Greetings from the Scottish Borders

Caledonian

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello, a newbie from the Scottish Borders. Just importing a Japanese 2004 TJ 4.0 Auto in Yellow..(sunglasses needed)..

Had a few SUV/4x4s over the years: 2 Door 1981 Range Rover/Vauxhall Frontera SWB/Isuzu Trooper/Freelander 1/Jeep Grand Cherokee/Mitsubishi L200

Just spent 4 years twiddling with my yellow BMW Z4 and now looking for my next project.

Not expecting to do much serious mud plugging but we have loads of forest tracks around here.

Looking for tech advice /purchasing support and general info..

40+ years in aerospace and IT so generally technically ok..

Congrats on the new Jeep and welcome. Any questions that arise along the way will be answered here for sure

Thanks everyone...looking forward to absorbing the knowledge and tinkering away...👍

Here are a few pictures of the possible import..comments welcome

8098C860-BC8E-4562-84EE-D7BAED940929.jpeg

DD2749B2-DA82-4C3D-92BB-26CCA10605F8.jpeg

C64C3280-1893-4F38-A4F6-D2E26D588D52.jpeg

716DF452-B93F-4500-9026-C694F1833E17.jpeg

BE8A2585-1385-43C9-A43C-60E6F6DDBB55.jpeg

DF55A4C4-F1EE-475F-8B08-56B3567A318F.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks in very nice condition, and I like the colour (always have liked yellow on the right cars). Looks like it may have a few mods on it already.

Good to have another UK contributor.

Looks in very nice condition, and I like the colour (always have liked yellow on the right cars). Looks like it may have a few mods on it already.

Good to have another UK contributor.
Hi, yes it looks like it’s had a few mods..bit of Russian Roulette buying like this but decided to take the plunge..I’ll take the snorkel off when I get it and do a bit of cosmetic refurbishment...I suspect the Japanese sat nav will not be a lot of use in Scotland..

Should have more ground clearance than my Zed..

5B0F083B-DC95-4740-A873-8E6EA90249EC.jpeg

677DD39A-A533-4740-9624-8DF186CC42AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: cliffish and UKTJ
Hello everyone...thanks for the welcome, much appreciated!

A great body of resources and experience here which I’m slowly assimilating.

As usual as a newbie I now know things that would have been useful on my search / selection of my first Jeep!

i’ve used the vin decoder to see what the TJ 1994 Sport that was a Japanese export that I’m buying...I can see from the pictures that there have been a number of mods, wheels/tyres and I think a lift kit?

The frustration now is the wait...I transferred the funds it looks like it may be around 8-9 weeks before it lands in the UK.

I then have to go through a relatively smile import / registration process slightly complicated by COVID and Brexit related issues.

I’m not currently planning to do any serious mud plugging or rock climbing , in part with no other vehicles to pull me out / help me if I get stuck so whilst making the TJ look ‘chunky’ and like a Tonka Toy I’ll be driving just on forest tracks and low grade roads and poodling around as takes my fancy.

My current plans so far include re-furb of the alloys, new front and rear bumpers, side protectors, new top, an Android head unit, upgraded speakers, rear disc conversion...plus full change of oil and filters all round. Plus machine polish of the paint.

Looking at maybe some body armour to offset the large areas of yellow?

Longer term maybe a LSD for the front Dana 30 axle with maybe stronger driveshafts etc, better shocks if required...and.....

Probably be using Quadratec as US prices are so much cheaper than UK prices..unless bas reports come out..

I see the upgrade / re-furb as a two year-ish project..

Welcome, looks like you've got a clean one there! Looking forward to seeing more of it when it lands with you.
Derek

Hello everyone...thanks for the welcome, much appreciated!

A great body of resources and experience here which I’m slowly assimilating.

As usual as a newbie I now know things that would have been useful on my search / selection of my first Jeep!

i’ve used the vin decoder to see what the TJ 1994 Sport that was a Japanese export that I’m buying...I can see from the pictures that there have been a number of mods, wheels/tyres and I think a lift kit?

The frustration now is the wait...I transferred the funds it looks like it may be around 8-9 weeks before it lands in the UK.

I then have to go through a relatively smile import / registration process slightly complicated by COVID and Brexit related issues.

I’m not currently planning to do any serious mud plugging or rock climbing , in part with no other vehicles to pull me out / help me if I get stuck so whilst making the TJ look ‘chunky’ and like a Tonka Toy I’ll be driving just on forest tracks and low grade roads and poodling around as takes my fancy.

My current plans so far include re-furb of the alloys, new front and rear bumpers, side protectors, new top, an Android head unit, upgraded speakers, rear disc conversion...plus full change of oil and filters all round. Plus machine polish of the paint.

Looking at maybe some body armour to offset the large areas of yellow?

Longer term maybe a LSD for the front Dana 30 axle with maybe stronger driveshafts etc, better shocks if required...and.....

Probably be using Quadratec as US prices are so much cheaper than UK prices..unless bas reports come out..

I see the upgrade / re-furb as a two year-ish project..
Glad to hear things are progressing, must be a frustrating wait.

I have been assemblying a wish list of parts from Quadratec as well. I am working on the understanding that having paid Quadratec they ship the parts to the UK. Once they arrive with customs some sort of invoice gets issued which then has to be paid before the shipping company can deliver the parts. In terms of the import costs I am working on 2.5% duty on the cost of the parts plus VAT at 20% calculated on the cost of the parts, shipping* and duty. Is that your understanding of how it works?

* My understanding is that they make an allowance for a small part of the shipping cost being for the UK port to door leg and do not add VAT to that, but for convenience I just ignore that.

Hello UKTJ...

I used to (in a previous life) import aircraft parts for our fleet..so the general rules outside of special Brexit related isses AFAIK are:

Costs when landed are:

Duty (which varies on class of object, cars are 10% for example)
Freight costs
Handling and admin charges
VAT at 20% on all of the above

Not sure what the duty rates as for Jeep parts.. I'll look at some point..still I think a lot less than UK dealers charge AFAIK?

Reactions: UKTJ
Hello UKTJ...

I used to (in a previous life) import aircraft parts for our fleet..so the general rules outside of special Brexit related isses AFAIK are:

Costs when landed are:

Duty (which varies on class of object, cars are 10% for example)
Freight costs
Handling and admin charges
VAT at 20% on all of the above

Not sure what the duty rates as for Jeep parts.. I'll look at some point..still I think a lot less than UK dealers charge AFAIK?
Is the handling and admin charge an amount the customs apply? I saw some mention online of a £40 charge that sounded like it may be. If so it is a good reason to group purchases. But then that approach seems to make sense anyway as there appear to be significant savings on the shipping cost from doing that.

I tried to take a look at the duty issue, it looks like a complete minefield. I looked here to try and get clarity...

Motor cars and other motor vehicles principally designed for the transport of persons (other than those of heading 8702), including station wagons and racing cars - The Online Trade Tariff - GOV.UK (trade-tariff.service.gov.uk)

At one level it seems very complex, with a really detailed catagorisation. But at another it is relatively simple, it looks like the majority of things have a duty of 4%, but interestingly suspension parts appear to be 2%, no idea why. Even with the difference between 2% and 4% it is not a huge issue, and either way not material relative to the shipping costs and VAT. Would be good to hear back when you have had chance to look in to it as it sounds like you have a lot of relevant experience.

Having looked at a number of items the saving of importing does vary considerably. While it often follows what you would expect with relatively cheap items that weigh a lot representing less of a benefit from importing it is not always the case, for example one of the biggest savings seems to be on a Slip Yoke Eliminator / Drive (prop) shaft combination.

Yes it’s simple but detailed..so to answer your first question the handling charge usually comes from the entity that is processing the UK onwards part of the shipment process..could be FedEx, Royal Mail, DPD etc..

They will levy an administrative charge based on their rates and the complexity of the clearance process.

As you say duty varies by the specific detail..so when you order a large list of parts (which is logical from a shpimento charges) then it’s a bit of Russian Roulette as to whether people treat it all under one category or break it down into the full parts list..

Then VAT gets levied on the total amount ..goods..transit costs..duty..

Ebay has a nice trick with certain vendors with their international shipment program where they integrate all that into one easy transaction..something to bear in mind for certain imports if available..

Reactions: UKTJ