reducing unsprung weight. Think 15s and alloy rims.

To a point, big balloon 15" tyres with massive sidewalls will have crap on-road handling characteristics compared to say 17" rims with a smaller sidewall (when comparing same overall diameters). Off-road its probably in the 15"'s favour.

Agree on the unsprung weight and I've seen the differences going from a 10kg wheel and tire package to a 7kg package on a 500kg Lotus and the results were quite good. Expecting similar results dropping 10kg per corner on a live axle Jeep loaded up with winches and armour probably won't be all that noticable however.

Expecting similar results dropping 10kg per corner on a live axle Jeep loaded up with winches and armour probably won't be all that noticable however.

2 major things affect ride. Sprung/Unsprung Ratio. So adding weight to the Jeep, ie winches, bumpers etc while reducing unsprung weight, ie alloy rims and lighter rubber will both improve ride. And sidewall flex. That Lotus won't ride near as smooth as a Lincoln. And a Jeep with 325/65/20sLRE won't ride as nice as a Jeep with 35x12.50x15sLRC.

Was that 500kg Lotus a Seven ? Cuz this rides like a skateboard. Even when we add 500# of people.

Super 7.jpg

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I run "E" 10ply Firestone TransForce AT2 on my F150 for one reason ....no/very few flats ....I am a water operator that travels gravel/unpaved roads 90% of the time ...TransForce get 30 to 40K miles without or very few flats....Have used Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT2 & General Grabber AT2 in the past & they will not stand up to these roads....TransForce is run daily at 45psi with no problems ...rough but no flats ....take care....;)

I run "E" 10ply Firestone TransForce AT2 on my F150 for one reason ....no/very few flats ....I am a water operator that travels gravel/unpaved roads 90% of the time ...TransForce get 30 to 40K miles without or very few flats....Have used Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT2 & General Grabber AT2 in the past & they will not stand up to these roads....TransForce is run daily at 45psi with no problems ...rough but no flats ....take care....;)

How about something like the Goodyear Wrangler M/T R with kevlar? Those things are C rated, but apparently very hard to puncture.

How about something like the Goodyear Wrangler M/T R with kevlar? Those things are C rated, but apparently very hard to puncture.
Nothing personal but I don't want any tire that has Goodyear written on it ...Have Wrangler's that came apart in less than 5K mi. ....Farmers around here run Firestone & they'll try any brand but always come back to the transforce...Friend of mine tried the M/T R on a 2018 F250 Screw diesel & blew one running 85 going to Memphis...heat buildup is what was blamed....lucky no damage to him or truck ...thanks for the help with my KO 2s made a 100mi run today half 26psi & other half at 28psi think I like the 28psi more stable in the road & at 70 yrs young I need all the help I can get..lol...take care

Nothing personal but I don't want any tire that has Goodyear written on it ...Have Wrangler's that came apart in less than 5K mi. ....Farmers around here run Firestone & they'll try any brand but always come back to the transforce...Friend of mine tried the M/T R on a 2018 F250 Screw diesel & blew one running 85 going to Memphis...heat buildup is what was blamed....lucky no damage to him or truck ...thanks for the help with my KO 2s made a 100mi run today half 26psi & other half at 28psi think I like the 28psi more stable in the road & at 70 yrs young I need all the help I can get..lol...take care

Heat increases when tires are under inflated. Another reason to run the proper tire for the vehicle weight and load requirements, so you don’t have to run them flat and your teeth don’t fall out.

I too tried 26 psi in my BFG KO2s (245/75/16) then increased the pressure to 28psi and liked the ride better. I did go up to 30 psi but they felt too stiff.

Reactions: Kent Dakin
Have used Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT2 & General Grabber AT2 in the past & they will not stand up to these roads
Exactly what everyone says to do..... Run the tires which work for you. When I worked in the NWT around blast rock, I asked the mines what they ran and I never looked back. We need to show some respect for people with different needs.

2 major things affect ride. Sprung/Unsprung Ratio. So adding weight to the Jeep, ie winches, bumpers etc while reducing unsprung weight, ie alloy rims and lighter rubber will both improve ride. And sidewall flex. That Lotus won't ride near as smooth as a Lincoln. And a Jeep with 325/65/20sLRE won't ride as nice as a Jeep with 35x12.50x15sLRC.View attachment 48810

Agree, but there's a balance with ride and handling (and we do use our TJ's mostly getting where we wheel). So it's getting that balance correct for you.

Agree, but there's a balance with ride and handling (and we do use our TJ's mostly getting where we wheel). So it's getting that balance correct for you.

Very true. A lot of us (myself included) drive our TJs as much on-road as we do off-road, so finding a tire that is a happy medium is what we're after.

In my case, these D rated KM2s are phenomenal!