Grinding in 2nd gear

Dan Westphal

2000 sport with 157k miles. Manual. When I down shift into 2nd as of yesterday I'm getting grinding unless I hold the clutch in for an extended time and slow down. No other issues at all. What am I looking at here? If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Dan

So there is a lot of debate about fluid in the ax15. It seems gl5 is bad for the brass in the trans. If you or previous owner has run gl5 then that will cause premature wear on the brass in the trans. Although that said you have 157K on the trans, so that could just be wear.

What happens when you shift up or down in your AX15, and all transmissions, really is your clutch disengages your trans from the engine meaning with the clutch in, the transmission stops moving. Well there is a tiny bit of inertia. So the gears have synchros and what that does is overcome the left over inertia. They stop the gear completely so you can finish the shift. If you are grinding up or down it is probably a synchro that is wearing out, and 2nd is usually the first to go. You will probably notice 5th starting to get grindy next. It is probably time to go into the transmission. The reason why it works if you wait, is it is taking longer for the gear to actually stop moving.

And to even get precise in my explanation, Your not only getting a small amount of inertia from the front, but you are getting it from the rear via the rear wheels. So your synchros are overcoming inertia both ways.

I hope this helps

I'm throwing darts at the wall but how about the level in the clutch reservoir / master cylinder?

So there is a lot of debate about fluid in the ax15. It seems gl5 is bad for the brass in the trans. If you or previous owner has run gl5 then that will cause premature wear on the brass in the trans. Although that said you have 157K on the trans, so that could just be wear.

What happens when you shift up or down in your AX15, and all transmissions, really is your clutch disengages your trans from the engine meaning with the clutch in, the transmission stops moving. Well there is a tiny bit of inertia. So the gears have synchros and what that does is overcome the left over inertia. They stop the gear completely so you can finish the shift. If you are grinding up or down it is probably a synchro that is wearing out, and 2nd is usually the first to go. You will probably notice 5th starting to get grindy next. It is probably time to go into the transmission. The reason why it works if you wait, is it is taking longer for the gear to actually stop moving.

And to even get precise in my explanation, Your not only getting a small amount of inertia from the front, but you are getting it from the rear via the rear wheels. So your synchros are overcoming inertia both ways.

I hope this helps
Thanks for the great response!

2nd gear syncro's seem to wear the worst and it's usually because your significant other keeps trying to downshift into 2nd at 30mph before the corner. And even worse, no throttle to match rpm's. Ask me how I know this...

Gear syncro is my guess if the clutch is good. Having to treat the same issue now currently.

Question-
If changing the fluids doesn’t work… Does this mean a partial of the tranny needs replacing?

Do all the other gears function correctly?