Got a shop quote for a small lift—is this the right move?

Great call - that's something I wouldn't have even known to ask about. Are warranty's pretty typical for repairs like these on off road vehicles? Seems like it could get hairy quickly.
Your shit, your problem, unless you let them rip you off for their Shittybilt Chinese quality parts and let 4Wparts install it for $1200.

Glad to know I was on the right track about the shocks. Regardless of what I decide to do I'll make sure that's changed to the correct ones.

As for that 1" MM spacer, is that something that takes considerably longer than a T case drop would? Just thinking in terms of shop labor cost - obviously it's still preferable to avoid having to drop the t case any more than necessary.
A 1”MML is more labor than a TCase drop. Might take - 1.5hrs IRL. If you just ask them to buy the Zone 4.25” Combo lift it will come with the kit. Or, go lower, like 2” to avoid needing a TCase drop or MML. Not sure what kit to go with there. If you ordered all the parts on the recipe, then you could supply them when they all arrived.

I think 31’s look good with 2.5” or 3”

A 1”MML is more labor than a TCase drop. Might take - 1.5hrs IRL. If you just ask them to buy the Zone 4.25” Combo lift it will come with the kit. Or, go lower, like 2” to avoid needing a TCase drop or MML. Not sure what kit to go with there. If you ordered all the parts on the recipe, then you could supply them when they all arrived.

I think 31’s look good with 2.5” or 3”
Gotcha. And yeah I don't think I'm gonna go with the 4.25 just yet - I'm sticking on 31's for the foreseeable future.

With the potential headaches involved with 3" it's sounding like maybe sticking with the 2" is the move - but you say I could supply them all when they arrived - is this something that's typical of 4x4 shops? I know I've heard in the past that most garages only install their own parts/don't let you bring parts, but this is my first time dealing with a dedicated 4x4 shop.

Great call - that's something I wouldn't have even known to ask about. Are warranty's pretty typical for repairs like these on off road vehicles? Seems like it could get hairy quickly.
My experience (other members experiences may differ) has been IF you choose to have work done by the shop they will mark with a paint pen ALL bolts touched that they have torqued so they can easily see of the bolts have loosened. The shops will require you return in 10 days for a recheck so they can check bolts for tightness. The warranty period is usually 90 days (as long as you have returned the vehicle for a recheck within 10 days) unless something had a catastrophic failure tied to services the shop provided.

IF you bring parts that you have purchased elsewhere; a lot of shops WILL NOT install them since the parts are not from their vendor and may not be able to warrantee the part IF it has problems.

Reactions: t00th
Gotcha. And yeah I don't think I'm gonna go with the 4.25 just yet - I'm sticking on 31's for the foreseeable future.

With the potential headaches involved with 3" it's sounding like maybe sticking with the 2" is the move - but you say I could supply them all when they arrived - is this something that's typical of 4x4 shops? I know I've heard in the past that most garages only install their own parts/don't let you bring parts, but this is my first time dealing with a dedicated 4x4 shop.
The 4.25” is a combo lift, so you get a 1.25” BL with the kit, you just wouldn’t install it. You’d just install the 1” MML which also comes with that kit and remain at 3” suspension lift. Might be worth it bc it’s a kit AND if you ever wanted 33’s you already have the 1.25” BL or you could sell it and recoup $100. It’s not much more expensive for what you get.

I wouldn’t worry about warranty on suspension stuff.

Last edited:
At my shop, the labor equates to 7.2hrs. Probably a good deal I would say. I am sure they will put more than one guy on it and still take them a good part of a day.

Reactions: t00th
I had a Zone 3" kit installed on my LJ about 3 years ago by a reputable 4x4 shop. Back then, my central PA labor was $400-500. I initially had the Zone Nitro shocks and 3/4" spacers on the transmission skid. I have since installed Rancho shocks and SYE to eliminate the transmission drop.

The 4.25” is a combo lift, so you get a 1.25” BL with the kit, you just wouldn’t install it. You’d just install the 1” MML which also comes with that kit and remain at 3” suspension lift. Might be worth it bc it’s a kit AND if you ever wanted 33’s you already have the 1.25” BL or you could sell it and recoup $100. It’s not much more expensive for what you get.

I wouldn’t worry about warranty on suspension stuff.

Ohhhh I see. Okay that's good to know. i'm probably going to go back to them and have them give me a price for that kit plus the MML install, and a price for the pieced together 2" lift and see where I net out.

Thanks for all your help

Reactions: JMT
Thanks again to everyone for your help and insights. I followed up with the shop on a few things:

Since the zone kit comes with a T-case drop already and there's an additional line item for a 1.5" drop kit, asked why. That seems like a LOT of drop and really don't want to lose that much clearance. Asked to get a second quote for the 4.25" kit instead, in which case I'd install the MML and just hang on to the body lift that it comes with. Or at the very least, want to have them double check that the 1.5" of T-case drop is necessary.

Asked that they correct the shocks to be 55239/55241

Since I'm still wondering if 2" is the simplest way for me to go with my 31's, asked them to supply another quote for if I were to piece it together. Know that that can be hairy due to current supply issues but hey, maybe they'll humor me. And then I could avoid the t-case issue altogether, or at the very least, get away with a few washers and call it a day.
Rancho 55128/55240
Pro comp or BDS 2" springs, whatever's available.
And whatever rear trackbar bracket is available.

Will follow up with how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and insights. I followed up with the shop on a few things:

Since the zone kit comes with a T-case drop already and there's an additional line item for a 1.5" drop kit, asked why. That seems like a LOT of drop and really don't want to lose that much clearance. Asked to get a second quote for the 4.25" kit instead, in which case I'd install the MML and just hang on to the body lift that it comes with. Or at the very least, want to have them double check that the 1.5" of T-case drop is necessary.

Since I'm still wondering if 2" is the simplest way for me to go with my 31's, asked them to supply another quote for if I were to piece it together. Know that that can be hairy due to current supply issues but hey, maybe they'll humor me. And then I could avoid the t-case issue altogether, or at the very least, get away with a few washers and call it a day.
Rancho 55128/55240

I had the local 4x4 shop install the 2” BDS kit with Fox Shocks. All in labor/materials/alignment was $900. I run 32” Goodyear Duratracs.

Rancho 55128/55240

Can I ask which shop it is? I'm in SE PA as well and i'm curious if its one I may have had experience with.

As far as your situation, I can relate. When I ran 31s, I did 2" BDS springs and Rancho shocks. Got some vibes but didnt do a TC drop, instead did a SYE. Got the inevitable itch to move to 33s, and all i did was add a 1.25" BL to accomodate. IMO 2" lift is perfect with 31s. Anything more and it starts to look like the TJ skipped leg day.

Can I ask which shop it is? I'm in SE PA as well and i'm curious if its one I may have had experience with.

As far as your situation, I can relate. When I ran 31s, I did 2" BDS springs and Rancho shocks. Got some vibes but didnt do a TC drop, instead did a SYE. Got the inevitable itch to move to 33s, and all i did was add a 1.25" BL to accomodate. IMO 2" lift is perfect with 31s. Anything more and it starts to look like the TJ skipped leg day.
Sorry I missed this response!

It's Hoak's 4WD Center in Wrightsville, just over the river from Lancaster (where my folks live).

And yeah... that's my other concern. I've seen photos of Tj's on 31's with 2 and 3" lifts and despite being so close, the 3" always look pretty anemic to me.

Reactions: jazngab
Getting the zone 4.25 kit, and saving the Bl for another day, is not a bad idea. I strongly considered this route, but went another direction.

Be prepared for some issues not mentioned though:

- will need adjustable track bar ($200 ish)

- if manual... your shifter might hit console after mml... so be prepared to modify console.

- fan shroud will need to be modified if leaving bl out.

- will need bump stop extensions.

- fuel filler hose needs to be elongated (once bl is installed)

- once at 33's... gonna need a heavier tire carrier. ($300 ish)

- might need wheel spacers ($200)

- at 33's, gonna need a steering stabalizer ($100 ish)