Guess what I clean my TJ with?

spray away 33
Nope. I think simple green would cover all their products.

We're using really basic stuff that my old man used to spray on his white circle track dirt car. I am sure there is a better product out there today but I haven't been inclined to search because my old jeep is black and faded and the plastics on my dirt bikes clean real easy.

Because I am new and love this site and the old man says so...

WD 40

Has been used for aerospace and military applications for years. Cheap, a little smelly, but dries out (or leave it on) after a second rub down and almost coats every thing.

I also have three new cars with clear coat and plastics all around. I don't think I'll use WD 40 on them just yet:)

• Wow
Reactions: Imapepper
WD-40 may look good for a while but its viscosity is so thin that it doesn't take long to completely evaporate. It does not leave a protective coating behind as some think it does. Technically, WD-40 is classified as a solvent... not many people know that.

OMG!!! I was going to say WD-40 as I read Jerry's request to spill the beans.

I knew a guy that had a CJ5 that was hand painted blue and was kinda faded. One day it was shiny and beautiful. Then two days later it was back to faded. I think he did it every couple days for the whole summer.

Does it help with surface rust much?!?!!? : )
Not at all. it will give you nice brown skid marks everywhere just like my dog does on UA Black. If you have an old car with fading interior and marginal exterior paint then WD40 is great (also for machined surfaces that are highly maintained), otherwise use the product that fits your application.

Please see my TJ for sale post. I will update photos soon

Regarding the 0000 steel wool, its great on glass and my company used to use it extensively on glass and mirror.
Works great on chrome also. (I Owned a commercial glass company.)

A good friend runs a late model dirt track car and he sprays the underside of his car with WD40 to keep the mud off of it.

If you look at the MSDS sheet it is primarily naptha.

It has paraffin as a lubricator.

A good example is an old California framer used to dissolve paraffin and gasoline and pour it in a bucket of nails and then pour the gas off and let them dry and he would have coated nails.

I use it to get tar off all my vehicles.

it is certainly a far superior as a cleaner than it is a lubricant and it's real place in industry is as a water displacement product... Which was great back when you had moisture in a distributor cap.

I don't think it would be my product of choice for cleaning a vehicle but if it's working for you man, that's another example of how many uses that product has found... Hence it's massive success.

this reminds me of the priest who told the little boy he could put holy water on a ladies stomach and she would pass a baby.

he said "sir that's not anything I can put turpentine on a cat's butt and it'll pass a motorcycle."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chuh