good bike rack?

Matt Sharp

hey guys, my jeep has 35"s and I just bought a Trek trail bike. wondering what rack for it would clear the spare tire and be a good rack. I was looking at Thule racks but I just want to make sure the one I get clears the rear rack.

Have you thought about a rack that mounts to your spare tire? If you're still using the stock spare tire carrier this might not be an option.

I have the Mopar unit on my LJ. I don't think I'd like to have to swing down a hitch receiver mounted carrier every time I wanted to open my tailgate or lift glass. I'm not carrying a hi dollar bike so the Mopar carrier works for me. I only use my bike for transportation when I have the jeep at a campsite. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: JP13
This is a thule hitch mount, plenty of clearance.
20170204_165414.jpg

Reactions: Matt Sharp
I didn't want to hang my bikes off of the spare tire so I made one out of 2 roof top bike carriers. I welded them individually to 2" hitch receivers that fit into each other and can take 1 bike or 2 at a time. I also wanted to be able to open my tailgate with the rack(s) on so I made them to go below the bottom line of the tailgate. I can take the bikes of and on within abut 10 seconds so it's quite east to use.

picture.php?albumid=3124&pictureid=52655.jpg

picture.php?albumid=3124&pictureid=52657.jpg

Here it is with 2 bikes on the back of my expedition trailer (unfinished at the time) ...
picture.php?albumid=4455&pictureid=53273.jpg

Reactions: bobthetj03 and CRGR