GPS, reliable?

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Another news article on being lead astray by your GPS...

Over the last 25 days, Mountain Wave Search and Rescue volunteers have responded to 19 different rescue situations. Many of them taking place on the way to Bagby Hot Springs.

"Last night we were on a search for a stranded motorist. As we deployed our teams to where we thought they were, we were encountering many motorists that were looking for Bagby Hot Springs off the route that was normally traveled," Mountain Wave Search and Rescue member Scott Ballard said.

Why are so many people taking that road less traveled?
"Apparently GPS units are advising drivers to go up these back roads to get to these hot springs," Ballard said.

Many GPS apps like Google Maps are showing the safer of the two routes as closed. Professionals still say you should be prepared for anything before you leave the house.

"The route into Bagby is typical winter driving conditions. You need to be prepared for those roads: tire chains, carry extra supplies and stuff, because you get up in there in winter conditions," Ballard said.

"Grab the basics — food, water, shovel are the most important things. But make sure to tell someone where you are going and when you will be back or what to do if you don't show up. Like contact law enforcement," Mountain Wave Search and Rescue volunteer Cory Smelser said.

When it comes to what road you should take Ballard tells us to stick to the roads that are two numbers. If it is four numbers that's a good sign it's a secondary road. Ballard also says, because of the lack of cell service in these are

Be careful of depending on GPS, cell phone or other electronic devices. Have a map, a compass and common sense. Use them.

Reactions: Reign Mack
I saw one where some tourists followed the GPS into the ocean, haha!

Like way to use common sense.

It happens all the time, everywhere. Depending on GPS kills people every year. GPS and cell phones are technologies that are mostly aimed at city dwellers. Meaning that unless you have one of the GPS units that are specifically intended for use while hiking or outdoor adventures you are asking for trouble. Automatically discard any GPS that does routing for navigation on back roads, the base information isn't there to support routing. Don't assume that cell phone coverage is going to be available. Don't assume that your GPS will be able to see enough satellites to get an accurate fix, for that matter.

This is one of those things you can preach about until your blue in the face, to no avail.

Reactions: Chris
This is also one of those things where you need to use common sense. I mean these idiots who drove into a lake because their GPS told them to? I mean seriously...

Reactions: StG58
Nothing beats paper !!

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/backcountry-maps/backroad-mapbooks/bc-backroad-maps/

I swear by these

Idaho is on top today.

DSC_0005.jpg

Reactions: Kevin E
When GPS was first out and truckers would use it... truck routes were not marked... The US saw a 20 fold increase in trucks hitting bridges which were too low. A semi can be 13'6". Too many drivers missed the 11'4" sign.
syracuse-ny-semi-truck-crash-with-railroad-bridge.jpg

I use GPS nearly every day, especially during the week since I'm in outside sales. I may know how to get somewhere without it but I still use it since once in a while it surprises me with a faster better route I hadn't thought of. Not to mention the below GPS product tells you where the traffic is and cops are, something paper maps can't.

There's a newer free downloadable GPS program called Waze that I now swear by. Not only does it route you automatically around traffic jams and calculate your time based on real-time traffic updates, it also shows accidents or other problems up ahead. It also shows where the cops are from Waze users tagging them on the GPS as they're seen.

Waze is available for free for Android and iPhone and is well worth downloading.

Reactions: Kris11
i stick to google maps in the city, mainly because we are so congested here and google maps calculates traffic flow into journeys. only way i can beat gps is by getting onto the highway (or any large enough road) and breaking the speed limit. its useless off road or on industrial estates though. It depends more on gps assist (triangulating using cellphone tower connections) main roads and direction.

I use GPS nearly every day, especially during the week since I'm in outside sales. I may know how to get somewhere without it but I still use it since once in a while it surprises me with a faster better route I hadn't thought of. Not to mention the below GPS product tells you where the traffic is and cops are, something paper maps can't.

There's a newer free downloadable GPS program called Waze that I now swear by. Not only does it route you automatically around traffic jams and calculate your time based on real-time traffic updates, it also shows accidents or other problems up ahead. It also shows where the cops are from Waze users tagging them on the GPS as they're seen.

Waze is available for free for Android and iPhone and is well worth downloading.

This is what I use too! Its an awesome GPS and works really well. I used apple maps before but when I found Waze I now use that.

i stick to google maps in the city, mainly because we are so congested here and google maps calculates traffic flow into journeys. only way i can beat gps is by getting onto the highway (or any large enough road) and breaking the speed limit. its useless off road or on industrial estates though. It depends more on gps assist (triangulating using cellphone tower connections) main roads and direction.
Google Maps is very good and now does show traffic since they bought Waze last year. I sometimes end up using it when Google pulls it up automatically. Why I keep going back to Waze is that it also shows you where accidents are, road construction, radar speed traps, and cops hidden off the side of the road as reported by Waze users as they pass them. And rarely do I see a cop parked anywhere without someone having tagged him already on the Waze map. I now get nervous if I'm using Google Maps and not Waze, it's really nice to have all the Waze users reporting everything they see that can affect the drive.

Why I keep going back to Waze is that it also shows you where accidents are, road construction, radar speed traps, and cops hidden off the side of the road as reported by Waze users as they pass them.

Google Maps shows you where accidents and road construction are. However, I wish they'd show you where speed traps were located!

Google Maps shows you where accidents and road construction are.
I guess it does now that I think about it... now if Google Maps would only let people report the cops as they see them I'd start using it 100% of the time. Though I think Waze is a lot easier to use overall.

Reactions: Chris
Google Maps is very good and now does show traffic since they bought Waze last year. I sometimes end up using it when Google pulls it up automatically. Why I keep going back to Waze is that it also shows you where accidents are, road construction, radar speed traps, and cops hidden off the side of the road as reported by Waze users as they pass them. And rarely do I see a cop parked anywhere without someone having tagged him already on the Waze map. I now get nervous if I'm using Google Maps and not Waze, it's really nice to have all the Waze users reporting everything they see that can affect the drive.
i have been using google navigation/maps since 2010 it has always showed traffic, incidents and road works over here... but a lot of that information comes from out CCTV networks.

I guess it does now that I think about it... now if Google Maps would only let people report the cops as they see them I'd start using it 100% of the time. Though I think Waze is a lot easier to use overall.

Yeah, Google Maps is a bit confusing to use, I agree.

I too wish they would integrate more of the Waze features into it.