Grind into 2nd gear

Pulled the filler to be sure I could refill. Then I pulled the drain plug and let it all dump out in a pan. Let it drip drip for a bit, clean the metal from the magnetic plug, wipe the hole, replace the plug, torque to spec. Pump new fluid into filler hole till it comes out, replace plug and torque.

Reactions: skrelnik and Matt77
@Matt77 I made this to fill my trans fluid our of a week killer bottle

IMG-0203.JPG

@Matt77 I made this to fill my trans fluid our of a week killer bottle

View attachment 50836
As I was searching around the Internet, I saw they make pumps that screw onto quart size oil . I'll just save the next one I use and clean it. I think I'm going to try to unscrew the filler and pump out a quarter and then pump back in what ever it needs. Since I haven't kept up with it, I don't want to wreck the transmission. I do like your design.

Reactions: JMT
As I was searching around the Internet, I saw they make pumps that screw onto quart size oil . I'll just save the next one I use and clean it. I think I'm going to try to unscrew the filler and pump out a quarter and then pump back in what ever it needs. Since I haven't kept up with it, I don't want to wreck the transmission. I do like your design.
Why? Just replace it all. The drain plug is covered in metal filings, good chance to get that out of there.

Reactions: skrelnik and JMT

The local advance auto or autozone will also have the pump filler for like 5 bucks.

You have a different tranny than @Vcook and myself, so we require less fluid, about 1.5 qts for our NSG 370 and 3.25 qts for your AX-15. Link below.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...FObQ4qHVJuznwNoILjwaAhjWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-fluid-capacities.195/

I built my own because those cheap ones leak and the bottles crush while you are pumping and they are soooooo slow. Mine you pump it about 10 times and pull the trigger. You won't fill it the first try, but you can pump without crushing the bottle and you pull the trigger to let the fluid go in.

Anyways just wanted to share in case anybody was interested. I think it cost 10 bucks to make and it hangs on my tool shelf and is re-usable.

Reactions: Necro
I built my own because those cheap ones leak and the bottles crush while you are pumping and they are soooooo slow. Mine you pump it about 10 times and pull the trigger. You won't fill it the first try, but you can pump without crushing the bottle and you pull the trigger to let the fluid go in.

Anyways just wanted to share in case anybody was interested. I think it cost 10 bucks to make and it hangs on my tool shelf and is re-usable.
I'd buy one of those if you made them haha. I have not found a good long-term solution for refilling differentials, t-cases, etc. which frustrates me to no end. I've bought several types of pump style fillers that screw on top of the bottle but as you say, they're slow and invariably something happens where it spills on the ground. I don't do it enough to spend big $$$ on it but often enough to be frustrating.

Reactions: Matt77 and ac_
I'd buy one of those if you made them haha. I have not found a good long-term solution for refilling differentials, t-cases, etc. which frustrates me to no end. I've bought several types of pump style fillers that screw on top of the bottle but as you say, they're slow and invariably something happens where it spills on the ground. I don't do it enough to spend big $$$ on it but often enough to be frustrating.

Haha, maybe I should start an Etsy store?

Yours look way easier to use than the old school suction gun I use. Mine is the type that looks like a grease gun. Works but messy.

Reactions: ac_
Yours look way easier to use than the old school suction gun I use. Mine is the type that looks like a grease gun. Works but messy.
Mine is clean I do put a pan under the the trans and transfer case, so when it gets full and over fills it can run over into the pan.

The $5 pump that slips into the bottle worked fine for me, I guess it took a fair amount of pumps but the total job including getting tools out and cleaning up was only 40 minutes. The biggest hurdle was those goofy shaped redline bottles were too narrow at the top for the pump, so I just lopped off the top inch to slip it in.

Reactions: Matt77 and skrelnik
Why? Just replace it all. The drain plug is covered in metal filings, good chance to get that out of there.
Wrong advice my friend I know from experience that if you don't keep up with transmission fluid on an old vehicles than you change and not too long after the tranny craps out. Bc when you finally change all those shavings and gunk sealed certain parts in there and when you change the fluid it all loosens up and than it takes a shit. :(

That changing the ATF after it hasn't been changed enough will cause the transmission to fail is nothing more than a myth and an old wive's tale. The root cause of that kind of failure was the lack of maintenance and its ATF not having been changed. If the transmission fails soon after getting its ATF flushed/changed, it was close to failing by that point anyway. It's NEVER a bad thing to flush and change an automatic transmission's ATF. Never ever will it be a bad idea or be the true cause of the failure if it happens.

Last edited:
That changing the ATF after it hasn't been changed enough will cause the transmission to fail is nothing more than a myth and an old wive's tale. If the transmission fails after getting its ATF flushed/changed, it was close to failing anyway. It's NEVER a bad thing to flush and change an automatic transmission's ATF. Never ever will it be a bad idea or be the true cause of the failure if it happens.

Glad you replied Jerry as the internet is full of rubbish, and while I have read that if you have never changed your tranny fluid in an older vehicle, you should do a partial change. Seems likes a myth to me and glad you chimed in.

Since you mentioned an automatic tranny, does the same hold true for a manual tranny? I assume yes, but will feel more confident after hearing from you.

That changing the ATF after it hasn't been changed enough will cause the transmission to fail is nothing more than a myth and an old wive's tale. The root cause of that kind of failure was the lack of maintenance and its ATF not having been changed. If the transmission fails soon after getting its ATF flushed/changed, it was close to failing by that point anyway. It's NEVER a bad thing to flush and change an automatic transmission's ATF. Never ever will it be a bad idea or be the true cause of the failure if it happens.
You may know alot @Jerrybransford my hats off to you but you are surely wrong about this. Like I said when you never change the transmission fluid the gunk and shavings form seals in the transmission and when you change the fluid after never doing it on an old vehicle all that loosens up and the transmission will fail and your wrong the transmission would not have failed just as soon. I know this for fact man! Bc I had an old van that I never kept up trannys fluid and let the ass holes at at quick lube talk me into changing all the fluid and a flush and failed shortly after. You tell these guys on here any different and they are going to be sorry with a 1500.00 bill to rebuild there transmission. Now like I said and other members have said when you neglected your transmission the safest way is only replace a little at a time. It will rejuvenate the viscosity. I'm sorry friend but I don't agree with you bc I've seen it first hand. To the other fellow on here please don't flush your tranny if your jeep is old and you never kept up on changes. It's not a old wives tail.

I
Glad you replied Jerry as the internet is full of rubbish, and while I have read that if you have never changed your tranny fluid in an older vehicle, you should do a partial change. Seems likes a myth to me and glad you chimed in.

Since you mentioned an automatic tranny, does the same hold true for a manual tranny? I assume yes, but will feel more confident after hearing from you.
It's not rubbish man. Lol I've seen it first hand. I have experience with old cars and not changing trannys fluid often. I learned from a 1500.00 rebuild bill. In my second /3rd old van Ive neglected changing trannys fluid but than only changed like 25% at a time. The van I got now is 15 years old. And I'm telling you your gonna be sorry lol. Jerry's got nothing to lose if you do this than your transmission takes a sh! $. But than again I guess it depends how old your jeep is, how many miles etc... but if it dives on you man, you've been warned.