Greetings From Huntington Beach

Skully

Greetings. I've been on the forum for a few weeks but I've been in the middle of rehabbing my Jeep so I was waiting until I had some new photos to upload before introducing myself.

20170923_211440555_iOS.jpg

I bought my TJ new in 97 (my first new vehicle). A 4 cylinder automatic, stripped down to the bare minimum. It was my daily driver - I bought it because I liked the look of it and it was a cheap convertible (a must-have as a new resident of southern California). I never planned on going off road, but a friend who had also just bought a TJ of his own took me on some dirt back road and I was hooked. Two weeks later I was on my first trail run. Bone stock.

Jamboree_2.JPG

(Baby photo - TJ's first hill)

I'm not very experienced as a mechanic but I have managed to do a lot of basic work on TJ myself. It's amazing what you can do with a set of torx wrenches and a credit card. New 31" tires & rims, bumpers, safari doors, diamond plating, nerf bars, spring spacer lift, shocks, sway bar discos, soft goods, onboard shower - lots of money spent and lots of questions from puzzled UPS drivers with heavy packages in the early years. It's not the most built up Jeep out there by far, but I would take it out to events like the TDS Desert Safari and Morongo Basin Desert Run year after year and it performed like a champ - it's never been down the chicken route on any run.

Life, needs, and finances changed over the years and poor TJ was sadly neglected. Now he's back with a new motor, transmission, and rear end, and looking spiffy again for his age. Still a few things to do to him but he's coming along nicely. He's semi-retired now, and will probably never go rock crawling again, but he's capable and ready to get dirty every now and again.

This forum has been very helpful so far with the rehab. I'm happy to be a part of it. Thanks for your past and future help.

20170923_211433282_iOS.jpg
20170923_211517655_iOS.jpg

Beautiful Huntington Beach huh? My uncle lives there and I visit from time to time. He's loaded out the wazoo and has this mini-mansion down there... I'm jealous, that's for sure!

Anyways, I like what you've done so far with the TJ. You might just live in the perfect place to enjoy a Wrangler! There's a bunch of 4 cylinder guys on here, so it's nice to see another one!

I don't have a mansion but housing isn't cheap here. But you can't beat the weather! I'm 4 miles from the beach and about 90 minutes from Big Bear or the desert, so plenty of places to wheel back in the day. So it's a trade-off, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

4 cylinders may not be the fastest thing on the freeway, but in 4-low it's still impressive what it's been capable of.

Reactions: Tj04
Yes, the paint is original. It's called Emerald Green. There were 2 different greens that year - this was slightly brighter than the other. it's holding us well except for some slight cracking on the hood due to some old overheating issues, but it's not that bad.

I don't have a mansion but housing isn't cheap here. But you can't beat the weather! I'm 4 miles from the beach and about 90 minutes from Big Bear or the desert, so plenty of places to wheel back in the day. So it's a trade-off, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

4 cylinders may not be the fastest thing on the freeway, but in 4-low it's still impressive what it's been capable of.

It's not even his money... His wife (my aunt) inherited 10 major hospitals in the Los Angeles area from her parents. So they ended up owning these 10 hospitals, so you can imagine... Anyways, I know housing isn't cheap there, because one time I looked. It's damn spendy, but so beautiful. I love it down there, I can tell you that.

These 4 cylinders suck on the highway, but they are great off-road, I know that much!

By the way - please forgive the cheap-ass tires. I have always run BFG ATs, but I was broke and had a death wobble so I needed to do something or resign myself to never driving over 35 mph again. I'm hoping to find a good deal on a tire and wheel package - I'd like to ditch my current rims and go all flat black and green.

Reactions: Chris
It's not even his money... His wife (my aunt) inherited 10 major hospitals in the Los Angeles area from her parents. So they ended up owning these 10 hospitals, so you can imagine... Anyways, I know housing isn't cheap there, because one time I looked. It's damn spendy, but so beautiful. I love it down there, I can tell you that.

These 4 cylinders suck on the highway, but they are great off-road, I know that much!

I always found it ironic that it can climb the steepest trails with virtually no effort, but when it comes to the grade on I-15 from Baker to Vegas, I could almost walk faster.

I always found it ironic that it can climb the steepest trails with virtually no effort, but when it comes to the grade on I-15 from Baker to Vegas, I could almost walk faster.

Yes, they really hate highway hills, that's for sure. I owned a 4 banger once and it was miserable how bad it was at going up hills at speed.

@Skully, you're way more dedicated to your first TJ than I ever was, even with an auto tranny...I bought the same SE, only red with a 5 speed manual, new back in '97, but only lasted 6 months with the 4 banger engine before I sold it and got a Sport...just think of all the $$ ahead I would be if I had stayed with that SE instead of all the 12+ Jeeps since...

@Skully, you're way more dedicated to your first TJ than I ever was, even with an auto tranny...I bought the same SE, only red with a 5 speed manual, new back in '97, but only lasted 6 months with the 4 banger engine before I sold it and got a Sport...just think of all the $$ ahead I would be if I had stayed with that SE instead of all the 12+ Jeeps since...

I've considered getting another Jeep several times over the years - the problem is that I refuse to get rid of my first TJ. I plan to be buried in it (I've been buried in it before, but I got towed out).