Gun Control

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Another thread here devolved into a discussion of gun control so let's just do it right.

I read an article today from a Canadian journelist who advocated outlawing and confascating all firearms, including those used by the police. I think that she misses the point. The most basic human right is the right to life. It is a right of everyone, everywhere. That right includes the right to defend your life by the most effective means possible, by extension.

I read an article today from a Canadian journelist who advocated outlawing and confascating all firearms

That could never (and will never) happen in a million years. That would create a movement, if not a revolution. I know there's people out here who think that Obama (or whoever else) wants to take away their guns. Sure, I'll bet some people would like to take away our guns, but the bottom line is that it's never going to happen realistically.

They might make it harder for people to get new guns, but they won't take away guns people already have.

Look at Scotland... Sure, they don't have guns (well you can't purchase them legally), but it happens to be the stabbing capitol of the world (last I heard) since there's so many assaults with knifes.

There is really nothing to say about gun control that the 2A doesn't already say. It's not about hunting. It is about self-defense, and more importantly to react against a tyrannical government. IE it keeps the government in check.

Reactions: Chris
The 2nd Amendment consists of a prefatory clause giving one reason for its inclusion in the US Bill of Rights and a statement of the preexisting Right.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

But I would like to hear from some others on the topic.
My issue with any gun control is basic. It is an erosion of an inalienable right just like free speech and is in fact a stout cornerstone of our very basis as a country.

If you care to ponder a brain bender for a minute, how nice would it be to limit free speech to prohibit any discussions that dilute gun ownership rights? Think about it and consider the irony of using one right to limit another.

I think one of the basic problems with any sort of gun control is that if you want to commit murder and mayhem, which are already against the law, every other law you break (gun control law) is a freebee. You are already going to get slammed with a harsh penalty so why not use a gun.

Another is the whole gun prohibition aspect. If you can smuggle people and drugs, guns have to be pretty easy.

That's true. By outlawing guns you just create an entirely new trade of trafficking illegal weapons.

24033238.jpg

My thought on gun control is that we should be allowed to own guns unless you can remove EVERY gun from the world.
Would you also say that we are entitled to free speech and equal protection under the law until no other countries have free speech and equal protection under the law?

The right to bear arms is not a qualified right. The right to free speech is not a qualified right. We don't say we have free speech as long as something else exists or we have certain conditions that are met. We just have free speech.

Reactions: Serbonze
Would you also say that we are entitled to free speech and equal protection under the law until no other countries have free speech and equal protection under the law?

The right to bear arms is not a qualified right. The right to free speech is not a qualified right. We don't say we have free speech as long as something else exists or we have certain conditions that are met. We just have free speech.

My point is we're never going to get rid of every gun. So in that case we should always be allowed to own them.

My point is we're never going to get rid of every gun. So in that case we should always be allowed to own them.

I understood your point. My point is the reason we are allowed to own them is we are allowed to own them.

Everyone needs to precisely understand that the reason we have part of the mess we have now is the door got opened to qualify and dilute a right that is as precious and inalienable as free speech. Once you open that door with set of qualifications to be met even if they are impossible to meet, means that you are qualifying the right. Rights are not qualified, they are absolute.

If you watch and pay attention to the gay rights and gay marriage thing almost anywhere, you can find folks like myself that are staunch supporters of their right to marry and interact within the legal system to enjoy every single aspect of married and unmarried life the rest of us enjoy. The reason for that is I am able to put aside my prejudice and bigotry for a behavior that disgusts me on a personal level and support the pursuit of the same things I want which is unqualified equality. I do not want to wake up tomorrow and discover I am the victim or soon to be victim of a bunch of Prius driving morons that decided the carbon footprint of a Jeep was no longer tolerated and now they want to disarm me.

If you watch and pay attention to the gay rights and gay marriage thing almost anywhere, you can find folks like myself that are staunch supporters of their right to marry and interact within the legal system to enjoy every single aspect of married and unmarried life the rest of us enjoy. The reason for that is I am able to put aside my prejudice and bigotry for a behavior that disgusts me on a personal level and support the pursuit of the same things I want which is unqualified equality. I do not want to wake up tomorrow and discover I am the victim or soon to be victim of a bunch of Prius driving morons that decided the carbon footprint of a Jeep was no longer tolerated and now they want to disarm me.

My thoughts exactly!

There is really nothing to say about gun control that the 2A doesn't already say. It's not about hunting. It is about self-defense, and more importantly to react against a tyrannical government. IE it keeps the government in check.

This ^^^

Not only that, let's say for whatever reason, a black hat op, the Gov could initiate widespread marshal law, or other NWO BS comes down, who do you think the wack job libs, that want all the guns gone, are going to turn too. US! The free thinking, want to be free, and not have a tyrannical government take over and stomp on our right to life people. That's who. Protect us. We're sorry!

uh huh.

This ^^^
who do you think the wack job libs, that want all the guns gone, are going to turn too. US! The free thinking, want to be free, and not have a tyrannical government take over and stomp on our right to life people.

How would they know?

How would they know?

Well, where I live ( the foothills of Northern, CA), everyone has guns. You here gun fire all different times of the day on my road. Target practice range three neighbors away. So I am thinking, they will head to the hills. I don't know if that would be their most wise decision though.