Grinding bolt off near near gas tank

IPerkWVU

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Trying to remove my rusty mopar tow hitch, should be a simple 6 bolt removal but one of the weldnuts is spinning on the driver side frame mount is giving me a tough time. The frame does have a hole nearby.

2 questions - with it being close to an existing hole, any good ideas on how to secure the weld nut to extract the bolt? Failed to get good leverage with screwdrivers etc.

With the proximity to the gas tank, is grinding the bolt head off a bad idea? Had some reservations with the location. There's some pb blaster residue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, don't worry about it. If you want added safety, blow a fan through while grinding.
I changed my tank skid plate that way when I cut the rusted bolts.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I've ground and welded next to the tank several times. Cover the exposed plastic areas with a wet towel if you're concerned.

2003 Rubicon

Good advice, grinded it off 5 minutes ago.
a41cb892b6d4d2aa7d43f2ea50d493d7.jpg

Reactions: TJ2
Yea, I had a FR work shirt (nomex) laid between the frame and tank. Welding blanket would have been the right tool for the job. Got this ugly thing off and put on a OEM tow hook
ff2a193c7cd18cd90a625b2f56362701.jpg
c820022d55460dc90601cb7d95c1524e.jpg

Reactions: RD3
before grinding, look up at the emissions lines,running down the frame, mine was rusted out, exposing fumes. you wanna sell that hitch? dont look bad. maybe some new paint on it. chip away the rust an see if its just surface rust :)What year is the jeep?