Gun rack

Thanks for the replies. I like the overhead option but my jeep has a bar that runs from the windshield back to the overhead roll bard. I am not sure why it is there - perhaps the prior owner installed it. It runs parallel to the center console and would prevent the overhead racks pictured from working. Looks like it would be easy to take out though.

Reactions: TJBob and JMT
Thanks for the replies. I like the overhead option but my jeep has a bar that runs from the windshield back to the overhead roll bard. I am not sure why it is there - perhaps the prior owner installed it. It runs parallel to the center console and would prevent the overhead racks pictured from working. Looks like it would be easy to take out though.
Sounds like some kind of partial cage reinforcement. Probably useless bolt on you can remove. No TJ’s came with those

Just tossing out an idea here. If you have a mount between the roll bars, you could secure it with a lock through the action like the safety locks that come with most new guns purchased and secure it to the roll bar or another hard attachment point.

View attachment 110135
I prefer locked and loaded, safety on and ready to go, no point in carrying one if it’s not loaded when hunting.

This may be a better option for you, and your setup then? It’s similar to the one I suggested earlier, but runs parallel to the center console. It’s a black mountain gun and bow rack...

61CFF96D-D09D-4B41-B7E8-5FEF6518F2CF.jpeg

Something else to consider, you could always mount the red rock between the roll bars in the rear. Over the passenger seat area. Access it from the tailgate. If you have tented windows, it would be even more concealed. Maybe even relax a police officer, should you ever happen to get pulled over, while traveling with your firearms in the vehicle. Idk, how police are in your area, but they seem to get a bit excited around here, if they spot your firearm. It’s always a, “sir please step out of the vehicle” situation... Rightfully so I recon. Out of sight, out of mind, frame of thinking.

I prefer locked and loaded, safety on and ready to go, no point in carrying one if it’s not loaded when hunting.

Transporting a firearm to a hunting location, is a totally different scenario, than packing one for self defense. Unless your carrying your hunting firearm for self defense.... There’s no point in being “ locked and cocked”. In some states, unless you have a permit, it’s illegal to even have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. In addition, In some states it’s also illegal to hunt within a certain distance from your vehicle, or the road. Here in Indiana, if your caught doing that, your subject to some hefty fines, and/or jail time for poaching.

Once your in the woods/field, 200’ away from any residence, vehicle, or public roadway, your good to go.

Jumping in on this late.

Roof rack is probably your best option for "secure" and out of sight. scabbard along the length of the front seats probably easiest. Remove barrel from shotgun to make length requirement (most hunting guns allow the barrel to come off pretty easily.

Lastly it depends on what the hunting regs are, but some places a loaded hunting gun in the car is a "no go" while your pistol loaded is just fine. BUT if you are going to carry your rifle/shotgun stoked, go with "cruiser" carry. That is empty chamber, loaded tube/ mag, hammer down, safety off. Easy to put into operation with just a pump or charging handle operation, and wont blow a hole in the side/ roof of your squad/jeep ;)

This may be a better option for you, and your setup then? It’s similar to the one I suggested earlier, but runs parallel to the center console. It’s a black mountain gun and bow rack...

View attachment 110153

Thanks for all the help. I ended up purchasing two sets of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BD5ICNW/?tag=wranglerorg-20 and mounted them on the bar I have which runs from the roll bar to the windshield. It only cost me $64 and ended up looking like the setup above. I use gun locks like those previously shown in a photo in this thread to lock the firearms (through the trigger guard) to the roll bar for anti-theft measures.

Not worried about traveling with the firearms "cold" as I always carry a sidearm while hunting and as well as to and from the farm- there are coyotes and bears there and I've run across both in the woods. I haven't had to use a weapon on them before, but in case I did, a scoped bolt action rifle would be useless on a predator charging you from 20 yards.

Thanks for all the help. I ended up purchasing two sets of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BD5ICNW/?tag=wranglerorg-20 and mounted them on the bar I have which runs from the roll bar to the windshield. It only cost me $64 and ended up looking like the setup above. I use gun locks like those previously shown in a photo in this thread to lock the firearms (through the trigger guard) to the roll bar for anti-theft measures.

Not worried about traveling with the firearms "cold" as I always carry a sidearm while hunting and as well as to and from the farm- there are coyotes and bears there and I've run across both in the woods. I haven't had to use a weapon on them before, but in case I did, a scoped bolt action rifle would be useless on a predator charging you from 20 yards.
Glad you found something that works for your needs!

Have any pics of them mounted in your Jeep?

Reactions: mushdogs
didnt wanna pay for an overhead so i made one, 3 inch angle iron on one side inch and a half square tubing and flat stock both sides welded then to attach it to the roll bar i took off the shown zip ties and used velcro loop straps. works for me but im 5'6" lots of head room, could put rack rack clamps in closer too.

gunrack.jpeg

Reactions: Chief Brohician