GPS comparison

The Gaiagps app seems to be able to connect to a "real" GPS unit and use that more accurate positioning data. Might check that out on my phone, and if it works as intended try it on an Android tablet. Now that would be cool.

Reactions: Chris
The Gaiagps app seems to be able to connect to a "real" GPS unit and use that more accurate positioning data. Might check that out on my phone, and if it works as intended try it on an Android tablet. Now that would be cool.

That would be pretty cool indeed. I try to use my phone for as much as possible since it cost a small fortune, and it's basically a computer in your hand!

Cell phones are computers...beats the heck out of my old i486 based computer by miles. (It's history by now)

Chris, you've gone and done it. Sent me down a technology rabbit hole. Mobile navigation for use specifically in a TJ. ARGHHH! :eek:

So, what do we need to navigate our TJ's? A display, a mount? GPS receiver? Maps? What else do we need. I'm thinking of design criteria here and critical functionality...

Cell phones are computers...beats the heck out of my old i486 based computer by miles. (It's history by now)

Chris, you've gone and done it. Sent me down a technology rabbit hole. Mobile navigation for use specifically in a TJ. ARGHHH! :eek:

My thought is this: If you have an amazingly powerful computer in your pocket (your phone) you may as well embrace it and use it for everything you possibly can. This is why companies like Garmin and others are really hurting right now. They were in the business of selling people hardware, but no one buys it (well not as many at least) anymore because now you have a phone that can do everything your Garmin unit can and more (for the most part).

Now Garmin (and the other companies) have started developing apps for the phones so that they can still make money (from selling their app software) and not be put out of business entirely.

Sure, I understand that some people would rather have a Garmin unit. But you and I both know that probably 95% of all people who are using GPS are city dwellers and have no need for anything other than Google Maps or Apple Maps on their phones.

True that. 95% of people don't need a Jeep either, but we are glad they buy them. It provides us Jeepers (Jeeple?) with spare parts and cheap Jeeps.

Gotta start someplace, and the technology is the limiting factor on the wish list. Does this sound like a thread in the Gear section? A discussion of Off road Jeep Navigation? Tools, tips, sources and limitations? What we want and what is available?

As an aside, I tend to go with single purpose tools. A catastrophic failure is less catastrophic when it only effects one function. But that's just me. I've been bit in the backsides before with multipurpose tools that fail.

True that. 95% of people don't need a Jeep either, but we are glad they buy them. It provides us Jeepers (Jeeple?) with spare parts and cheap Jeeps.

Gotta start someplace, and the technology is the limiting factor on the wish list. Does this sound like a thread in the Gear section? A discussion of Off road Jeep Navigation? Tools, tips, sources and limitations? What we want and what is available?

As an aside, I tend to go with single purpose tools. A catastrophic failure is less catastrophic when it only effects one function. But that's just me. I've been bit in the backsides before with multipurpose tools that fail.

I moved it to the gear forum, it makes more sense there!

I hear you about the catastrophic failure. I'm just trying to maximize the potential of my friggin' $900 iPhone 6S Plus!