Greetings from Saltopia Pennsylvania

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
It began snowing last night here in Saltopia (a/k/a West Chester, PA from April through December) & snowed through the night, just got back in from my morning stroll & I’d say there’s about 1 to 1.5 inches of snow out there so far. In the past 90 minutes the dump truck/salt spreader has passed my house FOUR TIMES flinging salt in every direction. Seems like they’re more & more relying on salt as opposed to plowing, looks as if they’ve laid down as much salt as snow has fallen. Lucabella isn’t leaving the garage anytime soon that’s for sure :sneaky:.

Forgetting for a minute the rust related issues it causes, it blows my mind that in this era of environmental awareness that I haven’t heard any complaining about this? I mean I get it, salt is cheap & it works, but damn

Reactions: Chris
Yea, some of the salt trucks around here dump an obscene amount of salt. I mean, my culdesac constantly gets turned into a big green river when it hardly needs anything as it's not on an incline and has almost no traffic.

I've heard some discussion about it on local radio, but I don't think there's been enough action from it. It's a hard issue to sell though. Spin-outs and people slipping on sidewalks is something that people experience and witness first hand, while polution is something people rarely experience as directly. Still, it's sad since the moniker of "Land of 10,000 lakes" for Minnesota is an understatement and this crap really screws with fish and wildlife.

this crap really screws with fish and wildlife.

yup, and apparently much more:

https://slate.com/technology/2010/02/does-road-salt-harm-the-environment.html
A week or so ago we had what amounted to a dusting & the salt squadrons were out en force then too. While doing one of that day's walks I came upon a pile of salt in the road maybe 3 feet in diameter & if I had to guess it was probably at least 50lbs of rock salt. This is what happens when the salt-truck driver stops for 15 seconds to do whatever & doesn't close the little chute on the back, sadly a common sighting during the winter.

By the way, that pile is still there; it'll take weeks if not a month or more until it melts away with each coming rain, unless of course a plow comes by & flings the entire pile into one of my neighbor's front lawns :LOL:

Reactions: Equilibrium31
It blows my mind they use salt. Like you said, even with the whole frame rust thing aside, it's been proven to be bad for the environment. All these activists, yet no one seems to be the slightest bit concerned about all the sale they use?

I'm glad they don't use salt here.

Ruins vehicles, ruins roads, ruins bridges, screws up the environment .

Stopping the salt would mean:
Less roadwork IE union
Less cars sold! (hurting more factory workers) You salt free states don't trade near enough!
Less plowing, salting crews. IE more state and county workers out of work.
Less income for the states that sell salt.

To stop salting the living shit out of roads would destroy the economy!

(Remember when you see that vintage chrysler minivan sailing toward your intersection then cramming the brakes.....today might be the day that rotted brake line blows!)