Grocery pick up without bags

06lj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Anybody use grocery pick up? I am specifically pondering how it is done in states, like mine, that have banned plastic bags. Will they bag it in reusable bags as it is loaded or do your groceries just get launched in the back of your vehicle?
My wife used it for the 1st time today and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. Oregon has banned bags starting January 1st. I was just curious how others have dealt with this.

Here in Maine only some towns have banned plastic. Those towns put everything in paper bags unless you bring your own reusable bags.

On a side note when I was a kid they told us to save a tree, switch to plastic, plus plastic doesn't fall apart when wet. Now its gone full circle.

When I was young if someone (not me) bought a dime bag of pot they had to worry about the cops. Now you can buy the pot without worrying but you can get busted for the bag???

They are likely to give you the old school paper bags. Or you bring your own reusable bags.

A little off topic, but my wife and I do volunteer work with a group that helps Loggeread Sea Turtles (Locating nests, relocating them if in a dangerous are, protection the nests, DNA samples and inventories after hatchings). We’ve learned that when the plastic bags start to break up and fall apart in the ocean, it looks a lot like some of the food they eat. Consequently, many turtles have been found stranded and lethargic, and sometimes dead. After been sent to the sea turtle hospital in Charleston, SC, many were found to have ingested plastics. Some survive, some don’t. Many other animals are affected to by our negligence. I think the town we go to to volunteer has banned plastic bags too.

My wife holding a newly hatched one that was trapped in the nest during a nest inventory.

8E894FF3-64F2-41D0-8440-61F8A9272CB0.jpeg

208AD41B-5927-4FDD-935F-01D534310B52.jpeg

Last edited:
We use grocery pickup once a week, and our city has outlawed plastic bags. We bring our own reusable bags, and once we get there the grocery people push the groceries out to the car in bins and they help load them all into your reusable bags. Very easy, and not really a hassle.

My wife uses the curbside pickup at WalMart in Salem all the time.

You have three options when they bring your groceries to you: 1) have them put the stuff in your own bags 2) buy approved bags from them at the time of purchase and 3) have them put your groceries in your car without any bags.

There's no plastic bag ban here in MN, but I wouldn't mind if they put one in place. I have re-useable bags, but they're really easy to forget and it's very convenient to just shrug and take a plastic bag (although, really, I guess I should be asking for paper in those cases). However, I've switched to doing a lot of shopping at Aldi's, which doesn't supply bags (they will sell you bags at 7 cents per if you need them, though) and it's helped give a kick to my ass to remember my reusable ones.

Somewhat related, my daughter took over 100 used plastic bags, cut them up and spun them into "yarn" on her spinning wheel and then crocheted a reusable shopping bag out of it. Pretty cool stuff. Michigan is toying with a deposit on all plastic water bottles now- any steps we can make to reduce plastic waste is a good one.

My county just instituted a $.05 per bag fee but yet when I get groceries delivered from one of the supermarket chains they all come in plastic bags..no charge. Driver said that it was too complicated to try and charge for each bag and if customer did not want to pay it would take a bunch more time to unload.

While I lived in Hawaii, they too banned plastic bags. I went to the grocery store and forgot my reusables, I had to put in on the belt, have it scanned, and then I put all the groceries back in my shopping cart just as it was before I put it on the belt to be scanned. 😂 I always took my reusables to the grocery after that.

• Haha
Reactions: MountaineerTom
If the silly politicians wanted to impact the plastic litter- landfill problem they would mandate a deposit law on any sized drink sold in plastic and force the bottlers to reuse the darn things.

If the silly politicians wanted to impact the plastic litter- landfill problem they would mandate a deposit law on any sized drink sold in plastic and force the bottlers to reuse the darn things.
here in NY almost any drink in a bottle or can has a $.05 per bottle deposit...still people throw them out.

the thread is close to derailing, however, single use plastic is an issue. There are better solutions. bringing a cloth bag that cost you .10 cents to the store with you to bag your groceries is not that big of deal.

And if it is, they are 10 cents, just buy them every visit and throw them away however you please.

I am not left leaning at all, I just happen to agree with the single use plastics being an issue, and a fan of other solutions.

Reactions: reddvltj
Take a look at the numbers, there has been an increase of plastic trash bag sales that evens out the non use of of the bags at the stores, so there really hasnt been any change. People use them for a variety of things ex. small trash barrels, poop bags etc.

Michigan is toying with a deposit on all plastic water bottles now- any steps we can make to reduce plastic waste is a good one.

I disagree. MI needs to focus on recycling as a whole. There's too many areas, even residential areas that are unable to get recycling pickup and you need to throw away anything that isn't a can or bottle. And then they punish you by waiting in line to use the return machines which can take FOREVER to feed one can at a time. A can slightly dinged and not accepted? Throw it in the garbage next to the machine! You'd be making more money at job at McDonalds or Walmart! Lots of areas that do accept recycling pick up crush the glass before dumping it into a landfill and it never actually gets recycled. If they'd just pick up recycling in more areas (or even offer recycling drop off) I think that more items as a whole would be recycled.

Last edited:
Take a look at the numbers, there has been an increase of plastic trash bag sales that evens out the non use of of the bags at the stores, so there really hasnt been any change. People use them for a variety of things ex. small trash barrels, poop bags etc.

Are there some numbers to look at that support this? I can't say that I've ever heard this claim before.