Gun Control

I think there are those on both sides of the issue that go to extremes. What I do know for a fact is, every time there's a published shooting of any significance, the news media does their thing while gun control advocates are asking for better gun control while the gun merchants are crying all of the way to the bank with all of those extra gun sales. You know what generally happens next? The process starts all over again and the only 2nd Amendment advocates suggestion is arm more people with more guns. What a stinking deal while our friends and relatives and children die.

I hope this isn't indicative of other parts of the Country. Here in my area, there were 3 people shot to death last year. Not one was murdered by an illegal firearm. All three murders were commented with a privately owned registered 2 hand guns and one hunting rife.

Reactions: Chris
How many people died from car wrecks? Drug overdose?

There is an epidemic drug overdose problem in this country, and no one seems to care.

The mortality rate for obesity is on the rise. Much much higher than gun deaths. No one seems to care.

All of these could have been prevented.

Child deaths ? I suggest you research child deaths other than firearms, and you'll be quite surprised.

The best gun salesman for past 7 years has been Obama. The irony in that is unbelievable.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Another interesting one is alcohol. Look at the numbers of people who die from alcohol related incidents each year, it's pretty alarming!

I think there are those on both sides of the issue that go to extremes. What I do know for a fact is, every time there's a published shooting of any significance, the news media does their thing while gun control advocates are asking for better gun control while the gun merchants are crying all of the way to the bank with all of those extra gun sales. You know what generally happens next? The process starts all over again and the only 2nd Amendment advocates suggestion is arm more people with more guns. What a stinking deal while our friends and relatives and children die.

I hope this isn't indicative of other parts of the Country. Here in my area, there were 3 people shot to death last year. Not one was murdered by an illegal firearm. All three murders were commented with a privately owned registered 2 hand guns and one hunting rife.

Like the things we do to our rigs to specifically prepare them for our local and preferred terrain, it's very easy to develop a view of nationwide events
How many people died from car wrecks? Drug overdose?

There is an epidemic drug overdose problem in this country, and no one seems to care.

The mortality rate for obesity is on the rise. Much much higher than gun deaths. No one seems to care.

All of these could have been prevented.

Child deaths ? I suggest you research child deaths other than firearms, and you'll be quite surprised.

The best gun salesman for past 7 years has been Obama. The irony in that is unbelievable.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, your logic however is highly flawed and what appears to be a prime example of non sequitur. Perhaps you want to restate it to be a bit more in context?

Reactions: StG58
The primary reason for more gun control that I hear is death prevention. The way it is explained, one would think the US is a killing field. X amount of people would be saved by implementing more gun control. Using this logic, that death can be prevented, allows the argument to be applied to every death that can be prevented. I am not sure what other reason you think made it illogical?

From CDC: 2013

Number of deaths: 2,596,993

Firearm homicides: 11,208

Which is 0.43% of all deaths. Not even a half of 1 percent.

Motor vehicle deaths: 33,804 (3x that of firearm deaths. and ALL traffic accents could be prevented)

Drug-induced deaths: 46,471 (4x gun deaths, again could have been prevented)

And obesity? It is hard to get exact number for that. The common number is 1 out of every 5 deaths is related to obesity. Yet I have yet to see anyone protesting to shut McDonald's down.

The primary reason for more gun control that I hear is death prevention. The way it is explained, one would think the US is a killing field. X amount of people would be saved by implementing more gun control. Using this logic, that death can be prevented, allows the argument to be applied to every death that can be prevented. I am not sure what other reason you think made it illogical?

From CDC: 2013

Number of deaths: 2,596,993

Firearm homicides: 11,208

Which is 0.43% of all deaths. Not even a half of 1 percent.

Motor vehicle deaths: 33,804 (3x that of firearm deaths. and ALL traffic accents could be prevented)

Drug-induced deaths: 46,471 (4x gun deaths, again could have been prevented)

And obesity? It is hard to get exact number for that. The common number is 1 out of every 5 deaths is related to obesity. Yet I have yet to see anyone protesting to shut McDonald's down.

There is no connection between gun deaths and other deaths. Using them in a gun control discussion proves nothing and serves no one. You can NOT justify a single gun death by showing how many folks die by other methods. Even if there were the same amount of protests, the same lack of results by the opposition, and the same levels of fear, there is still no way to justify the number of folks killed by guns.

In fact the biggest problem with citing statistics showing how many folks die through the use of firearms is the mere act of doing so.

As I stated earlier, I am saddened each time someone is killed with a gun who didn't deserve it. I derive no pleasure and no mental stability by knowing how many folks died from other causes, deserved or not and the knowledge of such things serves no one well in a comparative manner.

I'm not trying to justify any death. But there are connections, and relations. To say that there isn't is beyond belief.

Facts are fact. I'm sorry if you can't see them, for whatever reason I'm not sure.

I'm not trying to justify any death. But there are connections, and relations. To say that there isn't is beyond belief.

Facts are fact. I'm sorry if you can't see them, for whatever reason I'm not sure.

Precisely what connection is there between a death from diabetes induced obesity and a gun suicide? Other than both are no longer with us?

Simple, a death that could be prevented. Also, the number I quoted doesn't include suicides. Only homicides. A person wishing to commit suicide will kill themselves regardless of gun or not.

You do not think death from diabetes can be prevented? You do not think suicides can be prevented?

Simple, a death that could be prevented. Also, the number I quoted doesn't include suicides. Only homicides. A person wishing to commit suicide will kill themselves regardless of gun or not.

You do not think death from diabetes can be prevented? You do not think suicides can be prevented?
It doesn't matter if they can or can not be prevented because the discussion of prevention is not the basis for the existence of the 2nd Amendment.

It has to do with the assumption that prevention of death is part of the discussion and it's not. If you consider prevention of death to be part of the discussion, then the only way to prevent death is to abolish all the rights under the 2nd and engage in a very militaristic confiscation of all firearms and severe punishments for possession.

It is a supreme logic fail by anyone engaged in a pro 2A discussion because it leads to an illogical fallacy. If death should be prevented, and guns cause death, guns should not exist. They are not connected.

I you had read my post.

The primary reason for more gun control that I hear is death prevention. The way it is explained, one would think the US is a killing field.

In your supreme knowledge what is the anti-gun argument?

It's quite frequent you see people around here carrying rifles. But not in stores. Doesn't help when there is no Starbucks.