Gun Control

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
So I was reading an article the other day and a comment the author made stuck in my mind.

He was siting statistics that he said proved that Concealed Carry holders are involved in shootings an order of magnitude less than Police Officers. That stuck in my head and rattled around in there for awhile. While it was not central to his argument it was very compelling on it's face.

It just occurred to me what the issue is with that statement. Law Enforcement Officers are likely to face a situation where the use of deadly force is reasonable on a weekly or monthly basis, some places more often than that. Concealed Carry Permit holders are reasonably going to face that situation at most once or twice in their lifetimes. Most will never be in that situation.

Don't get me wrong here. I am an original intent, strict constructionist of the Constitution. "The right of the People to Keep and Bear arms shall not be infringed." means exactly that to me. It just bugs me when someone plays with the numbers to make their point. Oh, and the Second Amendment, as ratified, only has one comma in it.

Reactions: JP13 and Chris
This is similar to all those "studies" I see all the time on the news. My wife will make a comment to me and say, "did you see this new study they did?", to which I always reply, "give me enough money and I'll make a study that proves anything you want me to".

It's all about messing with words and numbers. Seldom is there any "study" I'll actually believe. The majority of them have financial backing by someone who wants certain results from said study.

Study=spin
""There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" Disraeli.

I'm watching the local "news" the other day, and they trotted out a spokesperson for yet another charity (or non-profit, not-for-profit)
who stated unequivocally that "One in three children in our community is hungry", asking for cash donations to feed the local poor kids.

The irony of the statement is that she went about 250 lbs and was surrounded by four little fat kids.

Sorry, not convinced.
Based on their appearance (along with my cynicism and mean hearted-ness), I just assumed that she meant that 33% of kids are obese and want more snacks.

As far as the gun issue, I've seen plenty of BS stats from both sides and neither of them convinces me either.

Saying a ccdw lic. holder is involved in fewer shootings than a police officer is
kinda like saying that that a plumber lies less than a politician.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Reactions: Kyle_W and StG58
Concealed Carry holders are involved in shootings an order of magnitude less than Police Officers

That has to be the stupidest, most out of context, narrow minded thing to say.

Yeah, of course they're involved in shooting much less than police officers. Because they aren't doing a job on a daily basis that puts them at odds with potential criminals and people wishing to do them harm.

Wow... I'd like to find the guy who wrote that and smack him upside the head. Talk about a horrible comparison!

Reactions: StG58
Wow, this thread has everything! Kim K., smelling farts, big butts, Disraeli...oh, and the Costitution, guns, the press and statistics. If we could somehow throw Putin, Hitler and Anthropomorphic Global Warming in here, it would be the perfect off topic thread! If I wasn't at work, I'd crack open a bottle of Buffalo Trace and have some fun with it.

Reactions: Chris
That has to be the stupidest, most out of context, narrow minded thing to say.

Yeah, of course they're involved in shooting much less than police officers. Because they aren't doing a job on a daily basis that puts them at odds with potential criminals and people wishing to do them harm.

Wow... I'd like to find the guy who wrote that and smack him upside the head. Talk about a horrible comparison!

Yup, but I do have to say though, even though to author was partially full of shit, he did make me think about it. That's a lot of what you read now. Slanted hit pieces that are at least partially full of total BS. The trick is to turn the gain up on the BS filter and chase those kernels of truth down.

Did you hear that there was an officer involved shooting in Dallas, Or. tonight @Chris? He's going to be OK, but the suspect shit ball maybe not. It happened by the local Walmart.

Yup, but I do have to say though, even though to author was partially full of shit, he did make me think about it. That's a lot of what you read now. Slanted hit pieces that are at least partially full of total BS. The trick is to turn the gain up on the BS filter and chase those kernels of truth down.

Did you hear that there was an officer involved shooting in Dallas, Or. tonight @Chris? He's going to be OK, but the suspect shit ball maybe not. It happened by the local Walmart.

I agree!

I saw that on the news tonight. We live in Polk county on the other side of the river, so we aren't all that far front Dallas. I've been to that Walmart many times, it's about 10 miles away.

I wish that our justice system was simple like the Wild West. You kill someone, you get publicly lynched. These friggin' maniacs shooting at cops... sheesh.

Thank goodness Texas just passed an open carry law. Thank God it happened in my lifetime. I may never see it again.

I couldn't imagine living in a state like NY with outrageous carry laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon is also an open carry state. You just rarely see people openly carrying because the majority of the population here are flaming liberals.

Study=spin
""There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" Disraeli.

I'm watching the local "news" the other day, and they trotted out a spokesperson for yet another charity (or non-profit, not-for-profit)
who stated unequivocally that "One in three children in our community is hungry", asking for cash donations to feed the local poor kids.

The irony of the statement is that she went about 250 lbs and was surrounded by four little fat kids.

Sorry, not convinced.
Based on their appearance (along with my cynicism and mean hearted-ness), I just assumed that she meant that 33% of kids are obese and want more snacks.

As far as the gun issue, I've seen plenty of BS stats from both sides and neither of them convinces me either.

Saying a ccdw lic. holder is involved in fewer shootings than a police officer is
kinda like saying that that a plumber lies less than a politician.

I'm not trying to start an argument, and everyone is absolutely entitled to the their opinion. I also believe that everyone is entitled to the truth. You might find this interesting, even though it's not a study:

The truth about obesity is that the majority of the obese are actually biologically starving...because (out of ignorance or lack of knowledge) they are not putting healthy food into their bodies. Constant intake of Processed food and food high in sugar (both of which are also highly addictive) will cause the body to create layers of fat around the cells for protection against the constant invaders (bad food and sugar) but the cells are never getting the nutrients they need to be properly nourished. The result is horribly obese people who are literally starving to death. It's horrifying.

As for the gun issue, they can say whatever they want, but our constitution says I have the right to bear arms, and that's all
I need to know.

Last edited: