Good places to live in Texas

You might want to consider an area like Santa Fe NM, my wife and I have spent a lot of time there over the years and that was one area that was on our list. There is no serious heat in the summer, typically in the 80"s with low humidity, traffic is far from overwhelming, and it's not prone to natural disasters. The down side, it does snow in the winter but the temps do not get cold like you are experiencing now. After a snowfall it warms up nicely and the snow does not hang around. Home prices are not cheap but 250K is doable.

Interesting, we'll definitely check that out. I can deal with snow from time-to-time (within reason), it's all the damn rain and grey skies that kill me!

If you like the Austin area move to North Austin. Leander, Cedar Park, Round Rock. They are all about an hour drive away from Hiddenfalls adventure park, the only place close to go wheeling at. It is growing, so I think now would be a good time to buy a house. Its quiet, family friendly and there is a good amount of things to do in Austin. Houses are nice here. I grew up in this area and I would not mind staying in this area and when my time comes raise a family.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I've always thought that North Austin was extremely crowded? South Austin is getting more crowded as we speak...irritating...however I would think South Austin be the better choice?

Interesting, we'll definitely check that out. I can deal with snow from time-to-time (within reason), it's all the damn rain and grey skies that kill me!

My wife cousin (the sister she never had) lives there and we have been vacationing there since the late 80's and we love the area. Rain is never an issue there and the summer heat is very agreeable with low humidity as it's at 7000' elevation. It snows pretty regular but the next day it's melting and flowing red streams down the road. Taos is 90 minutes north with great skiing but there is skiing right nearby at Santa Fe Ski Basin. Your about 65 miles from Albuquerque which is a busy area and the ride is wonderful. there is also a train that runs a regular schedule to the airport in Albuquerque.

Reactions: Chris
My wife cousin (the sister she never had) lives there and we have been vacationing there since the late 80's and we love the area. Rain is never an issue there and the summer heat is very agreeable with low humidity as it's at 7000' elevation. It snows pretty regular but the next day it's melting and flowing red streams down the road. Taos is 90 minutes north with great skiing but there is skiing right nearby at Santa Fe Ski Basin. Your about 65 miles from Albuquerque which is a busy area and the ride is wonderful. there is also a train that runs a regular schedule to the airport in Albuquerque.

It sounds great! Which then begs the question... why didn't you move there?

Reactions: TJ4Jim
It sounds great! Which then begs the question... why didn't you move there?

Well we gave it a lot of consideration as Santa Fe and the Oregon coast are both beautiful places and the architecture there is wonderful but the one thing we both are attached to is the ocean and there is not to much of that around Santa Fe, and after living on the east coast all our lives we both have had enough of the snow.

Well we gave it a lot of consideration as Santa Fe and the Oregon coast are both beautiful places and the architecture there is wonderful but the one thing we both are attached to is the ocean and there is not to much of that around Santa Fe, and after living on the east coast all our lives we both have had enough of the snow.

I hear ya! The coast can be a huge must have for some people, so that makes complete sense.

I lived in Conroe Texas for 3 years growing up in the early 80s. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to live. I would visit it because there are a lot of cool places in Texas but the stinking heat and humidity during the summer months makes my home states summer, Michigan (which has its own humidity issues), seem so very mild. Nothing like Arizona. I guess if you stick to the southwest it resembles Arizona more? I don't know. I was closer to Houston. I enjoyed corpis cristy,Galveston and of course Astro world. Didn't enjoy hurricane Alicia,fire ants,cockroaches or vast amounts of poisonous snakes lol. I know there are forum members that live there and love it. And that's great. We need ppl there so Mexico doesn't take it back lol. I just think your kids might not want to go outside cause it's too stinking hot all the time. Not much of a winter tho. Good or bad depending on what you think of snow.
I'm sure this comes off as bashing Texas, not my intention. I just can't point out good climate reasons to live there. I understand that 9 months of rain would get old.

Happy hunting

I really like Santa Fe!

I would be surprised if you found anything affordable in Santa Fe. Their real estate prices have been out of control for years...but good luck hunting. NM has great weather. 4 seasons, not too hot in the summer, no humidity. And NO RUST.

I'd live outside of Albuquerque if I could, but where we currently live is gorgeous. Too expensive to move.

Best thing about living in NM is the proximity to Colorado & Utah off-roading areas, i.e.. Ouray/Silverton & Moab, without the Colorado winters.

Reactions: Stinger
Well I don't know how Texas is as a whole. Is the entire state of Texas miserably humid, or is it just certain areas?

Yeah, part of what we're looking here is to move somewhere where the kids can go outside more without it always, always, always raining.

Well I don't know how Texas is as a whole. Is the entire state of Texas miserably humid, or is it just certain areas?

Yeah, part of what we're looking here is to move somewhere where the kids can go outside more without it always, always, always raining.

Chris,

One of the reasons we left NJ was the opressive heat and humidity from mid June to mid September and we were done hibernating in the summer. My cousin transferred to the Dallas Fort Worth area and he thought NJ was bad in the summer until he got there.

The southern and southeast parts are very hot and humid, northern Texas is a little more forgiving but still pretty humid.

Example: today
Beaumont is 73° @ 82% humidity
College station is 68° @ 84%
Dallas is 63° @ 75%

Ahhh, that's why I liked Arizona. It was hot as hell, but there was no humidity at all, which made it much more tolerable.

Ahhh, that's why I liked Arizona. It was hot as hell, but there was no humidity at all, which made it much more tolerable.

Arizona is a beautiful place, my sister lived in Tuscon and a close childhood friend lived in Phoenix so I spent a lot of time meandering the state. The heat was not to bad without the humidity and you can always head to the northern part to satisfy your tree fix.

Reactions: UpperMI and Chris
I remember flight school in Mineral Wells, TX. In the summer some helicopters could only carry 2 people because the density altitude was so high--temp and humidity. Also remember walking to our aircraft over several hundred yards of black asphalt. Pavement temp well over burn-your-feet-range! 130. Degrees

Last edited:
IMG_1770.jpg
I could be prejudiced but Colorado Springs seems to me to be the perfect place to live. Plains to the east - mountains to the west, a non humid climate, green and pretty a good share of the year, mostly mild winters, cool summers, and I don't work for the chamber of commerce. I live on the west (actually northwest) side of town and Drive by the Garden of the Gods most days. If I enter the garden, I can hop on Rampart Range Road and be on a fantastic uphill climb in minutes. If I want to take an extra 30-minutes, I can go up behind the Brodmoor and get on Old Stage Road which is a shortcut to Cripple Creek. Wheeling up on the south side of Pikes Peak is hard to beat but if I'm really determined to beat it, I can do a short days Drive to Ouray and wheel the San Juans. Nothing beats that!

Real estate values are very competitive and the taxes on real estate are low. Try that in Texas. Our only problem is that the Denver area has attracted tons of liberals from Californicate. Please help us by being conservative and moving to Colorado.

View attachment 9744 I could be prejudiced but Colorado Springs seems to me to be the perfect place to live. Plains to the east - mountains to the west, a non humid climate, green and pretty a good share of the year, mostly mild winters, cool summers, and I don't work for the chamber of commerce. I live on the west (actually northwest) side of town and Drive by the Garden of the Gods most days. If I enter the garden, I can hop on Rampart Range Road and be on a fantastic uphill climb in minutes. If I want to take an extra 30-minutes, I can go up behind the Brodmoor and get on Old Stage Road which is a shortcut to Cripple Creek. Wheeling up on the south side of Pikes Peak is hard to beat but if I'm really determined to beat it, I can do a short days Drive to Ouray and wheel the San Juans. Nothing beats that!

Real estate values are very competitive and the taxes on real estate are low. Try that in Texas. Our only problem is that the Denver area has attracted tons of liberals from Californicate. Please help us by being conservative and moving to Colorado.

I love Colorado, but I am pretty sure it's really, really expensive to live there now. I haven't looked in Colorado Springs though admittedly.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Haha! Well, Texas isn't a must. We just want to live somewhere with nicer weather, but the humidity is a bit off putting I must admit.

View attachment 9744 I could be prejudiced but Colorado Springs seems to me to be the perfect place to live. Plains to the east - mountains to the west, a non humid climate, green and pretty a good share of the year, mostly mild winters, cool summers, and I don't work for the chamber of commerce. I live on the west (actually northwest) side of town and Drive by the Garden of the Gods most days. If I enter the garden, I can hop on Rampart Range Road and be on a fantastic uphill climb in minutes. If I want to take an extra 30-minutes, I can go up behind the Brodmoor and get on Old Stage Road which is a shortcut to Cripple Creek. Wheeling up on the south side of Pikes Peak is hard to beat but if I'm really determined to beat it, I can do a short days Drive to Ouray and wheel the San Juans. Nothing beats that!

Stationed at Ft Carson for 4 years. Really liked the area. Definitely have to stay out of brown-out Denver area.
We thought about retiring in the Springs but after having spent a lifetime in the military I wanted some place that was quite so overwhelmingly military.