Grand Cherokee

RHanna

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a 2019 Subaru Legacy that's been great but I don't drive it very much because I enjoy driving my TJ more. Right now I'm working from home full time but sometime in the future my employer will expect me to come in 1-2 days a week. That commute really sucks and it takes about an hour each way through Nashville. So it wouldn't be the greatest experience driving my manual TJ without A/C. Plus I enjoy offroading and I don't want to worry about breaking something on a DD.

I'm thinking about selling my car and purchasing something older and higher mileage. One option is an older grand cherokee. I just thought I would ask if there's anything major that I need to avoid (certain years, certain engines, etc.) I see a 2008 GC with 150,000 miles on it with the 5.7 engine. Would this be a good option?

I’d personally avoid the GC’s of that era.

You want reliable and commuting that distance, you can’t be breaking down much.

Honestly, if you trying to get from the payment, buy a decent Camry or Accord. 06-10 with 150k or less miles. Should be able find one cheap and owned by a older person with records. Bonus if you find a Avalon or Acura RL for the size, but much less common.

Should be 6-9k and reliable as any car you can own. Not fun. But a simple appliance.

I have a 2009 Camry. 115k on it, drives like new.

I’d personally avoid the GC’s of that era.

You want reliable and commuting that distance, you can’t be breaking down much.

Honestly, if you trying to get from the payment, buy a decent Camry or Accord. 06-10 with 150k or less miles. Should be able find one cheap and owned by a older person with records. Bonus if you find a Avalon or Acura RL for the size, but much less common.

Should be 6-9k and reliable as any car you can own. Not fun. But a simple appliance.

I have a 2009 Camry. 115k on it, drives like new.
Boooo

Just kidding. The practical side of me agrees. I’d like an SUV so maybe a Toyota/Lexus/Acura one instead of the one with the hemi.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Rick has some great suggestions or get a TJ with air and an automatic. You enjoy driving the TJ, get one you can live with and put miles on it.
Given how high prices for TJs are now I think I’ll pass. I thought about a second wrangler but they aren’t the best for long commutes.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Boooo

Just kidding. The practical side of me agrees. I’d like an SUV so maybe a Toyota/Lexus/Acura one instead of the one with the hemi

I get it. It sucks to be practical.

But yes, I drove lifted trucks and all that during my work commute. What I found out? Expensive tires. Poor ride.

Lots of fuel.

NOBODY cares.

Hell, my Harley didn’t get any special looks or treatment.

Buy an appliance.[/QUOTE]

I have a 2014 GC and I love it. Of course it is actually a Mercedes if that makes any difference.
We have one as well, 2014 Limited. Solid DD for the wife. Trouble free since new, oil changes and air filters.

Now I’m thinking maybe a full sized truck.
Not great gas mileage but I only go in 1-2 days a week but right now I’m full time work from home.
Gas doesn’t bother me to much because we just purchased a VW id4 all electric for the wife.
At least then I would be able to tow my Jeep if I wanted.
I’m 6’4” and I’ve owned a truck before. It’s obvious they have tons of room.
Truck engines typically last a long time.