Got tagged in the parking lot today

Mhass

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Older fella just wasn't watching where he was going. I stopped to let another Jeep back out and he just smacked the passenger side. He's insured and they already called and admitted fault so it's on them.
Looks like I'll be getting a new door. Also a piece of the tub got pushed around the floor pan. Floor pan doesn't look buckled but the door sill is pushed in. I don't see the tub getting fixed without some cutting and welding. That's gonna make it an expensive fender bender.

Nobody hurt though, so there's something to be grateful for.
20220926_151614.jpg

20220926_151606.jpg

Older fella just wasn't watching where he was going. I stopped to let another Jeep back out and he just smacked the passenger side. He's insured and they already called and admitted fault so it's on them.
Looks like I'll be getting a new door. Also a piece of the tub got pushed around the floor pan. Floor pan doesn't look buckled but the door sill is pushed in. I don't see the tub getting fixed without some cutting and welding. That's gonna make it an expensive fender bender.

View attachment 362298

View attachment 362299

Time for some savvy sliders

Be careful that some fucktard at the InsCo doesn't try to "total" it.

Funny you said that- I was up at my little shop with a buddy that got one and told him they will total a TJ for that- I don’t know what the angle is or if it’s the fear of all the four-wheel-drive parts and transfer case damage but they will total one of these in a heartbeat.

I’ve had 2 that had rebuilt titles that were absolutely great- one was a recovered theft and one was laid on its side. Totaled with a TJ doesn’t mean creamed.

View attachment 362298

View attachment 362299

Ouch

Reactions: John Cooper
I’ve had 2 that had rebuilt titles that were absolutely great- one was a recovered theft and one was laid on its side. Totaled with a TJ doesn’t mean creamed.
"Totaled" with many things doesn't mean creamed. I've been through this fight twice now, over the same car both times. Bastards. "Next time", I'm taking the InsCo to small claims court.

A little off topic but, I have wondered how “Totaled” works… Is it as simple as the adjuster says that they are not willing to spend the money necessary to fix your Jeep and just offers you an amount in exchange for your “totaled Jeep”? Since it is totaled and presumably headed to the scrap heap, what happens to all your aftermarket parts that are still valuable?

What if you want to keep your Jeep (I have a big hammer, angle grinder and welder) and fix it regardless of their opinion?

View attachment 362298

View attachment 362299

Sorry man I feel for you

A little off topic but, I have wondered how “Totaled” works… Is it as simple as the adjuster says that they are not willing to spend the money necessary to fix your Jeep and just offers you an amount in exchange for your “totaled Jeep”? Since it is totaled and presumably headed to the scrap heap, what happens to all your aftermarket parts that are still valuable?

What if you want to keep your Jeep (I have a big hammer, angle grinder and welder) and fix it regardless of their opinion?

Not in the industry, but my understanding is that they take the cost to fix it divided by the total worth of the vehicle, and it's not totaled if it's under a certain threshold. Can't recall what the exact threshold was for my older vehicle that incurred damage, but I believe it was something around 70% of the vehicle's value (determined by the insurance company).

Now days used vehicles are worth more so they are totaling fewer vehicles (per Geico's words to me in July).

Even if it's totaled you can tell you insurance that you wish to take less money and keep the vehicle. I did that with a motorcycle that my buddy's dad wanted to get and restore since he had just opened up an independent dealership with 3 partners. I believe the vehicle will carry a salvaged title tag on it if you go this route.

IMO, it's best to not let them total it if you know you will want to keep it. Just ask the adjuster if they will pay out an amount right under the threshold if they are going to otherwise total it. My dude played ball and I was able to keep the old little car that I had previously refurbished but was worth very little on the market.

Be careful that some fucktard at the InsCo doesn't try to "total" it.

On high alert for fucktards.
They haven't met me yet, but most people don't push me too far for too long (cept exwives, but that's another thread).
I have a knack for making shit real expensive, real fast when a business tries to stick it in my ass.
Lawyers fees and admin costs add up quick when you have to answer a bunch of letters to the FTC and the state corporation commission on insurance and the attorney general.
Under the law, you have a right "to be made whole" when damaged by someone else's negligence.
You can make me whole by being decent, or by me FORCING you to be decent...do the math and choose wisely.
All I want is a simple fix to my jeep. I could do it myself if you want to pay for my time. But I'm not as cheap or fast as a good body man...or as expensive and slow as a lawyer.
I believe I need a new door, a section of tub cut out and replaced, a little grinding, a THIN coat of bondo and a good paint job and sealer. Should be doable for less than $6K. Let's don't quibble over money you'll spend in court and end up paying me anyway.
I do need to measure the top of the tub and make sure it wasn't shoved in, if it was there might be a little tweaking needed.

A little off topic but, I have wondered how “Totaled” works…

Does the cost of fixing it equal 50% or less than the vehicle is worth by the books and what the local market says?

They follow black and white law.

If the cost of repairs exceeds 50% of the vehicles worth, they are required by law to total it and pay you market value.

…iirc

Reactions: Texas-TJ