Oklahoma Any good wheeling spots near Fort Sill, Oklahoma?

Bigmac

Rather be in 29 palms.
Supporting Member
So I got my orders today. Checking in to Fort Sill sometime in June.

Told one of the Gunny's I wheel with there wasn't any decent wheeling within 5 hours ( he was stationed there prior to 29palms).

He said there's a few decent places (not powerlines or redneck mud holes) within 3 hours but i can't for the life of me find them on the internet.

Is there a hidden rock crawling heaven close to fort sill or Elgin? would sure make my day if there was...

I’m not familiar with the area. I am due to PCS in a year. Hopefully to a more off-road friendly area

I spent a short amount of time in Fort Sill. Seemed really, really flat.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge chimes in because I didn't make it far off base.

Never wheeled there but have been through the area a handful of times when I was working for the DoD/DLADS/DRMO...

There isn't a whole lot of elevation around that area and reminds me a lot of mid and south Texas (DFW to the Houston area, then east towards Austin). Most of the guys I know in that area drive a long, long way to wheel and usually make annual trips out for just that reason (nothing good nearby).

I guess that's why most of the people I knew in OKC just had some wicked hot rods and street cars!

Never wheeled there but have been through the area a handful of times when I was working for the DoD/DLADS/DRMO...

There isn't a whole lot of elevation around that area and reminds me a lot of mid and south Texas (DFW to the Houston area, then east towards Austin). Most of the guys I know in that area drive a long, long way to wheel and usually make annual trips out for just that reason (nothing good nearby).

I guess that's why most of the people I knew in OKC just had some wicked hot rods and street cars!
middle united States seems to enjoy mud bogging... im not about that.

I guess with my current setup I'll still be in good shape to hit up Las Cruces NM, wolf creek TX, Moab UT, and Ouray CO. trips just might not be as frequent and require more planning...😒

Reactions: pc1p
Last edited:
Reactions: Bigmac and pc1p
There is some decent off-roading in Oklahoma. Disney (NE Oklahoma, Grand lake area) being one, quite a few areas east and south Oklahoma in the Ouchita Mtn range. I thought there was an area to off-road around Medicine Park which is right next to Fort Sill but I haven't been that way in 20 years so don't know what it's like there now. Welcome to South Oklahoma, land of the red mud.

Reactions: Bigmac
Forgot to add. Get with a local club they will know the areas to go. Also in the NW part of Ok is Little Seara which is sand and rocks. Trails there but I have never personally been.

Clayton has some good wheeling, it is probably about 4 hours away from you. Green Acres is awesome but it is not a place for beginners or small rigs. The rocks in that area surprisingly have very good traction; however, they are big, obstacles are big, trails/rocks are tight. From Clayton, you can also do some good overlanding through the Ouachitas, google the K-trail, Kiamichi Trail, Ouachita overland trail, or Trans Ouachita trail. They are all basically referring to the same trail. I have done overlanding (what we call donkey rides, don't know why) through the Ouachitas and the Ozarks on the Arkansas side, but haven't been over on the OK side yet.

I have never been to Disney, but it is on my list to do. I heard it is great. It is probably 4hrs away as well.