Grinding Noise when in 2WD / 2H when over 30Mph

EddiTJ

Alright so i got a Manual 4.0 2000TJ , with the NV3550 and Np231 and theres a grinding/squeaking noise from around the center console when I get up to around 30mph+ its always present at those speeds and goes away when I slow down, The noise is present with the Transfer case in neutral and in 2WD/2H, as soon as I throw it into 4H it goes away,
There's no noise at all if the car is on a lift at 30MPH.

I I thought it could be front U-joints already replaced them and its still present.
I also changed the fluid on the transfer case and it looked fine.

I'm lost anyone got any ideas what could be making a grinding/squeaking noise?

If you have a noise in the t-case in 2WD that goes away when you put it into 4WD, and based on the fact that it is in the area of the center console, I'd wonder if it is either the t-case chain, or maybe a bearing somewhere in the front output side of the t-case. My thinking is that, in 2WD, even though those areas are still spinning, they are spinning in sort of a 'coast' mode - being spun by the front wheels turning, rather than being turned by the engine. When you shift into 4WD, the load on the chain and the front output shaft side of the t-case changes, which could cause them to quiet down, because your changing the load on the bearings and chain. Likewise, there may be no noise when on a lift, because the wheels are just dangling in the air, so everything is spinning with very little load on them.
What if you remove the front driveshaft all together and take it for a drive? Then the output side of the transfer case would stay nearly idle in 2WD. If there is no noise then, you would at least have it narrowed down to the t-case. Good luck!

Reactions: AndyG
Any update? Did you find the problem. I have a noise, over 30 when I’m 2WD, only when the transmission is NOT under load (in neutral or in gear with clutch in). Goes away in 4WD. Gone when I table the read drive shaft off and drive in 4WD. Looking for a solution. Planning on rebuilding the transfer case.

Any update? Did you find the problem. I have a noise, over 30 when I’m 2WD, only when the transmission is NOT under load (in neutral or in gear with clutch in). Goes away in 4WD. Gone when I table the read drive shaft off and drive in 4WD. Looking for a solution. Planning on rebuilding the transfer case.
I removed the front driveshaft just in case before doing a transfer-case rebuild and it got quieter so I decided to replace all the u-joints in the front driveshaft again, which fixed it, I guess there was just a faulty one even though they were all brand-new.
Hopefully you have the same issue since its only a $50 and 1-2hour job.