Groaning noise and light vibrations coming from front undercarriage...differential fluid

So update. The mechanic said the front two bolts on the skid plate were loose, which was causing the vibration.

Bad news: the portion of the frame where the bolts torque down to the frame is pretty rusted, so the two front bolts won't torque down. The tranny and skid plate were being held on adequately by the other 4 bolts, which is why I didn't hear these noises until they came a little loose. For the time being he's gonna torque down the good ones which should be fine.

But eventually I'll have to get those parts of the rusted frame replaced, which he quoted me at $800-$1000 [emoji21]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

But eventually I'll have to get those parts of the rusted frame replaced, which he quoted me at $800-$1000 [emoji21]

That sucks. Rust management is a REAL thing, especially if you live where your sig indicates! I'm probably thought of as a freak by my neighbors as I'm under my Jeep every Sunday in a nitrile rainsuit with eye goggles, a barrage of scrub brushes, and a couple of buckets to wash my underside >.>

That sucks. Rust management is a REAL thing, especially if you live where your sig indicates! I'm probably thought of as a freak by my neighbors as I'm under my Jeep every Sunday in a nitrile rainsuit with eye goggles, a barrage of scrub brushes, and a couple of buckets to wash my underside >.>

Yeah, when I bought it, I saw some rust spots, but being that I live in the rust belt, I figured, "it's not that bad". My mechanic said overall, the frame doesn't look too bad. It just has a couple spots of rust that need to be repaired.

In any case, the original sound doesn't appear to really be present anymore. There's still a faint groan/creek when moving from a stop, but I think that might be moreso the frame, or maybe the interior flexing(it is a 17 year old car afterall) but I think the vibration from the differential was making it sound more severe. So I think I'm in the clear.