Great Oregon Steam Up

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Went to the Great Oregon Steam Up this weekend (by the way @StG58, if you haven't been to this, you're missing out big time).

Anyways, I stumbled upon some really cool Willys Jeeps that had been fully restored. Check them out!

IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_8477.JPG
IMG_9928.JPG

That's a cool festival. I was there last weekend with the clan. Did you see the tank?

I sure did. Lots of very cool stuff here to say the least. I had never been to this before, but I'm glad I went. It's cool to see all this old fashioned machinery running on steam and other stuff. It's great to know there are people who take pride in restoring and preserving this old equipment.

Reactions: StG58
The steam sawmill is worth watching. The old diesels are just way to cool. The tractor pull is fun to watch as well. A buddy at work has an old D8 cat that a guy gave him if he could get it out of the woods, and he did. He's taking to the Steam up once he gets it working right again. You can spend days there and not see it all...

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked to there. The kids were tired, restless, and can only last so long. What I need to do is come back there on my own so that I can absorb it all. I could have easily spent all day there. Very cool stuff!

Next year we should plan a TJ outing to the Great Oregon Steamup. It's really more than you can take in, in a day or two, and both weekends are slightly different. They pull lawn tractors, one year they pulled a steam tractor (amazing!) and they've had the caterpillar tractors out doing cool stuff too. There's the truck museum. The steam railroad wrecker... Just way to much going on at that place for a one day visit.

I know what you mean about the kids, my grand-kids got tired, bored and cranky as well.

I agree, that might be a fun thing to do.

To enjoy that as a kid, you've got to be the right age. Not even a kid really... Probably more like a teenager, unless you happen to just be a kid whose really into steam engines and old machinery.

Hell, I thought it was cool to talk to all the older guys who were running the scale trains. Those guys put so much passion and dedication into that, it's just really cool.