Good location to store portable air compressor?

Xposure

TJ Enthusiast
Im needing to buy a portable air compressor. Is there a good place besides behind the back seat to store any of the popular portable compressors? Ideally I’d like one I can strap down to the abs bracket but that is a small tight space so I’m doubting that will work. I really don’t want to fix it to the Jeep, preferably I’d like to keep it in a bag with a few accessories and strap it somewhere safe and out of the way.

I really don’t want to use the space behind the back seat because when we go riding we put other stuff back there like a cooler and such. Also don’t need to put anything under the drivers seat because it’ll get stepped on when people are getting in and out of the back.

Also since I haven’t bought one yet I’m really not sure how much space most of them need. I need one to air up 33x12.5 tires....it doesn’t have to be super fast, just reliably get the job done. I’m considering a Viair 400P auto.

Where do you guys put yours?

I use the Viair 88P. It will inflate 33's. Clamps to the battery when you need it. I store mine under the hood on the driver's side near the Master Brake Cylinder. I strapped it on with a zip tie. I can air all four tires without removing it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ASY23I/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Do you strap the hose and everything there? You happen to have a engine bay picture that shows it?

Yes, I strap the whole thing there. I'll have to take a pic later!

Reactions: Xposure
X2 with the Viair 88P and with it living on the empty ABS tray.
I zip-tie the hoses up nice and neat and bungee the unit right to the tray.

I have a non-portable compressor but managed to fit it on the ABS tray (Well I removed the tray but same idea) :) It was tight but we got it to work.

F4785463-D532-4E45-B11B-465497B53E05.jpeg

X2 with the Viair 88P and with it living on the empty ABS tray.
I zip-tie the hoses up nice and neat and bungee the unit right to the tray.

That is exactly what I was wanting to do...get something small that I could attach directly to the abs tray. I was looking at the 400P but it’s substantially larger than the 88P.
The 88P is 9.8Lx3.2Wx5.6H
The 400P is 10.87Lx5.83Wx7.48H

Based on Mr Bills thread it looks like the 400P might fit...but I have a feeling it’ll be so tight that there won’t be room for the hose and battery cables.

For you guys with the 88P are you just using the air hose that came on it? It appears that the hose isn’t replaceable and that the gauge is built into the compressor so I suppose you guys just hook it up and time it to get an idea of if your close then check with a separate pressure gauge? I wish the 88P had a coiled hose with standard fittings so I could attach my air nozzle with built in gauge to it....or at least the ability to add that....but oh well we can’t always have it all. :)

The odd shape (not evenly square and rectangular) and how I can mount it without the hose. The hose is also in the front not the side, and so it will take some unnecessary space. Unless I buy the bigger version, it has a square bracket, but then it is too big to fit it all into the engine bay.

The odd shape (not evenly square and rectangular) and how I can mount it without the hose. The hose is also in the front not the side, and so it will take some unnecessary space.

Did you have to modify it to get the standard hose fitting on it?

With the MT-50 I did not modify it. But the ViAir, I need to do a bit of fab works and so I gave up on it.
View attachment 52650View attachment 52651

So the MT50 came with that standard quick connect type fitting? I thought I read that it has some kind of odd ball fitting on it. I wish it fit on the abs tray....well I say that but looking at how you put your accessories on the abs tray that is pretty nice.

So the MT50 came with that standard quick connect type fitting? I thought I read that it has some kind of odd ball fitting on it. I wish it fit on the abs tray....well I say that but looking at how you put your accessories on the abs tray that is pretty nice.
Thanks, it does the job. Some peace of mind as well.
I helped an old lady one time with a front flat tire stranded at a Walmart parking lot. Her spare was also flat.
When I opened my engine bay, her jaw dropped, it made my day.

For you guys with the 88P are you just using the air hose that came on it? It appears that the hose isn’t replaceable and that the gauge is built into the compressor so I suppose you guys just hook it up and time it to get an idea of if your close then check with a separate pressure gauge? I wish the 88P had a coiled hose with standard fittings so I could attach my air nozzle with built in gauge to it....or at least the ability to add that....but oh well we can’t always have it all. :)
Shut the power off and the gauge shows the current tire pressure.

Reactions: EJD
I tried all my options with ViAir and to no avail, I ended up with a small MT-50 just behind the windshield plastic container..

Well I had it in mind to mount mine how yours is but I just realized my 99 had a vac tank there that runs back to the fuel tank.

Guess I'm back to mounting it where the abs would normally go