Goodrich KO2 vs Falken AT3W

I discussed some of the issues brought up here and asked about the generals with the manager at the discount tire and he still recommended the ko2 so I went with them. With the discount they came in at $190 per tire. He said he had not experienced any balancing trouble or wobble, and said if I didn't like them he'd swap them out for the falkens and just charge price difference as the falkens are about $11 more per tire.

Reactions: deadbeat son
I bought KO2's a few days ago, and so far they have been great. These are 17 inch tires, and load range C. My goal was to make the jeep drive better on the road, and I wasnt really concerned about off road. The KO2's and new front shocks have made the jeep drive 1000% better. Im sure the shocks probably have more to do with it than the tires. However, I have KO2's on my 21 rubicon also, and they have been great on that jeep too.

AT3W is a fantastic tire... We sell a ton of tires through the shop and it's the best AT. KO2's are good, but not as good as the AT3W. It does everything remarkably well except mud, which no AT will be good at. The TOYO ATIII isn't bad either. And they all destroy any MT if it's raining...

There is more to an AT tire then treading.

Can you air down an AS tire, and confidently run it on sharp jagged rocks and sandy whoops in 100 degree weather for 3 days?

Is an AS tire built as tough as an AT?
Having done these things and not had problems I say yes, that's the whole point of my post. Did you do these things and have a different experience? No point in just talking about shit you saw on youtube right.

(there is an increase in tire strength but for what this thread is about, for this application it isn't a big deal, for most it isn't a big deal, like I said most don't even air down, having abused all season tires I can say for most people their strength isn't an issue)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubicon88
Having done these things and not had problems I say yes, that's the whole point of my post. Did you do these things and have a different experience? No point in just talking about shit you saw on youtube right.

(there is an increase in tire strength but for what this thread is about, for this application it isn't a big deal, for most it isn't a big deal, like I said most don't even air down, having abused all season tires I can say for most people their strength isn't an issue)

Shit I saw on youtube? Wtf are you talking about?

I was asking a legitimate question about durability and toughness, as I am unfamiliar with AS tires.

According to you, AT tires ARE more durable and ready for abuse.... yet it doesnt matter because some people dont even air down?

What about the people who do air down... shouldn't they get the whole truth?

What about the people who do air down... shouldn't they get the whole truth?
People that air down don't need my advice about tires. If you are asking a serious question about the durability of AS tires then take a look at what @Rubicon88 posted, seems like he sells tires and answered pretty clearly. To me it seems like your comments don't really have anything to do with what was asked in the first place and I'd bet you ain't considering AS tires.

People that air down don't need my advice about tires. If you are asking a serious question about the durability of AS tires then take a look at what @Rubicon88 posted, seems like he sells tires and answered pretty clearly. To me it seems like your comments don't really have anything to do with what was asked in the first place and I'd bet you ain't considering AS tires.
Well, I have cooper all season/all terrain tires on another vehicle of mine.

My curiosity was real.

But no.... i would never compromise durability for mediocre performance in all 4 seasons. Durability is a very important factor in tires for off road use.

But the motivation for my question was more about fleshing out the complete truth, rather than clarifying my interpretaions of some comments.

Just like any commodity, I've met a lot of people that sell tires that don't have much more knowledge than biased opinions about their products.

Reactions: Pressurized
Just like any commodity, I've met a lot of people that sell tires that don't have much more knowledge than biased opinions about their products.
I get what you are saying but this isn't some random guy. If you take the time and read a few of his posts on the forum you'll see that. His experience agrees with mine and that's really why I mentioned his post. At some point our Jeeps were pretty similar, you still on 32" tires and ravines?

I get what you are saying but this isn't some random guy. If you take the time and read a few of his posts on the forum you'll see that. His experience agrees with mine and that's really why I mentioned his post. At some point our Jeeps were pretty similar, you still on 32" tires and ravines?
My issue is he says thinks all A/Ts are complete shit and repeats this over and over and over and over...that comes off as his opinion. I think it depends upon use and application. I live in Oxnard. Should I give a shit if he thinks KO2s are crap in snow?

Yep, still on 32s and Ravines. Works for my DD.

Reactions: Sancho
I really like my Falcon AT3's. If I had to change I would go with the grabbers.

My issue is he says thinks all A/Ts are complete shit
I don't think anybody said they are shit, just that AT and AS tires are similar. If you get mud terrains at some point you'll understand the comments about how they relate to the other tires, if you don't get them it's obviously no big deal. Funny that you mentioned snow, when I was at Hungry Valley in late February it snowed on us, all I had was the mesh top. And ya, I know snow is not a normal thing we need to worry about.

Reactions: SoCalGlide
I don't think anybody said they are shit, just that AT and AS tires are similar. If you get mud terrains at some point you'll understand the comments about how they relate to the other tires, if you don't get them it's obviously no big deal. Funny that you mentioned snow, when I was at Hungry Valley in late February it snowed on us, all I had was the mesh top. And ya, I know snow is not a normal thing we need to worry about.
Side tracking the thread here...I'm going to Hungry Valley this weekend. Its going to be so fricking hot I might not even go.

Side tracking the thread here...I'm going to Hungry Valley this weekend. Its going to be so fricking hot I might not even go.
You could escape the heat and go up to Frazier Mountain if it's open. They had the gates closed because of the snow when I was there but it'll probably be 10 degrees cooler at the peak.

Reactions: SoCalTJ
You could escape the heat and go up to Frazier Mountain if it's open. They had the gates closed because of the snow when I was there but it'll probably be 10 degrees cooler at the peak.
Or the Alamo Mountain loop.
I'm staying on the coast myself. 🙂

Reactions: SoCalTJ
I've been up to Frazier Park and Hungry Valley a few times in the snow with the old BFG ATs. I never had an issue, but admittedly it wasn't very deep, and/or it was hard pack. Once up there, I was stopped on an incline, and a Mercedes AWD something or another on A/S tires slid right into the back of me. Fortunately, I had a pintle hitch on the back. I wouldn't say that A/Ts are no better than A/S tires.

Well, I have cooper all season/all terrain tires on another vehicle of mine.

My curiosity was real.

But no.... i would never compromise durability for mediocre performance in all 4 seasons. Durability is a very important factor in tires for off road use.

But the motivation for my question was more about fleshing out the complete truth, rather than clarifying my interpretaions of some comments.
I've been up to Frazier Park and Hungry Valley a few times in the snow with the old BFG ATs. I never had an issue, but admittedly it wasn't very deep, and/or it was hard pack. Once up there, I was stopped on an incline, and a Mercedes AWD something or another on A/S tires slid right into the back of me. Fortunately, I had a pintle hitch on the back. I wouldn't say that A/Ts are no better than A/S tires.

"Once up there, I was stopped on an incline, and a Mercedes AWD something or another on A/S tires slid right into the back of me."

Oh well that just makes it completely so then...🙄

I've got no time for those "that one time at that one place this one vehicle did this one thing" stories.

I've yet to meet a tire that puts a vehicle on rails in the snow and ice...stops like it's dry...and better yet does all this in spite of driver ignorance. Yes yes yes there are some tires better than others obviously BUT...

BUT...
what you're describing is something completely driver related and or a dozen or so other things in lieu of AS vs. AT.

Carelessness? That's a big one. Lack of respect for slick conditions? False sense of invincibility because of what they're driving? Air pressure was? Tire conditions...worn?
I could continue but I'm confident you get it...
The absolutely positively number one thing of importance in snow/ice driving is NOT the tires. It's actually between the driver's ears. I live in snow country. Actually more like shitty mix weather country. Snow, sleet, freezing rain, rinse and repeat. Hills, mountains, curves, you name it. Give me an experienced sensibly respectful driver of the slick stuff with some lousy tires over an ignorant driver with a set of brand new fill in the ________ tires even with the cute little stamp rating.

As far as airing down an AS tire...ok? What's the problem? Air them down. Take them off road.
If you need more flotation ok...but if you're getting in conditions that REQUIRE an air down for MORE TRACTION you're using the wrong tire as there are much better traction options than either AS/AT's.

Allow me to put that another way...if you're traversing terrain that you can't make it unless you air down...you should equip a tire with more dedicated traction from the get go.

If you're getting into jagged rocks well shit sheriff....that's a crap shoot and again neither AS/AT tire is well suited for that situation. I've seen tires gashed from rocks that can make you scratch your head...I've seen A/S tires survive rocks you'd think never possible.
Sharp rock results are extremely unpredictable but if you know you will be encountering them there are tires better suited for the task.

I've no biased opinion on the matter based on what I sell. I deal brands from all the household names to shit you haven't even heard of. Literally.

The OP asked which was the better AT tire? The seemingly eternal BFG AT or the offering from Falken.
That's splitting hairs. Is the grass damp in the morning or is it wet? Is it windy or breezy?
Equal performance...and there is only so much performance you can realize from an AT.
You won't get stuck with one...let's say the BFG AT but make it with the Falken. Either will make it or both will be stuck.

I just happened to add that AT's are not really any more advantageous than an A/S.
There are some A/S's that absolutely embarrass some AT's in the rain and white slick stuff.
Of course there are some AT's that out perform some all seasons.
By and large they're a wash off road....
The AS's have an edge on road.
If cosmetics are your thing there is nothing remotely attractive about an all season tire. A big edge here goes to the AT.

The thing that makes me chuckle though is that tires have become as bad Ford vs. Chevy...Winchester vs. Remington...motor oils, etc.

The extra funny thing to me is people love whatever tire they chose but it doesn't stop there. They also want you to love their tire just as much.
It's as if they're getting a mental commission paid in reassurance if you buy whatever they bought.?. 🤣🙄🤣🙄🤣🙄