Alabama Good shop in north Alabama?

Robert Sullenger

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Anyone in north Alabama recommend a good shop to do a gear change? I live in Cullman, so something in the Birmingham or Huntsville area would be great. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Anyone in north Alabama recommend a good shop to do a gear change? I live in Cullman, so something in the Birmingham or Huntsville area would be great. Any advice would be very appreciated.
Yes sir , contact Cole - 256-640-7419 Robert. He is awesome. This young man is a whiz. I'd trust him with any vehicle, any problem.

I will contact him and let him know you may be in touch.

I live close to him , north of Arab, feel free to shout if you get up that way.

Andy

Wow, that was fast! Thank you so much! I’ll get in touch with him in a few days. I’m doing a 2” ome with 31’s, so I’m going with 4.10’s. Still debating on true tracs or lockers, since it won’t be a hard core crawler.

Reactions: John Cooper
i
Wow, that was fast! Thank you so much! I’ll get in touch with him in a few days. I’m doing a 2” ome with 31’s, so I’m going with 4.10’s. Still debating on true tracs or lockers, since it won’t be a hard core crawler.
That is an excellent choice all the way around ..tire size, gearing , lift height and brand.

Let me know how it works out. My #2 choice would be Chad at Lucky Dog Off-road ..he does a lot of gears..he can be found on Google.

If you are staying with stock track bars, consider a Moog K-7252 bushing for a 3/4 ton Dodge and larger bolt at the axle on front and JKS front sway bar links..that would be killer with what you are doing.

Keep us posted. I told Cole you may reach out.

Andy

It’s actually the super ultimate lift. We have a 2000 chili pepper edition (basically a sport with stickers & chrome bumpers) with 143k that’s never been touched. So I figured it would be best to replace everything while I’m at it.

It’s actually the super ultimate lift. We have a 2000 chili pepper edition (basically a sport with stickers & chrome bumpers) with 143k that’s never been touched. So I figured it would be best to replace everything while I’m at it.
That’s going to work out great...it will look good , drive good and work right...in other words you won’t mess it up. Tj’s aren’t hard to get right, just real easy to mess up. You are on the right the path. This forum is a great place....if anything freaky comes up , pm me...I’m 35 -40 minutes from you ...we can meet up. I don’t know it all, but I’ve fooled with a few and like to see them drive and handle well.

Reactions: Daryl
When I do my regear I will be going to 4.56 or 4.88. Just got to get other stuff done first and then save up for the regear.

Reactions: Midtenn
I’m gonna do gears,axels. & diffs all at once. I’ll probably wait a month or two after the lift is installed just to see what a difference it makes. We’ve had it for twenty years and never been off road with it.

I’m gonna do gears,axels. & diffs all at once. I’ll probably wait a month or two after the lift is installed just to see what a difference it makes. We’ve had it for twenty years and never been off road with it.
My 06 auto is has 32” tires and 4:10 gears , my 06 manual has 33 “ tires and 4:56. You are welcome to drive either if it helps you anticipate what you are planning .

Be careful I might take you up on it. Lol! What diffs are you running? In my head I know tru tracs will be all I need for the type of wheeling I want to do. But the idiot in me wants Detroit lockers f/r.

• Haha
Be careful I might take you up on it. Lol! What diffs are you running? In my head I know tru tracs will be all I need for the type of wheeling I want to do. But the idiot in me wants Detroit lockers f/r.
We are probably 20-25 minutes from meeting each other any evening since I live 10 minutes north of arab... And I've been threatening to come to the Shrimp Basket.

My lockers are the stock Rubicon lockers in both... I do have upgraded axles in the lifted 2003 with 4:56 gears and 33s.

Lockers make a massive difference off-road... You can climb things that are just scary without any effort or advanced driving skill.

I don't have enough experience with the other locker options to weigh in... But I'm certainly a fan of lockers and regearing.

Definitely take me up on it if you think it will help you at all... Also you can get a pretty good idea of what you can expect in drive quality.. my 2003 Rubi has 55,000 nearly and my 2006 has 77,000.

It would be great if you could come up to the house and drive both back to back .

Last edited:
The shrimp basket is good, you should try it. Eventually I would like to get together & do some trails with other people, but for the time being we’re just going to work & back home. My wife is five months pregnant and because of our ages we are considered high risk. While I think that covid isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be, I’m not taking any chances. Reading what Jerry has said about Detroit lockers is what turned me on to them & that’s probably the way I’m going. It’s not like we deal with much snow and ice down here.:)

The shrimp basket is good, you should try it. Eventually I would like to get together & do some trails with other people, but for the time being we’re just going to work & back home. My wife is five months pregnant and because of our ages we are considered high risk. While I think that covid isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be, I’m not taking any chances. Reading what Jerry has said about Detroit lockers is what turned me on to them & that’s probably the way I’m going. It’s not like we deal with much snow and ice down here.:)
Jerry knows what he's talking about.

I hit the shrimp basket every chance I get.

Shout when ready... congratulations on the baby. That's the good stuff right there.

Covid is a hard call.. it's not as bad as a lot of people want to say it is... And it's nowhere near harmless either....it may be a long long time before we really understand how we should have dealt with it.

I've been reading this thread seeking info on what I can do to my TJ, I'm moving back to North Alabama (Decatur) and will be looking for good place to get some work done on my 2000 Sport. Thanks for the info!
Thanks Y'all!!