Grind into 2nd gear

mattyice2

TJ Enthusiast
Hey everyone I just changed my manual transmission fluid with some Pennzoil Synchromesh. Ever since then, when i start driving my transmission will grind while going into 2nd gear. However after about 5 minutes it shifts fine. Is this something to be worried about or should i just get used to it?

Hey everyone I just changed my manual transmission fluid with some Pennzoil Synchromesh. Ever since then, when i start driving my transmission will grind while going into 2nd gear. However after about 5 minutes it shifts fine. Is this something to be worried about or should i just get used to it?
What transmission?

I would be concerned if there is a grind after a fluid change. Did you put enough fluid in? Any leaks around the drain plug? When draining the old fluid did anything metal come out?

Two weeks ago I threw in some Red line MTL and it shifts so smoothly now, so that is why I would be concerned?

I’m about 7,000 miles into my first change using Pennzoil Synchromesh in my NV3550 and I am experiencing the same exact thing. I’m going to replace the fluid when I do my oil change here in the next week or two. I’ll probably try the synchromesh one more time, and the switch to the royal purple if it continues again. An additional note is this is a one year old transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont have any grinding, but I’d say at least 3 or 4 back to back shifts into 2nd gear are a bit notchy on my AX15. But there’s always a smooth shift into 2nd in the mix. I too run Pennzoil synchromesh in mine and plan on switching to MT90 next change. My trans only has about 18k miles on it now. New, from Rockland Standard Gear.

I dont have any grinding, but I’d say at least 3 or 4 back to back shifts into 2nd gear are a bit notchy on my AX15. But there’s always a smooth shift into 2nd in the mix. I too run Pennzoil synchromesh in mine and plan on switching to MT90 next change. My trans only has about 18k miles on it now. New, from Rockland Standard Gear.

I'm looking at doing the same switch next time I get the chance. Is the MT90 the right oil or is MTL better? (Or are they equally as good?). Not really up to date on my oil weights. I know the MTL states that it is the correct one, but is the 90 better for a NV3550?

https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil
or
https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-90-75w90-gl-4-gear-oil

I'm not and never have been a fan of Synchromesh from Pennzoil or GM. There are just too many negative comments about lit like yours even though it technically meets the specifications. For your NV3550 as well as the NSG370 I'd run nothing but Redline MTL.

Do this...price difference is immaterial. Red Line MTL

I'm looking at doing the same switch next time I get the chance. Is the MT90 the right oil or is MTL better? (Or are they equally as good?). Not really up to date on my oil weights. I know the MTL states that it is the correct one, but is the 90 better for a NV3550?
Redline MTL for the NV3550 and NSG370, Redline MT-90 for the AX-5 and AX-15.

Is it subjective or are there any benefits to using Redline MTL on the NSG370 vs. Mopar NSG/NSG3550 fluid?
From my own experience with the 6 spd and Redline MTL; the popping out of first issue went away completely, shifting was smoother and less notchy, trans noise was reduced. So it did make a noticeable improvement in mine.

This one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPCBEG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The manual in my LJ is recently really notchy from gear to gear, forcing slow shifts particularly when not fully warmed up. Clutch feels normal in operation, just gear changes feel really weird.

Yes, that is the correct part number, 50204. Use Red Lines web site to locate an authorized dealer, which Amazon is, but they are 2 bucks more expensive than the next site. If you can find, or spend enough to qualify for free shipping, through Summit or ECS Tuning I would recommend using them over Amazon.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil

Reactions: Vcook
Redline MTL for the NV3550 and NSG370, Redline MT-90 for the AX-5 and AX-15.
I'm not really sure what your talking about with the nv3550? Nsg370? Ax-5? Ax-15? Can you explain this to me? I am having clutch problems too. Hard to go into first and 2nd gear and grinding reverse. Does changing manual transmission fluid help? I have a 98 sahara 4.0L which fluid do I need? I know from experience changing 100% of oil on old vehicles can be bad. Hahaha :( should I only change half?

Also what kind/brand of fluid do I add to the clutch fluid resivor?

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. Thanks Jerry

I'm not really sure what your talking about with the nv3550? Nsg370? Ax-5? Ax-15? Can you explain this to me? I am having clutch problems too. Hard to go into first and 2nd gear and grinding reverse. Does changing manual transmission fluid help? I have a 98 sahara 4.0L which fluid do I need? I know from experience changing 100% of oil on old vehicles can be bad. Hahaha :( should I only change half?

Also what kind/brand of fluid do I add to the clutch fluid resivor?

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. Thanks Jerry

MT-90 for you, as you have one of those trannys, AX-15. To find out the difference see link below. Grab some MT-90, 4 quarts and see if that helps. The second link has fluid capacities.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-stock-specifications.71/#post-178

https://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/maint.htm

Reactions: Matt77
Thanks to all posters for the info! Drained out about 1.25 quarts of worn looking fluid and filled with redline MTL(almost 2 quarts). Transmission shifts much better now. (6speed)
How did you drain the transmission fluid out bc I'm about to do that? Did you pump it out the fill hole? Or loosen up the drain hole just enough for it to come out slowly?