Got tagged in the parking lot today

but I believe it was something around 70% of the vehicle's value (determined by the insurance company).

Could be, the issue is when they green light a repair close to that percentage, they run the risk of the body shop coming back after tearing everything apart and it needing more. Pushing repair cost over that 70% and then paying more for repair than it’s worth. It takes a veteran adjuster to know what he’s looking at and a good body shop to fix something that messed up without crossing that threshold.

It’s why most will stick to the 50%, it gives the insurance company some wiggle room if the body shop finds more damage (more cost) upon starting the repair.

Reactions: JMT
Funny you said that- I was up at my little shop with a buddy that got one and told him they will total a TJ for that- I don’t know what the angle is or if it’s the fear of all the four-wheel-drive parts and transfer case damage but they will total one of these in a heartbeat.

I’ve had 2 that had rebuilt titles that were absolutely great- one was a recovered theft and one was laid on its side. Totaled with a TJ doesn’t mean creamed.

Well I've known people who you would of thought their vehicle was totaled for a little scratch on their bumper too !!!! Andy did you let your son drive your Caravan again ? or were you getting freaky with your blow up duck ?

• Angry
Reactions: AndyG
If you can replace them with stock parts, you can keep them.

If you cant, good luck getting added value. Progressive insurance said my rockjock 60 added no added value to my Jeep.

I've wondered about this a lot. So they said replace it with a dana 35 and you are good?

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I've wondered about this a lot. So they said replace it with a dana 35 and you are good?

So you have the Jeep towed home and acquire the stock parts, throw them on the have it towed back to the place of choice to turn it over to the insurance company?

On high alert for fucktards.
They haven't met me yet, but most people don't push me too far for too long (cept exwives, but that's another thread).
I have a knack for making shit real expensive, real fast when a business tries to stick it in my ass.
Lawyers fees and admin costs add up quick when you have to answer a bunch of letters to the FTC and the state corporation commission on insurance and the attorney general.
Under the law, you have a right "to be made whole" when damaged by someone else's negligence.
You can make me whole by being decent, or by me FORCING you to be decent...do the math and choose wisely.
All I want is a simple fix to my jeep. I could do it myself if you want to pay for my time. But I'm not as cheap or fast as a good body man...or as expensive and slow as a lawyer.
I believe I need a new door, a section of tub cut out and replaced, a little grinding, a THIN coat of bondo and a good paint job and sealer. Should be doable for less than $6K. Let's don't quibble over money you'll spend in court and end up paying me anyway.
I do need to measure the top of the tub and make sure it wasn't shoved in, if it was there might be a little tweaking needed.

The problem is FINDING a lawyer who will work with you. I couldn't. If you're not injured, they're not interested - AND - the laws here in Florida were OBVIOUSLY written by the Insurance industry.

So you have the Jeep towed home and acquire the stock parts, throw them on the have it towed back to the place of choice to turn it over to the insurance company?

I had my built jeep towed to my house when it was involved in an accident, so yes. You can do whatever you want to it once it’s in your garage/house, it’s your vehicle, the title is in your name.
And when they find comparables to get market value, its usually based off milage, exterior condition, and interior condition. And this from sitting in the body shop parking lot. Sure anyone competent at the insurance company would see you have a lift and tires and they might throw in some value or find comparables, but if you have something one off, good luck convincing the insurance company it’s worth what you think it’s worth, unless YOU can find comparables yourself to provide.

They didn't know what to do honestly, progressive insurance wrote an estimate with a frame replacement and the labor to do it. However, my frame was outboarded and setup for links not factory leaf springs. So I had some leverage when trying to get my way which was to have them write me a check.

I brought it up early, tried to resolve it as fast I could, and that, they did.

Think of this way, my impression was that if I had a TJ with an LS swap, crashed it, it wasn't my fault, it’s like the LS isnt even in there and might as well been a factory 4.0L to the persons insurance who was at fault.

I’m not sure what their insurance would have done if god for bid the crash caused a bent axle housing and it needed to be replaced. Because their programs say “Dana35 or Dana44” at a cost of what? Maybe $2k. They acted like they wouldnt be able to put an $8k axle through the system, it would reject it and flag it. Bc to their system it doesnt add up.

I would love to hear of other folks here who have one off builds and have been involved in accidents which required aftermarket parts to be replaced like an aftermarket one ton axle or a totaled built jeep with a v8 powertrain.

If you can replace them with stock parts, you can keep them.

If you cant, good luck getting added value. Progressive insurance said my rockjock 60 added no added value to my Jeep.

Might again be another policy issue that varies (this time company policy rather than jurisdiction based).

When I trashed motorcycle years back, they low-balled me half of the market value, but then I almost tripled my reimbursement from that amount because they slipped up and told me if I had receipts I could add those costs one (big whoops by the insurance company—that was back in 2007, so that insurance company may have buttoned up that policy if it bit them in the ass enough).

I believe my current insurance company simply wants to know what items have been added to the vehicle (and the value). I haven't provided them with that info, but my complete guess is that it would raise my insurance "x" amount and credit me for the products in the event I incur a loss.

I don't recall the insurance company that many have suggested in here, but that company allows you to simply tell them what to insure your vehicle for. That makes things simpler if there's a total loss, but I'm not sure how the company handles reimbursing partial losses (in that scenario I'd want documentation showing that I paid for the Dana 60 damaged in an accident).

Might again be another policy issue that varies (this time company policy rather than jurisdiction based).

When I trashed motorcycle years back, they low-balled me half of the market value, but then I almost tripled my reimbursement from that amount because they slipped up and told me if I had receipts I could add those costs one (big whoops by the insurance company—that was back in 2007, so that insurance company may have buttoned up that policy if it bit them in the ass enough).

I believe my current insurance company simply wants to know what items have been added to the vehicle (and the value). I haven't provided them with that info, but my complete guess is that it would raise my insurance "x" amount and credit me for the products in the event I incur a loss.

I don't recall the insurance company that many have suggested in here, but that company allows you to simply tell them what to insure your vehicle for. That makes things simpler if there's a total loss, but I'm not sure how the company handles reimbursing partial losses (in that scenario I'd want documentation showing that I paid for the Dana 60 damaged in an accident).

You are correct.

But that doesnt mean the insurance is going to pay out based on receipts. The insurance company is going to argue, and I feel like you would too on the idea of diminished value. Which is hard to calculate for an axle or an engine or an Atlas.

I wouldn't be surprised if they claimed something significant when it comes to diminished value bc of the optics of it being used, “off road”🙄

Lets remember they are in the business to make money first and foremost.

I sent them receipts and they claimed no added value for my aftermarket built 60. They would only use market value for the Jeep overall bc its all they use every. Single. Day. for all their claims. Its an uphill battle once you claim something one-off/custom

That same company you're thinking off and others as well have a clause written in most policies that say they have the right to go back to market value at any point. So no matter what you have and can prove, its really chance.

Again, you are right, but insurance companies still have a lot of say and sway when it comes to claims and there isnt much you can do.
Just as I said over and over again in my insurance thread, you have to read your policy word by word and adjust/research from there.

Reactions: MikeE024
They didn't know what to do honestly, progressive insurance wrote an estimate with a frame replacement and the labor to do it. However, my frame was outboarded and setup for links not factory leaf springs. So I had some leverage when trying to get my way which was to have them write me a check.

I brought it up early, tried to resolve it as fast I could, and that, they did.

Think of this way, my impression was that if I had a TJ with an LS swap, crashed it, it wasn't my fault, it’s like the LS isnt even in there and might as well been a factory 4.0L to the persons insurance who was at fault.

I’m not sure what their insurance would have done if god for bid the crash caused a bent axle housing and it needed to be replaced. Because their programs say “Dana35 or Dana44” at a cost of what? Maybe $2k. They acted like they wouldnt be able to put an $8k axle through the system, it would reject it and flag it. Bc to their system it doesnt add up.

I would love to hear of other folks here who have one off builds and have been involved in accidents which required aftermarket parts to be replaced like an aftermarket one ton axle or a totaled built jeep with a v8 powertrain.

So, let's say you're not in your Jeep, but you're in your original Shelby Cobra with Shelby's actual shit stain on the driver's seat and the dopey bastard backs his Grand Caravan into it.
You have the right to be made whole. It may mean finding Shelby's grandson and having him drop a deuce on a new seat.
The cost is theirs to bear. Often, people cave when some beuracrat trys to tell them their sweet car isn't worth what they think.
My answer to that is, "fuck you."
You are telling me what I would sell you my shit for. You are fulfilling your contractual obligation to assume the risk for your client. Bad decision on your part but not my problem unless you decide to measure weenies in court.
I hate to resort to the court system but thats what its there for.
If I'm right and you push it to court you're gonna lose twice.
What has worked well for me is not to try to get a lawyer to take my case, but to pay him up front for two hours of his ti m e and consult on specific statutes pertinent to the case.
For insurance, the value of everything is negotiable but only to a point, then I drop it in a judges lap.
Before dopey dude hit me, I decided what my jeep was worth. I didn't agree to a discount because there was a careless driver that YOU assumed the risk for.
Sorry about the rant. It's not directed at anybody here. I've just always had a strong reaction to being fucked over by a multi billion dollar company just because most people fold.
I have had good luck looking at a bean counter and saying, "I disagree with your assessment. I intend to make this as expensive as possible if you can't be reasonable."

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I have a knack for making shit real expensive, real fast when a business tries to stick it in my ass.
Lawyers fees and admin costs add up quick when you have to answer a bunch of letters to the FTC and the state corporation commission on insurance and the attorney general.
Under the law, you have a right "to be made whole" when damaged by someone else's negligence.
You can make me whole by being decent, or by me FORCING you to be decent...do the math and choose wisely.
All I want is a simple fix to my jeep. I could do it myself if you want to pay for my time. But I'm not as cheap or fast as a good body man...or as expensive and slow as a lawyer.

Keep in mind that some of those fees that you tack on to a company are written off as an "operating expense" or covered by their insurance. I'm built similarly in that I'll fucking fight for what is right, but sometimes our "bite" in doing so does not sink in as deep as we believe it does.

Example: I tried to settle medical issues from an accident for VERY cheap and did the leg work with the other party's insurance company for two years. It became clear that they were going to try to have the statute of limitations run on me, so I made some calls and had an attorney preserve my claim on the very last day. I then was deposed and later testified during the arbitration. I was awarded $18k when I originally would have settled for $1,000. Seems like they took a huge loss, but in the end, they deduct those losses from a big bag of gross profits.

I believe that's why insurance companies force our hands into playing nasty. —> it's profitable for them to operate that way because they know many people will get frustrated and ultimately no longer have a valid claim due to it being timed out.

Off-topic: Regarding medical damages, get an attorney. If your claim is valid they will likely get you more than you could ever get on your own because you have no leverage against them unless you are an attorney and they know you have the ability to preserve your claim (sue them) before SOL runs out.

Edit: FYI, it should be noted that I received roughly 33% of the total award (after attorney fees and the VA took their cut from the medical expenses). That's easily double of I would have gotten had the insurance company played nice with me.

Last edited:
Damn! Fat fingered a long response on the phone and accidentally thumbed it into the ether.

Basically, I said, We are all (Ok, me) getting worked up over nothing. The old fella's insurance company has been very pleasant and accommodating to date.
They authorized a rental for a month and agreed to extend it if need be, they were very pleasant and understanding when I declined their body shop suggestion because I have experience with them (deer strike) and they suck. Even said they will look at that shop with regards to future business.
They seem to be pleasant and efficient. Hopefully they stay that way.
I still like to get worked up sometimes...

Last edited:
Damn! Fat fingered a long response on the phone and accidentally thumbed it into the ether.

Basically, I said, We are all (Ok, me) getting worked up over nothing. The old fella's insurance company has been very pleasant and accommodating to date.
They authorized a rental for a month and agreed to extend it if need be, they were very pleasant and understanding when I declined their body shop suggestion because I have experience with them (deer strike) and they suck. Even said they will look at that shop with regards to future business.
I still like to et worked up sometimes...

Haha, yea I get revved up wanting to share in hopes to help others.

In doing so, I sometimes add tangential info (e.g., me talking about medical damages) in hopes that it could empower folks. I was trying to cut myself off from going too far (believe it or not) lol.

Glad their insurance has been pleasant so far! Best of luck with them making you whole again. 🙂

Reactions: Mhass
Here's a tactic that has worked for me. If you're dealing with an industry that is regulated by a governing body that requires a written response to a written inquiry or dispute---and you are definitely right-— and you want something solved quickly, call them and say, "I disagree. I am going to hang up the phone and write a letter which you are required by (governing body) to respond to in writing within 45 days. That letter will point out what I've already discussed with you. Then I'm going to call you this afternoon and do the same thing. If you don't correct this, I will call and write every morning and every afternoon until you resolve this. "

They will ignore it until those letters start rolling in and they have to spend the labor to answer each one. It sounds petty but one written response can cost $$$ in labor depending on the business. Had the VP of a major finance company walk a payoff letter to the fax while I was on the phone with him and check to make sure I received it. The written responses kept rolling in for another week as required by the FTC in this case. That tactic has worked several other times in similar situations. Note- I only resort to such tactics when an amateur asshole tries to play me and I have to show him what a professional is capable of.

I still like to get worked up sometimes...

I understand your reason for a rant.

Did you happen to give them a recorded statement?

if I were you, any further communication with the insurance company should be via email so it’s documented.

So, let's say you're not in your Jeep, but you're in your original Shelby Cobra with Shelby's actual shit stain on the driver's seat and the dopey bastard backs his Grand Caravan into it.
You have the right to be made whole. It may mean finding Shelby's grandson and having him drop a deuce on a new seat.
The cost is theirs to bear. Often, people cave when some beuracrat trys to tell them their sweet car isn't worth what they think.
My answer to that is, "fuck you."
You are telling me what I would sell you my shit for. You are fulfilling your contractual obligation to assume the risk for your client. Bad decision on your part but not my problem unless you decide to measure weenies in court.
I hate to resort to the court system but thats what its there for.
If I'm right and you push it to court you're gonna lose twice.
What has worked well for me is not to try to get a lawyer to take my case, but to pay him up front for two hours of his ti m e and consult on specific statutes pertinent to the case.
For insurance, the value of everything is negotiable but only to a point, then I drop it in a judges lap.
Before dopey dude hit me, I decided what my jeep was worth. I didn't agree to a discount because there was a careless driver that YOU assumed the risk for.
Sorry about the rant. It's not directed at anybody here. I've just always had a strong reaction to being fucked over by a multi billion dollar company just because most people fold.
I have had good luck looking at a bean counter and saying, "I disagree with your assessment. I intend to make this as expensive as possible if you can't be reasonable."
I hope you do, and I for one will be taking notes if you win. Getting a lawyer to even TALK to you, paid or not, proved to be difficult.

Got the jeep back today. Body shop did a damn good job! They even took my rental and said they'll return it
Zero dollars out of my pocket. Shop manager said they balked a little at the price (which was very reasonable) and then paid up quick. I'm actually thinking if switching to State Farm after being treated so well. I'll have to see how their prices stack up to USAA.
Body man said the "Sport" decks are discontinued and he can't source them but has a place that can scan the old one and print a decal. I just need to swing by.
Final cost was about $3800 total.