Good for a first time driver?

Compact, great visibility, bulletproof.

It has one of the best driver fatality survival rates according to the insurance industry.
Capable 4x4, great security, just drive over the curb if you are scared.
All weather capability. Storms are not likely to stop it.

I say it handles better, more secure than most SUVs out there.
It is a TJ. If it attracts a boyfriend, he must be OK.

Awesome TJ, great colour combo, looks all stock, big plus.
Good stats, I'll have to share with the wife:) Thanks

I learned to drive in my 2001 Sahara 5 speed on roads that were constantly covered in snow/ice. I didn't end up dying or horribly maimed. Less than a year later, I lifted it, put on mud tires, and drove it around on the same snowy/icey roads. Still didn't die. Never had a single incident actually. I wasn't exactly the most conservative driver when I was learning either (read I drifted every single empty snowy corner I could).

Moral of the story, learning to drive in a TJ in even the worst of conditions isn't a problem unless you're truly careless.
I must be doing something wrong in the snow, this thing slides all over the place. I think it's because of how light it is and the small wheel base. I put 100# of sand in the back, mostly cause that's what I do with my truck. Anything else I can do to improve the handling in the snow? I've been driving in CO snow for 30+ years, I have it pretty much figured out in my other cars. Thanks

Reactions: DrDmoney
I see where this is going, “driving it for a couple years before she gets it.” Either one of two things will happen, she’s not getting it and you’ll have to get another one for her or you’ll give it to her and get you another one ;)

I must be doing something wrong in the snow, this thing slides all over the place. I think it's because of how light it is and the small wheel base. I put 100# of sand in the back, mostly cause that's what I do with my truck. Anything else I can do to improve the handling in the snow? I've been driving in CO snow for 30+ years, I have it pretty much figured out in my other cars. Thanks
Living in Denver, you probably know which tires work best in the snow...I don't know how well the Cooper Discoverer tires on the TJ handle snow...

Mostly the short wheel base, interestingly my LJ was never too bad, 10" makes all the difference I guess. You are on the right Track with weight, I've always used old ups batteries, great weight to size ratio. Good snow tires will make a huge impact, and I don't mean all terrain, I mean proper snows. I only pull 4x4 leaving lights in bad conditions or on the highway in really bad conditions. Around town I tend to keep the 4x4 off and let it hang out a little.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Best buy sells a hard-wired backup camera... It is absolutely fantastic... The screen is in the mirror... I have one and I absolutely love it.

Nice find! I had a set of duratrac tires and they were the best tire I've ever had in snow/ice conditions. They really grip to everything.

Shes a lucky gal! Before you know it you two will be tackling Holy Cross up in Leadville.

I almost feel bad driving it and racking up the miles....almost.
I can see that , my Rubicon has 31,000. I feel like a criminal rolling on miles .

Whatever you paid , it was worth it .

Find a factory hardtop unless you have one .

You bought the jeep we love to see people get , nice condition, low miles , unmolested .

My wife and I fell in love again last year in ours with the top down .

Hey everyone. I thought who better than to answer this question. I'm new to Jeeps and picked up a '97 Sahara. I needed a new commuter anyway and my daughter will need a car in a couple of years. We both love Jeeps so I thought what better way to evaluate if it will be a good car for her as a first time driver than buy one and enjoy it while I "evaluated" it. It's exactly what I was looking for, bone stock and low miles - it only had 46k on it and it's almost cherry. I'll do trails but no rock crawling and she can lift it if she wants later, I expect it will be a mall crawler for awhile. I'm using it as a daily driver to shake it down, it isn't a great commuter but the minor issues are overcome by what a great car it is, I seriously love it. I've got the minor mechanical issues sorted, I wanted to ask this forum your opinion on it's suitability for a first time driver and what, if anything, would you do to make it any better for what she will need it for? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 77066
that jeep looks familiar ;)

I see where this is going, “driving it for a couple years before she gets it.” Either one of two things will happen, she’s not getting it and you’ll have to get another one for her or you’ll give it to her and get you another one ;)
Shhh, don't tell my wife. Am I that transparent?

Reactions: Big Red 1
Bought a 98 TJ last year and insurance would only allow wife and I to drive it. They won't cover our 21 or 19 year old daughters.

Bought a 98 TJ last year and insurance would only allow wife and I to drive it. They won't cover our 21 or 19 year old daughters.

You couldn't get coverage for a 20 year old Jeep? Did they give you a reason for that? I've had no problem getting insurance on my lifted Jeep as a 15-20 year old male. I'm statistically much more likely to get into an accident than your daughters are as well.

It an absolute fact that 99% of first vehicles are wrecked or destroyed from lack of care. Go cheap, not a jeep.
Good! I'm in the 1% of something!!!
My 3 son's and my first cars:
1986 Jeep Cherokee
1969 Mustang
1970 Camaro
2004 Jeep Wrangler

All lived happy lives with us. Except the engine killed the trany in the Cherokee.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My TJ was my first ‘car’ (and still my only), taught myself how to drive manual in it just fine. I wouldn’t recommend it as a first car to everyone but as long as the driver understands the quirks of a Jeep and drives in a way that respects them then there’s no reason why it wouldn’t be fine for a first time driver, well except maybe for the fuel consumption lol

My TJ was my first ‘car’ (and still my only), taught myself how to drive manual in it just fine. I wouldn’t recommend it as a first car to everyone but as long as the driver understands the quirks of a Jeep and drives in a way that respects them then there’s no reason why it wouldn’t be fine for a first time driver, well except maybe for the fuel consumption lol
the same situation for me, however finding a nice TJ in ne is very difficult

It’s crazy how many people put seat risers in TJ’s...I personally don’t really consider pre-2003 models because I’ve heard their seats are higher. I can barely see under the roofline of mine as is, but I guess that’s what being six foot freakin six will do to ya.
Your Sahara may have tilt steering, I'm not sure. My 02 X doesn't, and I'm 5'8" and like a lower steering wheel when driving (read: almost in my lap). I added 1.25" seat lifters yesterday and really like the difference so far.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-country-1-seat-risers-tj-1158.html