Good for a first time driver?

Nicelil97

Hey everyone. I thought who better than to answer this question. I'm new to Jeeps and picked up a '97 Sahara. I needed a new commuter anyway and my daughter will need a car in a couple of years. We both love Jeeps so I thought what better way to evaluate if it will be a good car for her as a first time driver than buy one and enjoy it while I "evaluated" it. It's exactly what I was looking for, bone stock and low miles - it only had 46k on it and it's almost cherry. I'll do trails but no rock crawling and she can lift it if she wants later, I expect it will be a mall crawler for awhile. I'm using it as a daily driver to shake it down, it isn't a great commuter but the minor issues are overcome by what a great car it is, I seriously love it. I've got the minor mechanical issues sorted, I wanted to ask this forum your opinion on it's suitability for a first time driver and what, if anything, would you do to make it any better for what she will need it for? Thanks in advance.

Jeep.jpg

Ok, here's my take -

The Jeep is a peach .

First time vehicle ? Yes and no .

They are simple , practical and fun , but a TJ reacts quick to driver input , so they steer quick . If she's a focused , conservative driver , she will be fine .

Now the rest of the story - everybody wants to ride in the Jeep. That means 5-6 kids pile in , and your insurance is covering the whole gang. Take the top off and teens run to it .

Next is her boyfriend ...and if she doesn't have one , she will when she gets the jeep . Maybe several .

What you do is meet the little perverts at the door .

Say " Do you see that gorgeous little thing ? She better be treated with respect and care" ...then go on and tell them about your daughter too.

Tell them you ain't afraid to GO BACK to prison .

My guess is by the time she is old enough to drive you will have it running a 4" lift on 33's and be looking for her a Hyundai.

Mine is a 98 sport TJ and even though its mine I taught my daughter how to drive stick shift in it..she loved it and found it very easy to learn, plus the elevated driving position makes it easy to see above other traffic to pick out potential hazards ahead.
Downside would be the gas mileage for a student maybe, most TJ's have a drinking problem.

Classic coloured Sarhara...well bought

Reactions: Nicelil97
suitability for a first time driver
Compact, great visibility, bulletproof.

It has one of the best driver fatality survival rates according to the insurance industry.
Capable 4x4, great security, just drive over the curb if you are scared.
All weather capability. Storms are not likely to stop it.

I say it handles better, more secure than most SUVs out there.
It is a TJ. If it attracts a boyfriend, he must be OK.

Awesome TJ, great colour combo, looks all stock, big plus.

We require the keys to test it out for the first weekend after you post .

Please have the tank filled , we have been having problems with that .

And the keys where we can find them , we have had to hot wire several lately.

I would only let her drive it with you in the passenger seat so she realizes that cars go FAST, meaning there is a ton of physics for her to feel at the wheel of a TJ that must be respected. Then get her a car with all the modern safety gadgets for her daily. Inexperienced drivers=over reactions=rollovers in these things. Then there’s texting...

I learned to drive in my 2001 Sahara 5 speed on roads that were constantly covered in snow/ice. I didn't end up dying or horribly maimed. Less than a year later, I lifted it, put on mud tires, and drove it around on the same snowy/icey roads. Still didn't die. Never had a single incident actually. I wasn't exactly the most conservative driver when I was learning either (read I drifted every single empty snowy corner I could).

Moral of the story, learning to drive in a TJ in even the worst of conditions isn't a problem unless you're truly careless.

Ok, here's my take -

The Jeep is a peach .

First time vehicle ? Yes and no .

They are simple , practical and fun , but a TJ reacts quick to driver input , so they steer quick . If she's a focused , conservative driver , she will be fine .

Now the rest of the story - everybody wants to ride in the Jeep. That means 5-6 kids pile in , and your insurance is covering the whole gang. Take the top off and teens run to it .

Next is her boyfriend ...and if she doesn't have one , she will when she gets the jeep . Maybe several .

What you do is meet the little perverts at the door .

Say " Do you see that gorgeous little thing ? She better be treated with respect and care" ...then go on and tell them about your daughter too.

Tell them you ain't afraid to GO BACK to prison .

My guess is by the time she is old enough to drive you will have it running a 4" lift on 33's and be looking for her a Hyundai.
Agreed on all points. They've changed the laws for young drivers in CO, so long as she is following it. She can only have one family member in it for awhile....I'll have to learn the rest. Yes, I think she is probably too conservative, she is a rule follower, for now. The only fear I have so far is the handling in the snow, it kind of sucks but better than my first car, '78 Camaro - now that car sucked in the snow and I survived. Thanks for the advice.

Mine is a 98 sport TJ and even though its mine I taught my daughter how to drive stick shift in it..she loved it and found it very easy to learn, plus the elevated driving position makes it easy to see above other traffic to pick out potential hazards ahead.
Downside would be the gas mileage for a student maybe, most TJ's have a drinking problem.

Classic coloured Sarhara...well bought
Yep, the best I've gotten is 20 mpg, averaging around 18...until I put in in 4wd, then it's thirstier than me at an outdoor summer concert. Thanks.

I would only let her drive it with you in the passenger seat so she realizes that cars go FAST, meaning there is a ton of physics for her to feel at the wheel of a TJ that must be respected. Then get her a car with all the modern safety gadgets for her daily. Inexperienced drivers=over reactions=rollovers in these things. Then there’s texting...
Yeah, that crossed my mind, too. She is super smart and trustworthy, it's her friends I worry about.