Grill, smoker, or griddle for camping?

I have a 22” Blackstone too. It’s pretty large, no trouble cooking for 6 people. I went back and forth between the 22 and the 17 inch. Finally decided on 22 so I have two burners with more control. It does burn through the 1 lb tanks right quick though. I need to plumb in a QD fitting to my coach’s LP system. It has a 60 lb tank, so no biggie there.

I have a port on mine which is a new thing for me as I've never had that option before. So, I've got a splitter and hoses so I can run the grill, lantern, fire pit & stove. Which is how I like to have things setup. I had one of the trees that clamped onto a 20lb bottle and fed all that stuff also.
I'll carry 2-3 20lb propane bottles with me as backup.

Reactions: tr21triton
I can cook almost anything on the blackstone you can cook on a grille , fire or Coleman stove. only thing it doesn't do is the johnsonville Italian sausages because there curved, but hotdogs or brats it does good, the curve on the Italians just doesn't allow for contact with the surface. I carry a small camp grille that goes over the fire for those if necessary

While you can not get color on all sides one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T06WEZY/?tag=wranglerorg-20 and a condiment bottle of water gets the job done.

I have a port on mine which is a new thing for me as I've never had that option before. So, I've got a splitter and hoses so I can run the grill, lantern, fire pit & stove. Which is how I like to have things setup. I had one of the trees that clamped onto a 20lb bottle and fed all that stuff also.
I'll carry 2-3 20lb propane bottles with me as backup.

my camper has 2 40lb and I carry a extra 30lb for the blackstone and lanterns

Reactions: Wildman
my camper has 2 40lb and I carry a extra 30lb for the blackstone and lanterns

I'm not sure of the size of my tank but the Host 300 which is a 30' instead of the 35' like mine has a 18 gal tank or 80lb tank so my SWAG is it's the same or a 100lb tank.

Reactions: tr21triton
We always go as a group so we bring different cooking devices and everyone uses what they want depending on what kind of meal.

I bring an Asmoke travel smoker and a knockoff jet oil (mainly used for coffee but also for dehydrated meals etc)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=35040
1659362473255.jpeg

1659362514505.jpeg

Another friend brings a black stone cast iron flat top that has a small deep fryer on the side.

Another brings a jet oil genesis… really just a fancy folding gas stove

BTW.. on the Asmoke pellet grill you can perfectly bake smoked crescents, rolls, biscuits as well. Best is, after startup it only uses like 30watts. The initial light uses a lot because of the igniter, but you can disconnect it and manually light it to save battery if you prefer.

BTW.. on the Asmoke pellet grill you can perfectly bake smoked crescents, rolls, biscuits as well. Best is, after startup it only uses like 30watts. The initial light uses a lot because of the igniter, but you can disconnect it and manually light it to save battery if you prefer.

I'm looking forward to trying the Asmoke grill. I enjoy cooking a nice roast or steaks.

Reactions: DWR
I typically use a Gas One single burner stove and a Scottle (aka "discada"). Both can use a 1# propane bottle or an 8 oz. butane cannister. The steel "suitcase" table is from the Riley Stove Company in Montana.

1659362621173.jpeg

I sometimes use a Gas One GS-2400 grill, which also uses 1# propane bottles or 8 0z. butane cannisters.

1659363334818.png

I have since replaced the Gas OneGS-800P 7000 BTU "mini" stove pictured above with a more powerful Gas One GS-3900P 15,000 BTU single burner stove.

1659363571805.png

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to trying the Asmoke grill. I enjoy cooking a nice roast or steaks.

Oh it does those VERY nicely! Just a heads up, the right side is a bit hotter than the left so plan to rotate the meat or put the thicker side in that direction. It’s not bad, but just good to be aware of.

Also… make sure you follow the instruction and actually do the initial burn in before cooking on it. Don’t want nasty production chems getting in your food. Just let her light up and run it as hot as it can go for 30min and you’re good.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.
I don't have a covered porch at my house so I haven't bought a pellet grill for the house. Plus I don't have a good dry place for the pellets. So this will be my first experience cooking with a pellet grill.

I don't have a covered porch at my house so I haven't bought a pellet grill for the house. Plus I don't have a good dry place for the pellets. So this will be my first experience cooking with a pellet grill.

Oh ok, so my suggestion… make a cheap cover out of koi pond liner. Will last for practically the life of the grill and is 100% waterproof. Haven’t had any issues transporting mine covered with that in the rain. Also, when going on a trip use a coffee can or one of those fancy sealing containers to bring extra pellets. I’ve found the pellets arn’t as sensitive to humidity as I initially thought. Mine are stored in the garage in the open bag they came in…. No issues.

Don't need a covered porch for a pellet grill. Mine sits outside and only gets its cover on occasion.

Here's what you need for pellet storage ( I buy these when they are about $12)
1659367294897.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJDXBWB/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: DWR and Wildman
I use one of two Magma grills. I have a gasser that uses 1lb bottles and a charcoal version as well. Also have a Jetboil with me all the time. It can run propane or butane as can the Magma. Cast iron griddle or skillet adds to the versatility.

I am backpacker at heart so my camping solutions lean towards ultra lite and I am almost always solo.

We don't have fire bans here so I also have and often use a Billy Bob for open fire cooking. Would like to try the a Scottle.. seems like a really good all-in-one options other than... boiling water. Can't really do that on a Scottle, can you?

Don't need a covered porch for a pellet grill. Mine sits outside and only gets its cover on occasion.

Here's what you need for pellet storage ( I buy these when they are about $12)
View attachment 347467
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJDXBWB/?tag=wranglerorg-20

When I'd first looked at some of the Traeger grills the sales rep that was demonstrating them told me that I needed a covered porch to keep it out of the rain and snow or I'd have to empty the hopper after each use, or the pellets would get soggy. So, I'd never looked into them again.

Reactions: Apparition
When I'd first looked at some of the Traeger grills the sales rep that was demonstrating them told me that I needed a covered porch to keep it out of the rain and snow or I'd have to empty the hopper after each use, or the pellets would get soggy. So, I'd never looked into them again.

I don't have a traeger so can't speak for them. I leave the hopper on mine full and haven't had any issues with rain or snow.

I have a traeger. Left it out all winter, spring and summer in my driveway. Huge winds and rain storms this year. No problems with pellets getting wet.

I have a traeger. Left it out all winter, spring and summer in my driveway. Huge winds and rain storms this year. No problems with pellets getting wet.

I'm just going off what the sales rep had told me. but it's nice to know I could get one and not have to worry about it.

So I got the 17" Blackstone. Anybody have any good suggestions for packing and transporting inside an LJ? I know what 17" means but for some reason I was expecting it to be smaller, and probably not as heavy.

I don't want food smells all over my non-culinary camping gear and I don't want to have it bouncing around loose.