Grabar USA - out of production?

The sad thing as a small scale US manufacturer, is that you must have a price point that makes it not profitable to rip off.

I bought my Grabars direct from them 8/22. Paid $86 with free shipping. Didn't buy them based on price. Bought because they were US made and the product quality is exceptional.

The common problem these days is there are so many people ripping off product ideas that have access to significant resources and cheap labor.

The only reason I can keep doing what I do, is that all my equipment is paid for, and I do everything but powder coating in house. I keep my margins thin and rely on volume.

If you are able to design and build your own tooling, drive it, and process all the material yourself through final assembly, thats huge.

My guess is that their margins were thin, didn't do anything inhouse, and had some overhead.

Another thing that happens is the company that does the rip off work may be doing 100 different items so they have a revenue stream to figure this out and they’re not dependent just on the sales that they steal while they killed a home based manufacture.

Often they don’t even have to invest in the tooling because they have most everything.

And here we are in a country where gas is four dollars a gallon trying to keep the doors open.

I’m not being negative I’m just being harshly realistic.

If somebody doesn’t believe this they’ve never heard of a car called a Toyota or a Nissan.

That is what happens when you teach the other guy how to do it after you bombed them back to the Stone Age.

The front grab handles from Carolina Metal Masters (CMM Offroad) are similar in function, but better looking, to me. I've had mine for 6 years and continue to enjoy the effortless mount and dismount without having to pull on the steering wheel. The CMMs are rock solid. The soft roll bar handles never were much help.

[/URL]

Also, they offer easy mounting points for doorless mirrors or cameras.

Dam they’re pricey.

I bought the machined aluminum version because the Grabars are ugly as hell.
They may be a fine product that does what it claims, etc. but they were just too damned ugly for me.

Reactions: John Cooper
Reactions: John Cooper
Bought my grabars in 2019--dont remember what I paid for them, but as someone said there were already reports of the cheaper versions and knockoffs bending that I didnt even consider going with them. My grabars are rock solid.

20190719_164535.jpg

Anybody else got suggestions for Grabar type/style handles?

Not a fan of the CMM or ATP ones that have been shared. I like the way the Grabars mounted to the windshield/rollbar bracket and tucked out of the way a bit more. Also not a fan of the big chunk of aluminum hanging there. Looking for function over form?

Is my "best" (more like least bad) option to go with Grabar knockoffs? Not really what I want to do but sometimes that's the choice we get left with when knockoffs push the original out of the market. 🫤

Anybody else got suggestions for Grabar type/style handles?

Not a fan of the CMM or ATP ones that have been shared. I like the way the Grabars mounted to the windshield/rollbar bracket and tucked out of the way a bit more. Also not a fan of the big chunk of aluminum hanging there. Looking for function over form?

Is my "best" (more like least bad) option to go with Grabar knockoffs? Not really what I want to do but sometimes that's the choice we get left with when knockoffs push the original out of the market. 🫤

I couldn't/wouldn't trust the knock offs so I went with the ATP ones. Gonna do some more work and tuck them further up.
20230911_190044.jpg

The sad thing as a small scale US manufacturer, is that you must have a price point that makes it not profitable to rip off.

I bought my Grabars direct from them 8/22. Paid $86 with free shipping. Didn't buy them based on price. Bought because they were US made and the product quality is exceptional.

The only reason I can keep doing what I do, is that all my equipment is paid for, and I do everything but powder coating in house. I keep my margins thin and rely on volume.
i had a coworker a few years ago. did the powder coating in his garage. small parts are easy with just a standard home oven.

he installed a home oven and a counter top oven. then built a big oven out of insulated plywood when he moved up to rims and bumpers.

i had a coworker a few years ago. did the powder coating in his garage. small parts are easy with just a standard home oven.

he installed a home oven and a counter top oven. then built a big oven out of insulated plywood when he moved up to rims and bumpers.

In the beginning I had thought about doing my own. But it came down to mainly space for it all and what's my time worth.

I do 100-200 piece batches and am more than happy to have someone else deal with it 😃

Reactions: NDSpeed
Yeah I just can't get into those billet things. Billet has a place but I don't dig when people billet for the sake of billet.

I never went for the grabars either just based on the photos they still looked too conspicuous for my tastes. I'd go for something that really tucked as close as possible to the windshield frame.

I just have the soft ones that Velcro around the roll bar. Pulling forward like the grabars would be better but I don't even see them when I look at the jeep.

All that said, sucks to see a home grown American business go down. Would be cool if another American company that already has the equipment could buy any trademarks and patents and resurrect the product.

Reactions: tworley
Like I posted earlier, I have the originals and love them. I just searched for alternatives and found that Crown automotive has a copy # RT27061. Might be good???

The front grab handles from Carolina Metal Masters (CMM Offroad) are similar in function, but better looking, to me. I've had mine for 6 years and continue to enjoy the effortless mount and dismount without having to pull on the steering wheel. The CMMs are rock solid. The soft roll bar handles never were much help.

[/URL]

Also, they offer easy mounting points for doorless mirrors or cameras.

i really like my cmm grab handles and mirrors. expensive but, excellent craftsmanship.