Good work boots?

Thunderhead

All graves go unvisited in time
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I have bought every brand out there, wolverine, red wings, timberland Caterpillar and such.
I put them through hell, blood, guts, fats, liquids, hiking, and they usually fall apart 6 months or less. I think i bought some Carolina brand ones that lasted a while but they were slippery AF.
I prefer slip on boots with steel or composite toe ( my little piggies have been saved many a times)
I'm ok with high top laces.
SO is there any good workboots y'all have used ?

Danner. Made in Portland, Oregon. After they quit making what I needed at Red Wing, I switched to Danner, and never looked back. I have never bought boots that are as comfortable as these are. And zero break-in time. They are comfortable (for me) from the very first time I wear them. Long lasting, too. I highly recommend 'em.

Check out Franks Boots. They're out of Spokane Washington and they build some high quailty boots. Mostly logger and wildland firefighter type boots. I had them build me a custom fit pair their Type 2 Highlander boot about 2 years ago and it's the best boot I've ever owned. Plus you can rebuild and resole the boot as needed. Check out Nicks Boots out of Spokane too.

I wear Wolverine 3122 models. I prefer the height, fit, and comfort. I go through 2 pair per year. I currently have 4 pair on the shelf in the closet. All the brands I've worn have broken down to the point I may as well be wearing a set of floppy tennis shoes and I like comfort and support in a boot. I don't like breaking in a boot, I like putting on a new pair and having the exact comfort level of the pair I just tossed in the trash. I don't buy boots to be something I can hand down to the next generation, not interested in the whole resole bullshit. BTDT and quality shoe repair places are almost a thing of the past.

Reactions: Thunderhead
Thanks everyone, as i sit here with a wet foot leaving tracks all over the office, those Danners might be the ticket I'm looking for. Thanks @Squatch

I wear Wolverine 3122 models. I prefer the height, fit, and comfort. I go through 2 pair per year. I currently have 4 pair on the shelf in the closet. All the brands I've worn have broken down to the point I may as well be wearing a set of floppy tennis shoes and I like comfort and support in a boot. I don't like breaking in a boot, I like putting on a new pair and having the exact comfort level of the pair I just tossed in the trash. I don't buy boots to be something I can hand down to the next generation, not interested in the whole resole bullshit. BTDT and quality shoe repair places are almost a thing of the past.

I like those and do have about 3 pairs in the garage, it just takes about 3 months for them to blow out, so its either wear and replace or spend a little extra like the Danners and see how those go, honestly i think i will blow those out too. $500 is a wee bit much for me

Thanks everyone, as i sit here with a wet foot leaving tracks all over the office, those Danners might be the ticket I'm looking for. Thanks @Squatch

I like those and do have about 3 pairs in the garage, it just takes about 3 months for them to blow out, so its either wear and replace or spend a little extra like the Danners and see how those go, honestly i think i will blow those out too. $500 is a wee bit much for me
When I worked in the oilfield and had to wear steel toes, I wore out every boot I could find in a town that specialized in selling any and every boot out there to roughnecks. It didn't matter how much I spent, they were crap in 5-6 months and only two things changed. How long they were miserable before they broke my foot in, and how much lighter my wallet was. I figured if they are going to die a quick death anyway, why not spend less and be more, much more comfy doing it?

At 300 lbs, and walking on the outside edges of my feet since I learned to walk, I'm not exactly what you would call easy on my boots. The Red Wings with the extra hard soles were great, until they discontinued the ones I liked. I tried Wolverines, but they lasted less than 6 months. I get about two and a half years out of a pair of Danners, so they're well worth the extra coin for me.

Last edited:
For lace ups, Doc Martin makes the best. Composite safety toe and super comfortable on day one. Really affordable too. $120 + tax. A little heavy, but my last pair lasted years. I work for the highway dept. and walk 10+ miles a day. Georgia boots used to be the ticket, but quality is not what it used to be. Docs for the win.

image.jpg

For lace ups, Doc Martin makes the best. Composite safety toe and super comfortable on day one. Really affordable too. $120 + tax. A little heavy, but my last pair lasted years. I work for the highway dept. and walk 10+ miles a day. Georgia boots used to be the ticket, but quality is not what it used to be. Docs for the win.

View attachment 102516

Good call. I still have my Sunday Doc’s I bought in ‘97. I worry about the sole that has come apart on other Doc’s I’ve had.

There are only two companies that I’m aware of that actually make REAL work boots. White’s and Wesco! When my local guy retired I stopped wearing them because I did not want to do the online fitting. No boot fits like a rebuilt pair of White’s, none.
These days if steel toe isn’t required I wear la sportiva. I’m not in your normal construction industry, my boots get abused.

Danner. Made in Portland, Oregon. After they quit making what I needed at Red Wing, I switched to Danner, and never looked back. I have never bought boots that are as comfortable as these are. And zero break-in time. They are comfortable (for me) from the very first time I wear them. Long lasting, too. I highly recommend 'em.

Danners are awesome. I have a pair of Patrols that are 20 years old that I still wear to the range.

I have a pair of Red Wing 3504’s. Expensive, but literally everything I wanted in a boot. They’ve been great doing everything from mud to Jeep work to machine shop stuff. I’ve had them for over a year whereas I ustally went through a pair of cheaper boots in 10 weeks.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/3504-red-wing-shoes/3504-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown
I love the super sole redwings but they discontinued my 1425 boot😥
They're usually good for 2.5 years

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting