Goodyear MT/R 35x12.5R15 tires on national backorder

@Jerry Bransford I posted, not long ago, about a rubber shortage that was plaguing the tire industry.

I screwed myself because, while researching the brand and tread I was interested in, they sold out from one day to the next. Nationally! Funny enough I did consider the MTR (luv my Duratracs) but decided on the Mickey Baja Boss MT -D rated.

Well, it’s been almost a month but they’re paid. Figured it was the ‘quickest’ way of actually getting them VS waiting for them to hit warehouses when other buyers scoop them up before I get to them.

Def not happy.

• Sad
Reactions: RINC and Apparition
There is such a shortage of vehicles right now that customers are taking whatever is on the lot.
Our used vehicle sales has quadrupled.
I just took my wife’s fusion up to ford Last Friday cause she’s wanting a Tesla🙄.. Just to see what they would give...um... we don’t have a fusion anymore😳!!!

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: RINC and Apparition
I wanted BFG KM3 35x12.5R15 3 months back. They were on back order for a month. After a month, they were still on backorder.

I went with Cooper STT Pro's in the same size after further research for similar performing tires on rock & mud (my local terrain). They're still in the garage leaning against the Jeep while I work other issues/repairs, so I can't comment on performance yet.

Just a similar story of continued backorder (for whatever international/national reason). Doesn't seem like the industry has any pulse on when/how they'll fill gaps in their inventory, for now....

Below this thread, in the "Similar threads" section there is a thread about how USAA members can get 25% off Goodyear products. I went to the USAA site, and found the link for this discount. After connecting with the Goodyear site, I found that MT/R 35X12.50R15s are not available for online purchase. I checked the 33X12.50R15 Duratracs, and they were available, and I could get the 25% discount. No idea if they are actually availble or not, but I don't want those anyways.

I went with Cooper STT Pro's in the same size after further research for similar performing tires on rock & mud (my local terrain). They're still in the garage leaning against the Jeep while I work other issues/repairs, so I can't comment on performance yet.
You’re very fortunate. The STT PRO is also on national backorder. When I called their customer service last month, they recommended I look for a different tire or maker, because they didn’t have any schedule on when or if it will deliver!

• Wow
Reactions: FarFire70
Little over a month ago I was trying to buy tires, most places were out of stock. The blame was placed on lack of raw materials and manufacturing. Last week I was reading how the used car market is hot, especially for Tacomas and Wranglers JLs. Dealerships do not have stock to meet consumer demand. Consumers are not spending money on vacations so they are buying cars. A person can sell their used vehicle for a lot more now.

The official word I received from Goodyear is that the 35x12.5R15 MT/R has been discontinued. I was VERY fortunate to have found a new one that was shipped free to my local Discount Tire store.
Sad, but not surprising. All of the 15" sizes on discount's website were marked as discontinued (31's, 32's, 33's, & 35's).

Sad, style has trumped function.
I think 17's can perform ok, but the price to get into the 17" arena is not a fun one to pay. There are also not that many ideal wheel widths and backspacings in the 17" selections that have the TJ Pattern. Seems to be why a lot of folks run JK/JL stuff with adapters because it nets them to a decent enough backspacing. Still doesn't solve the uber expensive price for the wheels, the price of adapters, or the extra expensive tires though. It's unfortunate for sure.

With motorcycles, it's the same thing. We cannot get tires in our shop. If we do, we can never get matching sets. Most are back-ordered or discontinued. We deal with the suppliers and manufacturers directly. We are hearing that most of these companies that new versions of most tires we are not able to get will be replaced with upgrades in the near future.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
GTR is suffering from the same "i don't feel like goin back to work" attitude most are. and they are downsizing production and revamping several plants to eliminate production of some tires. we got work comin up in gadsden, fayetteville and china for the changes.