Grinding noise

Crich23

My 2006 tj started this grinding noise at start up when it got cold outside after it warms up the noise slowly goes away can’t figure it out to save my life where it’s coming from almost sounds like the clutch or transmission any help

High pitch, low pitch? Can you grab a video? Does it only occur in gear? While moving/still?

Search on YouTube for TJ OPDA noise. That is a very common failure on 05-06 TJs that sounds like a loud warbling whine ("Angry sparrows").

Here's a good example:

Says the video is to long I’ll post another buts its a low pitch yet loud grinding noise goes away when the jeep warms up

It could really be a lot of things. Clutch bearings, transmission, transfer case, driveshaft joints, differentials, etc.

Does the noise change with speed? Occur only in gear or while accelerating? Does it continue with the clutch disengaged?

That's a good possibility. Unfortunately it's not the most convenient part to replace. If that goes out, I recommend replacing the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, etc. while you have the transmission apart. Clutch kits are actually quite inexpensive for the TJ, but it's going to take an average person 15-20 hours to replace it.

A throwout bearing generally changes noise if the clutch pedal is depressed. It may go away or get louder when the clutch is disengaged.

Now that I’ve heard it just bothers me if it’s warm outside it doesn’t come up or wen it warms up it goes away what would u do

You can also upload the video elsewhere and post a link. Maybe @Chris knows the filesize limit to post on here.

Personally, I would rule out the easier items first.

Have you heard the noise only when moving or also when sitting still?

The following two paragraphs apply if you only hear it when moving:

Check u-joints and centering balls on the driveshaft for play. If you can recreate the noise in normal driving, you can remove one driveshaft at a time and drive around to see if it still happens. If you remove the rear, you'll need to drive around in 4WD (essentially front wheel drive). If it is a driveshaft (or another driveline issue), the grinding will only occur while moving.

Also check the u-joints on the front axle shafts. Checking ball joints and wheel bearings wouldn't be a bad idea either.

If the clutch is original or hasn't been replaced in the past 100,000 miles or so, it may be worth planning on swapping the clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and pressure plate. Buy the parts and tools now and wait for when you have a few free days to do it.

In terms of parts, you'll want the LuK standard clutch kit (available on RockAuto, Quadratec, Amazon, and others). Most people also upgrade the throwout bearing at the same time.

You'll also need some less common tools, including a transmission jack, external torx driver, and a pilot bearing puller. There are quite a few write ups online on how to do it. This one was very useful:

https://www.4x4xplor.com/clutch.html

32MB is the video upload size. Anything larger than that you should upload to YouTube or Vimeo, and then copy and paste the link here. It will auto-embed the video if you do that.

Reactions: Steel City 06