Guessing this is more than surface rust?

Jesse E

Get your laughs in, newbie posting for first time. My son & myself have been searching here in PA since March. I thought we may have something checking the carfax, mileage & price. Ugh, one look underneath and I believe this is what pa is known for? Any feedback on these pics so I can continue to learn what to look for. Thanks

63BA213A-BB22-4624-904D-CD67006CA14A.jpeg

091AA864-429C-46C8-8E6F-E9D34F9238C3.jpeg

Are you shopping for a JK or TJ? Obviously rust as pictured above is a deal killer for either one.

Sorry for the confusion posting the JK photo, just trying to get a handle on surface rust vs terminal rust. My wife is pushing for the JK, my son the TJ and I'm trying to learn on the fly. I really appreciate this forum, good humor and valuable information for a rookie.

Reactions: Daron
The JK's don't have frame rot issues like the TJ's. On a JK, I wouldn't be too worried about rust like that. On a TJ, surface rust to that extent would imply that there is a high probability of internal frame rot, which is expensive and irritating to fix.

The JK's don't have frame rot issues like the TJ's. On a JK, I wouldn't be too worried about rust like that. On a TJ, surface rust to that extent would imply that there is a high probability of internal frame rot, which is expensive and irritating to fix.
Yeah that quite true, JK's only have welded parts falling off the frame.

Yeah that quite true, JK's only have welded parts falling off the frame.

The main problems I've heard with JK's are the underpowered 3.8 in the 07-11, head issues on 2012's and early 2013's. Haven't heard of any weld failures on the JK's, only on the JL's with the trackbar mounts.

Reactions: rtronsta
Depending on price, this doesn't look bad. I can't tell if there is any structural frame rust from the pics, but it looks like just surface rust. As for the hole mentioned above, I can't tell if it is one, and more importantly, what is it a hole in? This almost looks like a sheet metal cover and not part of the frame. I've never been under a JK so I don't know what I'm looking at.

I'll say this: If I was in the market for a JK those photos would be good enough for me to go look at it in person so I could crawl underneath and bang on the frame with a chipping hammer and snake the rails with a scope. Those of us in the rest belt won't be looking at frames those in California, Texas, Arizona, etc. They ALL look a bit like this no matter what, unless they are garaged every winter and have never seen salt.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj

I don't know how much JK experience jodomcfrodo has but the JK owners I know will say the same thing.

From my limited JK experience, the probable hole in the gas tank skid plate wouldn't stop me from looking at that Jeep. If I found any similar rust holes in the frame, I'd walk away. If it is the only hole anywhere I'd just call it as weird as having the fuel tank on the opposite side of where we pump the gas in.

My wife is pushing for the JK, my son the TJ and I'm trying to learn on the fly.

What are your family plans for the Jeep? If it's starting into the world of off roading either would work. More off roading leans toward TJ. Daily driving only leans many toward JK.

My wife likes my TJ but LOVES her 2 door JK. They are both stock except for my tires. Driving her JK on the road feels like driving her Subaru Forester, which is ain't bad at all even with its BF Goodrich KO2s. I bet it feels closer to my TJ when off road but we may never find that out.

That is the one thing I didn't like about my JKU, how quick rust started to work its way in. I used self healing undercoating applied by Adams 4X4 and that worked great.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input, great forum to learn. I'm new to the jeep world and continually amazed at how TJ/JK's hold value. I'm guessing the jeep will make more trips to school & grocery store vs. what my son watches on youtube, plus his 3x per week job at panera isn't going to support his jeep habit.

Thanks again everyone.