Good work boots?

Danner is a great choice. Another I have used in the past and loved were DR. Martins. They grew up in the factories and are nonslip and oh so comfortable on a concrete floor. First designed for the cops

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
Before I retired, I went through 5 pairs of Redwings in my 34 years of being a Transportation/Flood Control worker.
In those early years working hot asphalt, I'd go through 2 pairs of cheap boots every season. And always waking up with sore feet. My Dr. told me that I had flat feet and to get some custom orthopedic insoles and stop buying cheap boots. So I've only known the quality of Redwings.

Oh and the store that I used to go to, my Wife always got a creepy feeling that the dude has a foot fetish. Didn't bother me, I like the attention. jajaja

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: matkal and Squatch
Check out Franks Boots. They're out of Spokane Washington and they build some high quailty boots. Mostly logger and wildland firefighter type boots. I had them build me a custom fit pair their Type 2 Highlander boot about 2 years ago and it's the best boot I've ever owned. Plus you can rebuild and resole the boot as needed. Check out Nicks Boots out of Spokane too.
Don't forget the OG boot maker in Spokane. https://www.whitesboots.com/#/page/home.

I have composite toe slip ons by Justin. They have no sole left and have been all over the country. Incredibly comfortable and lightweight (Ill never buy steel again). I hike in these on a regular basis too. My only complaint....not waterproof. I seal them up though every few months with a waterproofer.

https://www.justinoriginalworkboots.com/footwear/technology/composite-toe/WK4617
I have two other pair of boots (hunting, and work) and they are made by Irish Setter. Also a very comfortable boot.

Last edited:
I need a new pair of work boots and have never really found any pull-on boots that I felt were comfortable. I can't get another pair of lace-up though, the welding slag has this uncanny ability to find the one little spot that it can sneak in between the lacing flap and the tongue and I'm tired of burning holes in my left foot.

Hard toe isn't a requirement but, I would like to have them if I can. A sole with good traction but will also shed dirt instead of tracking it inside would be really nice but, the most important thing is that it be comfortable. Water resistance would also be a bonus.

I don't mind spending $200 or so for them if they'll last.

What should I get?

I need a new pair of work boots and have never really found any pull-on boots that I felt were comfortable. I can't get another pair of lace-up though, the welding slag has this uncanny ability to find the one little spot that it can sneak in between the lacing flap and the tongue and I'm tired of burning holes in my left foot.

Hard toe isn't a requirement but, I would like to have them if I can. A sole with good traction but will also shed dirt instead of tracking it inside would be really nice but, the most important thing is that it be comfortable. Water resistance would also be a bonus.

I don't mind spending $200 or so for them if they'll last.

What should I get?
I have 100's of hours of welding, plasma cutting, and grinding while wearing lace up boots and have never once burned either of my feet. Melted a lot of laces which I buy extras of since I do it so often, but never a single burn on a foot. In perspective, I go through 2 pair of boots per year. I replace the laces in each of those at least once, usually twice.

I have 100's of hours of welding, plasma cutting, and grinding while wearing lace up boots and have never once burned either of my feet. Melted a lot of laces which I buy extras of since I do it so often, but never a single burn on a foot. In perspective best pull on work boots for flat feet, I go through 2 pair of boots per year. I replace the laces in each of those at least once, usually twice.
thank you for your suggestion

thank you for your suggestion
I was pondering this some and it dawned on me that the issue may actually be related to the style of tongue in the various lace up boot offerings. I've been wearing the same brand and style for so long that it didn't immediately occur to me that other boots may not have a fully attached tongue like mine do.

Even if I wore mine without the laces, no slag would get to my foot due to the tongues being the style that is sewn onto both sides of the upper almost all the way to the top. You have to fold both of the sides in around your ankle as you lace them up. Boots without that type will be more prone to burnt feet. My apologies for not catching that sooner.

Mine are like this, if you find some that you are considering, make sure they are similar.

1649939815539.png

Reactions: Claytone and matkal
For lace ups, Doc Martin makes the best. Composite safety toe and super comfortable on day one. Really affordable too. $120 + tax. A little heavy, but my last pair lasted years. I work for the highway dept. and walk 10+ miles a day. Georgia boots used to be the ticket, but quality is not what it used to be. Docs for the win.

View attachment 102516
I've got a pair of those too or at least very similar. (DM386) The sole and sub sole started to separate on both boots. I had to use a metal tipped marinade injection needle to inject glue in the gap because they would squeak every time I took a step. Other than that, great boot. Made in China and they are heavy, though.

Reactions: Chapman4266
I was pondering this some and it dawned on me that the issue may actually be related to the style of tongue in the various lace up boot offerings. I've been wearing the same brand and style for so long that it didn't immediately occur to me that other boots may not have a fully attached tongue like mine do.

Even if I wore mine without the laces, no slag would get to my foot due to the tongues being the style that is sewn onto both sides of the upper almost all the way to the top. You have to fold both of the sides in around your ankle as you lace them up. Boots without that type will be more prone to burnt feet. My apologies for not catching that sooner.

Mine are like this, if you find some that you are considering, make sure they are similar.

View attachment 322650 also check out these waterproof work boots

also thank you for your suggestion