Going to see a TJ for first Jeep

P4ddyC4ke

Hello All,

New Member here. I am going to see a '97 4.0 TJ Wrangler Sport this weekend. This would be my first Jeep / 4x4. We have a handshake no haggle take or leave it price negotiated as of today. I am mechanically inclined. Here's what I know...

245,000 miles on Odometer but Has a Jasper Remanufactured engine and AX15 Transmission with about 40,000 miles on it, with pictures of the paper work when installed.
35x12.50R15 tires. 2 new Cooper Evolution, needs 2 tires in the front
Rouge Country Lifted Suspension - I'm new to jeeps so I don't know the amount
All Control arm Bushings changed
Brush Guard Front Bumper
Rear Tire Mount/Bumper w/ Hitch Receiver
Newer full soft top
Full Size Doors
Tall Jack with hood mount
Snorkel Kit
Pictures look to be rust free in the frame and floor boards
Body has dings and scratches / peeling, didn't seem to have bubbling.
AC not Working

What else should I look for when I go to see it?

Thank you for your patience.

-P4ddy

281083216_10224763022560545_1607352709135297901_n.jpg

281131676_10224763023800576_5109338064448229815_n.jpg

281202100_10224763022120534_8952729699426106698_n.jpg

281298531_10224763023840577_2627786752731801779_n.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome.

#1 = start at the frame. Exterior rust doesn't mean as much as interior rust. Reach your fingers inside the larger holes and feel around. Surface rust is okay, but those frames can rust away to almost nothing internally without looking too bad outside. The steel should be thick and solid.
#2 = walk away or keep looking based on #1

The way it drives will tell you a lot about the lift. It takes a lot of joints in good condition to make it drive tight and stable. If it's loosey-goosey, there could be one or a dozen things to fix.

Seller was Asking $7500. We negotiated from there. I apologize that I am hesitant to disclose the price. Being new to the forum... I've had things scooped out from under me before on other forums, not Jeep of course. Please forgive me.

Reactions: matkal
Seller was Asking $7500. We negotiated from there. I apologize that I am hesitant to disclose the price. Being new to the forum... I've had things scooped out from under me before on other forums, not Jeep of course. Please forgive me.

Unacceptable.

No I understand.
Rough country isn’t a great lift.
What’s your budget? Are you looking for jeeps in that price range exclusively?

Reactions: sideproject
And are you looking for a lifted, big-tire Jeep, or something closer to stock so you can do it your way?

Concerning things to me:

1. 35’s on a Rough Country lift. What other supporting mods for the 35’s? Axles, regear, steering, etc.?

2. Two mismatched steering stabilizers. Obviously done different times and often used to mask death wobble or poor driving characteristics.

3. Crappy paint overspray on the underside perhaps hiding rust.

Few if any redeeming qualities on this cheaply lifted rig. I believe you’ll spend more of your time diagnosing and undoing the fuckery on that thing than enjoying it.

Adding to what's already been said...

Front tires are ancient. Those haven't been made in +10 years.

Aftermarket mirror looks like it's holding the snorkel (which doesn't do anything) on.

They didn't bother to clean up the underside and body bushings look like they're toast.

All adds up to make me wonder how it's been taken care of and what we can't see that you'll end up spending your time and $ fixing.

Unacceptable.

No I understand.
Rough country isn’t a great lift.
What’s your budget? Are you looking for jeeps in that price range exclusively?

Yeah kind of. Of the jeeps I’ve seen around me, most are clapped out, rusted out high mileage vehicles. I’ve always wanted a Jeep, I’ve just never been in the position to get one.

Concerning things to me:

1. 35’s on a Rough Country lift. What other supporting mods for the 35’s? Axles, regear, steering, etc.?

2. Two mismatched steering stabilizers. Obviously done different times and often used to mask death wobble or poor driving characteristics.

3. Crappy paint overspray on the underside perhaps hiding rust.

Few if any redeeming qualities on this cheaply lifted rig. I believe you’ll spend more of your time diagnosing and undoing the fuckery on that thing than enjoying it.

1. No idea. Great questions that I will ask.

2. I didn’t notice that. Would questions on this be answered in the ones from your #1, or is there some follow up needed?

3. I will definitely be looking at rust situations. I am prepared to walk away and just consider it an afternoon drive to look at the scenery.

Thank you for your insights.

Don't buy it just for the 'look'.
Find something closer to stock that's more reliable.
What size engine?
Has it been regeared?
If the AC doesn't work, what else has been neglected?

It might be a good toy for the woods, for the right price.

Reactions: JMT
Adding to what's already been said...

Front tires are ancient. Those haven't been made in +10 years.

Aftermarket mirror looks like it's holding the snorkel (which doesn't do anything) on.

They didn't bother to clean up the underside and body bushings look like they're toast.

All adds up to make me wonder how it's been taken care of and what we can't see that you'll end up spending your time and $ fixing.

Would you say the pricing justifies some of the potential repairs/unknowns?

The 2 front tires are the ones needing replaced. The rear ones are nearly new.

The snorkel appears non functional? Like just a decoration? How would I check this?

Is it difficult to change body bushings? Other things I should look at that might not be so obvious?

Don't buy it just for the 'look'.
Find something closer to stock that's more reliable.
What size engine?
Has it been regeared?
If the AC doesn't work, what else has been neglected?

It’s the 4.0 6
I’ll ask about regearing or see if I can get a look at the papers from the Jasper transmission

On the AC he was going to add one of the $300 kits to replace the old stuff.

Would you say the pricing justifies some of the potential repairs/unknowns?

The 2 front tires are the ones needing replaced. The rear ones are nearly new.

The snorkel appears non functional? Like just a decoration? How would I check this?

Is it difficult to change body bushings? Other things I should look at that might not be so obvious?

If you're willing and able to do your own work, and are ok with a potential project... maybe.

The snorkel may be functional if it's attached to the air box. I meant they don't provide any benefit. Dust at hood level will still be at the snorkel level.

The combo of low quality parts others have mentioned, plus the indicators of questionable upkeep would make it a pass for me.

Seeing all of your comments, I feel like I should tell you the price and see if it makes a difference in perspective.

$6500 is where we landed.

If this doesn’t seem to be right, where do you think it should be?