Got an email from Bestop

WestCoastDan

TJ Addict
Received an email from Bestop asking me to review my latest purchase…

I wish I could see their faces when they read my 1-star review.

91F7C047-CE0F-4F17-B642-A10EC4F9A4E1.jpeg

My complaint is specifically related to the nearly useless Sunrider feature and the poor feedback from Bestop.

As others can attest, regardless of how one folds the fabric, there is no support for the leading edge of the folded fabric and it flops against the top of the driver’s head - unless they incorrectly position the ‘floating bow’ from the intended position to wedging it at the rear of the door surrounds.
This creates enough support to prevent the fabric from flopping in the breeze.
This flopping isn’t much of an issue when the side windows are installed, but with the windows off, the top fabric sags into the center of the cabin, resulting in the cranial assault.

The second issue is that the location of the ‘hinge’ along each frame rail is simply too close to the windshield; it could easily be 2” further back, which would create a more functional opening above the front seats because the header would then land behind the driver’s head, rather than directly above it.

In addition, I was contacted by customer service regarding the swag/gift order that was being processed.
I asked if they could confirm that I’m operating the top as intended, with photos of it on the vehicle.
They responded with a typical ‘pass the buck to engineering’ reply, but nothing ever came of it.
They can’t even take a minute to say ‘Yes, that’s how to fold the fabric’ or ‘No, do it this way’…
They just keep telling me that ‘engineering is still reviewing my request’.

Bottom line to me is that without the function of the Sunrider feature, it’s a really overpriced top that doesn’t meet up to the hype.

My complaint is specifically related to the nearly useless Sunrider feature and the poor feedback from Bestop.

As others can attest, regardless of how one folds the fabric, there is no support for the leading edge of the folded fabric and it flops against the top of the driver’s head - unless they incorrectly position the ‘floating bow’ from the intended position to wedging it at the rear of the door surrounds.
This creates enough support to prevent the fabric from flopping in the breeze.
This flopping isn’t much of an issue when the side windows are installed, but with the windows off, the top fabric sags into the center of the cabin, resulting in the cranial assault.

The second issue is that the location of the ‘hinge’ along each frame rail is simply too close to the windshield; it could easily be 2” further back, which would create a more functional opening above the front seats because the header would then land behind the driver’s head, rather than directly above it.

In addition, I was contacted by customer service regarding the swag/gift order that was being processed.
I asked if they could confirm that I’m operating the top as intended, with photos of it on the vehicle.
They responded with a typical ‘pass the buck to engineering’ reply, but nothing ever came of it.
They can’t even take a minute to say ‘Yes, that’s how to fold the fabric’ or ‘No, do it this way’…
They just keep telling me that ‘engineering is still reviewing my request’.

Bottom line to me is that without the function of the Sunrider feature, it’s a really overpriced top that doesn’t meet up to the hype.

a few questions for you:

-what kind of solutions did you try to come up with for the issue you seem to be having? did you share those solutions with bestop?
-how was your attitude when speaking/communicating with the customer service reps?

also, let's see the review you posted.

i can think of 2 things off the top of my head that i would have asked bestop for to "fix" the top and they'd have worked with you probably even for free if you were nice about it.

something tells me that ship has sailed though.

I’m not sure I understand how you fold the top but in mine, when I flip it back, I fold the fabric back so that the fold that is created is pointing towards the rear of the Jeep. I’ve only used this features a handful of times but haven’t noticed any flapping or sagging of the fabric.

I switched to a Bestop softie earlier this based on the the great experience I had on my JKs.

I havre zero complaints. The Sunrider is one of my favorite features, I use it nearly every day and IMHO it works perfectly. I just move the removable bow back to support the fabric fold. Given what a pain in the ass the stock top was, the Bestop is an absolute joy.

I give it five stars.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
a few questions for you:

-what kind of solutions did you try to come up with for the issue you seem to be having? did you share those solutions with bestop?
-how was your attitude when speaking/communicating with the customer service reps?

also, let's see the review you posted.

i can think of 2 things off the top of my head that i would have asked bestop for to "fix" the top and they'd have worked with you probably even for free if you were nice about it.

something tells me that ship has sailed though.

As stated above, I inquired to see if I was doing something wrong, asking for help.
They started off with what I expected to continue as helpful support, but then they went radio silent.

I’ve reached back to the CSR directly for follow ups regularly. Each time being politely handed off to ‘engineering’.
Coincidentally, my job is that of Post Sale support at my company. I know the way to get help and how to ensure that I wouldn’t. My tone with them was not negative in any way (other than the 1 star).

Your assumption regarding my approach is incorrect; the ship is still at the dock.

Last edited:
  • Face Palm
Reactions: Ocho
I switched to a Bestop softie earlier this based on the the great experience I had on my JKs.

I havre zero complaints. The Sunrider is one of my favorite features, I use it nearly every day and IMHO it works perfectly. I just move the removable bow back to support the fabric fold. Given what a pain in the ass the stock top was, the Bestop is an absolute joy.

I give it five stars.

On an $1800 top that promotes the Sunrider feature as the greatest advancement in soft tops, I find it a bit odd that not only are there no photos of it in use on their website or in their marketing materials, instructions, etc. they don’t even illustrate the correct method of using it.
There certainly are no instructions to suggest that removing the ‘floating bow’ from the designed slots and wedging it into the corners of the door surrounds as the intended approach.

For $1800 I shouldn’t have the guess how to use the primary feature of the product, and they should be able to provide clear instructions on the intended use.

Last edited:
For $1800 I shouldn’t have the guess how to use the primary feature of the product, and they should be able to provide clear instructions on the intended use.
Can’t argue that.

On the TrekTop there are fabric tabs used to assist with removing the side clips that secure the Sunrider but nowhere in the universe (other than here) is mention made to their existence or how-to.

At least Bestop is consistent.

• Haha
Reactions: WestCoastDan
As stated above, I in quoted to see if I was doing something wrong, asking for help.
They started off with what I expected to continue as helpful support, but then they went radio silent.

I’ve reached back to the CSR directly for follow ups regularly. Each time being politely handed off to ‘engineering’.
Coincidentally, my job is that of Post Sale support at my company. I know the way to get help and how to ensure that I wouldn’t. My tone with them was not negative in any way (other than the 1 star).

Your assumption regarding my approach is incorrect; the ship is still at the dock.

glad to hear you didn’t go full karen like most people seem to do. you should know this is expected behaviour from an upset client since you work in post sale support but maybe..

you haven’t come up with any solutions that bestop could work with you on and all you’re waiting for engineering to get back to you at this point correct?

Correct, although I don’t expect a reply w/ any significant feedback.
The rest of the top is great, but the Sunrider feature is not as functional or practical as expected.

I have the same top.can't speak to the sunrider feature,i find it redundant.i just put the top down when i want sun.the floppy frame is annoying putting it up and down. My problem with it was the top being sewn incorrectly so the bow over the b pillar isn't positioned correctly.

My factory frame was bent so i went with this style.overly complicated and poorly executed is my impression. Should have gone with a factory style

interesting. I'd heard the sunrider on the squareback top didn't open as far as it does on the frameless, but this is the first I've heard of it being this bad. The leading edge fold on my frameless is well behind my head, and is held up perfectly adequately by the roll bar.

My 05 LJ had the factory sunrider, and i feel like it worked differently than what you describe ( @MountaineerTom s photos ring a bell), but I sold it 10 years ago and haven't had a factory soft top since so it's tough to say. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of it with the sunrider open.

Reactions: MikekiM
Here is our top ‘opened’ for the Sunrider feature…

974ED4C3-B1A4-4399-A852-285FA4B4B12F.jpeg

A1B394DE-1E50-4A35-BDD7-374FB6D3EB1F.jpeg

19158832-9F80-4FF0-BD12-C736D15DBE04.jpeg

Notice that the folded fabric is ‘in front of’ the leading edge of the header.
This must allow air to get into the fold when driving and push the top down onto my head.