Goodrich KO2 vs Falken AT3W

Based on the two tires you listed, I'd pick the Falken. The weight (57 lbs) and height (32.5) is the same, as well as the Max Load (2205). The tread depth on the Falken is significantly better, 19/32 vs 15/32, the mileage warranty is slightly better, they include a 2 year, or 3/32 Road hazard warranty, and they're slightly cheaper. I try not to bash on tires, but my experiences with the KO2 weren't favorable. I had two sidewall punctures, balance problem with one tire, and significant chunking (missing rubber).

Anecdotal experience on a different vehicle, but on my F150 I ran the Nitto Terra Grappler G2's, Toyo Open Country ATII's, and the Falken AT3W's, each for 60k+ miles. The Falken was a night and day difference for traction in wet and snowy roads.

I put them on my F250 I bought last year and have never felt more sure-footed in the Florida rain on any other AT. Drove to CO during the last big snowfall in March and even being less experienced in snow driving, they just worked really well in the slush and even in some deeper drifts we had to climb through to get to the place we were staying.

90C8A674-.jpg

Reactions: Pressurized
"While it may not be as noticeable as a mud tire, the AT’s are still better than all seasons. And they have better on road manners than a mud tire if that’s where you spend most of your time and aren’t buying for looks alone."

Better at what? Listen I don't care the brand...actually i love the green brand...whichever the customer wants to buy $$$$ 😎
But as far as better between the AT and AS...at what?
Off road they're an absolute wash. Both suck in mud. Suck in deep snow (which is similar to mud)
hard packed snow and ice?
II'll put up AS tires all day long against AT tires in the slick/hard pack...as lomg as i can pick them.

There are tires that suck no matter what.. (looking at you Patagonia MT) but really for performance the AS and AT are equal. They really are.

P.s. The cute little wintry stamp is a joke. Ever really see what is required to get stamp? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

"Tires are tested for acceleration on an average snow-pack and, basically, must accelerate 10% faster than an all-season tire. The tests do not measure braking or turning in snow, deep snow response or ice traction."

This is from tirebusiness.com but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere.

That's damn funny. The dangers of slick driving are never accelerating 10 percent faster than an All Season...it's stopping #1...#2 cornering.

I live in snow and ice country.
The TJ is light...very. When it gets slick you should be in 4wd regardless. I don't care if you got the cute little stamp...it's still going to suck in the slick. Why? Contact pressure is poor in a Jeep. Just not heavy enough.

I can cruise all over the place 2wd in my Excursion with a 7.3 powerstroke. It's almost 9k with my big ass in there.

Put the same tire on a Jeep and good luck in 2wd.

No contact pressure.

AT's LOOK better...(i guess) than all season tires but off road performance...same same.

Allergic to mud.
Sharp rocks is an enemy to both
Rain traction? Probably give an edge to the AS.
Either way though it's still a Jeep(not an F1 car putting the "wets" on as a rain storm just hit...
and the safest tire in wet/snowy conditions is the one between your ears.

If someone is getting stuck with All seasons...they're getting stuck with AT's.

But hey...if someone thinks they're amazimg I'll sell it. 😎
So… what do you recommend, then?

I’ve said this a couple of times in other threads, but I had a slight wobble in my steering wheel that could only be cured by getting rid of the BFG A/T KO2s. The manager at the local 4 Wheel Parts store says that they are problematic on Jeeps & refuses to sell them in his store. Additionally, I had a set of KO2s on a truck that acted like they had thrown a wheel weight, but they wouldn’t balance. ‘Turns out that one (or more) of them had a belt that had shifted or otherwise failed. Changing tires fixed that problem.
I replaced the KO2s on my TJ with the Falken Wildpeak A/T3s & I love them!

View attachment 258923
Interesting!!! I’ve had major issues with wobble that no one has been able to fix… so I put a band aid in it with a second stabilizer, but I have to keep pressure spot on at all times and quite low to keep the wobble under wraps. I’ve run the KO2s the whole time… never considered it might be the damn tires, and neither did anyone else! I’ll switch it up now! You may have solved why has been callled the “worst death wobble” anyone in Virginia has (apparently) ever seen!

I've burned 5/32 off my KO2's so far, and no major complaints. They've performed as expected, including a trip thru the Rubicon trail, and Moab. I did recently develop a shimmy at 50ish, so took them in to have all 4 balanced. That seems to have calmed them down for now. The biggest complaint I have is constantly picking peat gravel out of the tread blocks. I live down a gravel road, and can collect enough of it to throw them off balance sometimes. I wouldn't discount trying the Falkens next go around, but will likely go with the Grabbers.

"Once up there, I was stopped on an incline, and a Mercedes AWD something or another on A/S tires slid right into the back of me."

Oh well that just makes it completely so then...🙄

I've got no time for those "that one time at that one place this one vehicle did this one thing" stories.

I've yet to meet a tire that puts a vehicle on rails in the snow and ice...stops like it's dry...and better yet does all this in spite of driver ignorance. Yes yes yes there are some tires better than others obviously BUT...

BUT...
what you're describing is something completely driver related and or a dozen or so other things in lieu of AS vs. AT.

Carelessness? That's a big one. Lack of respect for slick conditions? False sense of invincibility because of what they're driving? Air pressure was? Tire conditions...worn?
I could continue but I'm confident you get it...
The absolutely positively number one thing of importance in snow/ice driving is NOT the tires. It's actually between the driver's ears. I live in snow country. Actually more like shitty mix weather country. Snow, sleet, freezing rain, rinse and repeat. Hills, mountains, curves, you name it. Give me an experienced sensibly respectful driver of the slick stuff with some lousy tires over an ignorant driver with a set of brand new fill in the ________ tires even with the cute little stamp rating.

As far as airing down an AS tire...ok? What's the problem? Air them down. Take them off road.
If you need more flotation ok...but if you're getting in conditions that REQUIRE an air down for MORE TRACTION you're using the wrong tire as there are much better traction options than either AS/AT's.

Allow me to put that another way...if you're traversing terrain that you can't make it unless you air down...you should equip a tire with more dedicated traction from the get go.

If you're getting into jagged rocks well shit sheriff....that's a crap shoot and again neither AS/AT tire is well suited for that situation. I've seen tires gashed from rocks that can make you scratch your head...I've seen A/S tires survive rocks you'd think never possible.
Sharp rock results are extremely unpredictable but if you know you will be encountering them there are tires better suited for the task.

I've no biased opinion on the matter based on what I sell. I deal brands from all the household names to shit you haven't even heard of. Literally.

The OP asked which was the better AT tire? The seemingly eternal BFG AT or the offering from Falken.
That's splitting hairs. Is the grass damp in the morning or is it wet? Is it windy or breezy?
Equal performance...and there is only so much performance you can realize from an AT.
You won't get stuck with one...let's say the BFG AT but make it with the Falken. Either will make it or both will be stuck.

I just happened to add that AT's are not really any more advantageous than an A/S.
There are some A/S's that absolutely embarrass some AT's in the rain and white slick stuff.
Of course there are some AT's that out perform some all seasons.
By and large they're a wash off road....
The AS's have an edge on road.
If cosmetics are your thing there is nothing remotely attractive about an all season tire. A big edge here goes to the AT.

The thing that makes me chuckle though is that tires have become as bad Ford vs. Chevy...Winchester vs. Remington...motor oils, etc.

The extra funny thing to me is people love whatever tire they chose but it doesn't stop there. They also want you to love their tire just as much.
It's as if they're getting a mental commission paid in reassurance if you buy whatever they bought.?. 🤣🙄🤣🙄🤣🙄
I’d love to know what you’d recommend for snow and rain performance… I’ve been running the BFG Ko2 and I’m all over the damn road… I figured it was the width of the tire.. am I wrong? Seems to me a skinny tire would be less likely to “float” on rain or snow. So what’s a good tire option for a Jeep in snow and rain in your opinion?

Interesting!!! I’ve had major issues with wobble that no one has been able to fix… so I put a band aid in it with a second stabilizer, but I have to keep pressure spot on at all times and quite low to keep the wobble under wraps. I’ve run the KO2s the whole time… never considered it might be the damn tires, and neither did anyone else! I’ll switch it up now! You may have solved why has been callled the “worst death wobble” anyone in Virginia has (apparently) ever seen!
You might see if someone has a set of mounted tires that you could borrow long enough to prove the BFGs to be the problem. In my case, I intended to replace the tires within a year anyway due to age.
Good luck & let us know how this works out for you.

You might see if someone has a set of mounted tires that you could borrow long enough to prove the BFGs to be the problem. In my case, I intended to replace the tires within a year anyway due to age.
Good luck & let us know how this works out for you.
All good…they are in need of a change soon anyway… perfect timing, actually.

For better performance in snow and rain on road than I’m getting with the AT? Is there such a thing… or is the width of the tire a major factor that is tough to get around?
Contact pressure is paramount in the white/slick stuff which of course is hard to accomplish in a light TJ.
Add in going to a wider than stock tire and the little bit of contact pressure just got worse.

Tire sizes are always a give and take....(mainly width)
There is no one perfect width for everything unfortunately.

Skinny tires...
(we'll say 10.50 and under)
Pro's***
Higher contact pressure which is good on...
Snow/ice
Hard soil with wet grass which is very slick
Greasy mud on hard surface/rocks

Con's
Low flotation which wants to dig...
Mud (real mud with soft bottom) you'll get buried quickly
Deep snow..same as above all four tires suspended above hard surface = stuck

Wide tires (12.50 and up)
Pro's
Inherent flotation due to light weight...
Great in deep mud (you don't want to keep digging down)
Deep snow (again you want to stay on top the best you can. )
The less they dig the better the odds of staying on top by spreading out the four corner weight over a wider contact area.

Con's
Less traction in hard packed snow and ice
Hard soil and wet grass becomes a challenge..etc etc

Contact pressure is paramount in the white/slick stuff which of course is hard to accomplish in a light TJ.
Add in going to a wider than stock tire and the little bit of contact pressure just got worse.

Tire sizes are always a give and take....(mainly width)
There is no one perfect width for everything unfortunately.

Skinny tires...
(we'll say 10.50 and under)
Pro's***
Higher contact pressure which is good on...
Snow/ice
Hard soil with wet grass which is very slick
Greasy mud on hard surface/rocks

Con's
Low flotation which wants to dig...
Mud (real mud with soft bottom) you'll get buried quickly
Deep snow..same as above all four tires suspended above hard surface = stuck

Wide tires (12.50 and up)
Pro's
Inherent flotation due to light weight...
Great in deep mud (you don't want to keep digging down)
Deep snow (again you want to stay on top the best you can. )
The less they dig the better the odds of staying on top by spreading out the four corner weight over a wider contact area.

Con's
Less traction in hard packed snow and ice
Hard soil and wet grass becomes a challenge..etc etc
Thanks for that.. kinda what I figured.. sadly I don’t get off road (at least not yet). And I live in Virginia where the snow doesn’t get terribly deep. So I’m probably best off sticking with an AT… but I’m going to ditch the Ko2’s (might be causing my wobble issues) for something else this go… any suggestions?

Thanks for that.. kinda what I figured.. sadly I don’t get off road (at least not yet). And I live in Virginia where the snow doesn’t get terribly deep. So I’m probably best off sticking with an AT… but I’m going to ditch the Ko2’s (might be causing my wobble issues) for something else this go… any suggestions?
Maybe I’ll try loading her up with some sand bags this winter… there goes the little mileage I do get from a gallon of gas 🤷‍♀️

Maybe I’ll try loading her up with some sand bags this winter… there goes the little mileage I do get from a gallon of gas 🤷‍♀️
Kids today have less and less wintry driving skill. Front wheel drive and today AWD changed that.

I grew up learning to drive in the snow in a rear wheel drive v8 car.
When I was a little shaver every winter my grand father would put bags of stone in Mum's car in the trunk right over the rear axle.
Even with that it trained you to ease into the throttle and just get a good sense of feel with what's going on from the road,tire,your foot, your hand.

What size tire are you running?

What size?

Kids today have less and less wintry driving skill. Front wheel drive and today AWD changed that.

I grew up learning to drive in the snow in a rear wheel drive v8 car.
When I was a little shaver every winter my grand father would put bags of stone in Mum's car in the trunk right over the rear axle.
Even with that it trained you to ease into the throttle and just get a good sense of feel with what's going on from the road,tire,your foot, your hand.

What size tire are you running?
I’m no kid… I grew up in NY and learned to drive pretty confidently in the snow and ice… but the Jeep is a whole other animal in my opinion… so was the ‘87 Cherokee I learned to drive standard in. Maybe it’s the rear wheel drive, the weight (or lack of), center of gravity, the width of the tires… or a combination of all that. I’m running 31x12.5R16 or maybe they’re 32’s …I can’t recall off the top of my head. I manage fine, just wondered if a different tire might keep her attached to the road a bit better. It’s all good… I’ll just continue to happily float on down the road in the WRASCAL.

I’m no kid… I grew up in NY and learned to drive pretty confidently in the snow and ice… but the Jeep is a whole other animal in my opinion… so was the ‘87 Cherokee I learned to drive standard in. Maybe it’s the rear wheel drive, the weight (or lack of), center of gravity, the width of the tires… or a combination of all that. I’m running 31x12.5R16 or maybe they’re 32’s …I can’t recall off the top of my head. I manage fine, just wondered if a different tire might keep her attached to the road a bit better. It’s all good… I’ll just continue to happily float on down the road in the WRASCAL.
By all means I wasn't calling you a kid...
Rather agreeing with your post of slick driving and adding weight brought memories of growing up learning to drive with finesse rather than a FWD with tons of traction.

Tires can definitely make a difference. More contact pressure and tread design all play a part.
You, having grown up in NY, understand real nasty weather driving.

It's a complete lack of weight as to why Jeeps are so lousy in 2wd in the white slick.
Sure everyone can do the macho shit and mess around in 2wd to feel like..you know...some driving champion.....🙄... but in reality legitimate snow and ice you've got to be in 4wd with a TJ.

XJ's are worse as they're even a tad lighter. (No frame)

Reactions: Tbird Clair
I haven’t even tried 4WD in the Jeep.. never really occurred to me.. isn’t that for really intense (tire chains, etc) type weather? HAHA !!!! I’ll check it out!
By all means I wasn't calling you a kid...
Rather agreeing with your post of slick driving and adding weight brought memories of growing up learning to drive with finesse rather than a FWD with tons of traction.

Tires can definitely make a difference. More contact pressure and tread design all play a part.
You, having grown up in NY, understand real nasty weather driving.

It's a complete lack of weight as to why Jeeps are so lousy in 2wd in the white slick.
Sure everyone can do the macho shit and mess around in 2wd to feel like..you know...some driving champion.....🙄... but in reality legitimate snow and ice you've got to be in 4wd with a TJ.

XJ's are worse as they're even a tad lighter. (No frame)I haven’t even tried 4WD in the Jeep! Never really occurred to me! … isn’t that for serious need only? I mean… like tire chain type situations?!? Damn… I’ll try it! HAHAHA!!!