Gun rack

phasty20

Hello,
With hunting season coming up soon here in NC, I am looking for a gun rack to store my scoped rifle and shotgun in the jeep. I normally travel with spare boots, scents, coveralls, etc. so I am looking to save space where possible. There are a lot of options out there and I searched here on the forum and didn't find much. I am wanting to know what you guys have used before and how you liked it.

Thanks,
Paul

A locking case is your best bet, regardless of any particulars; soft tops offer no security, so leaving a nice gun in a rack is a bad plan. Look for surplus Pelican cases in a size that will fit your guns.

Reactions: Joe28
I dont even own "a" gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack.

Wayne39S-World-Quotes-3.jpg

You should plan for the worst unfortunately. I was on the way home from the range with several guns including a couple of short barreled rifles and suppressors specifically registered to me when I barely avoided a head on collision with a tractor trailer by running into the ditch. I was untouched by the truck but later I thought about what could have happened had I been severely hurt or killed. A whole lot of hardware out there for the taking.

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Starting
You should plan for the worst unfortunately. I was on the way home from the range with several guns including a couple of short barreled rifles and suppressors specifically registered to me when I barely avoided a head on collision with a tractor trailer by running into the ditch. I was untouched by the truck but later I thought about what could have happened had I been severely hurt or killed. A whole lot of hardware out there for the taking.

Glad you came out OK. maybe I should just use my Pelican case and keep it locked. It just takes up so much space...

I would hope that anyone who came across an accident like that would stop to help and not stop to pick up guns laying among the debris..but there are assholes out there.

I was involved in a rear end collision with a motorcycle (he rear ended me), but his concealed pistol went flying and skidding across the interstate. Witnesses grabbed it and we all helped him push his bike to a safe locatoin and out of traffic. He got it back though.

I am sure you could find something to mount to the roll bar that would also secure your rifle. Check this guy out..

I have a gun scabbard built into the back of my Headwaters seat covers. Works fine for rifles but not for shotguns; they're too long, especially since I usually shoot 30" barrels. However, this is really not a problem because I'll only take the Jeep deer or pig hunting (using rifles) and when I take a shotgun for duck hunting, I'm in my crew cab 4x4 Ram 2500, with a ton more space for shotguns.

I’m all for the between the roll bars solution. I have used two slings that buckled to the roll bar on the side. The guns hun in the slings. It worked, but not well. Difficult to manage in the field. The between the roll bar solution seems the best to me.

Reactions: Chief Brohician
I would hope that anyone who came across an accident like that would stop to help and not stop to pick up guns laying among the debris..but there are assholes out there.

I was involved in a rear end collision with a motorcycle (he rear ended me), but his concealed pistol went flying and skidding across the interstate. Witnesses grabbed it and we all helped him push his bike to a safe locatoin and out of traffic. He got it back though.

I am sure you could find something to mount to the roll bar that would also secure your rifle. Check this guy out..

I like this option. I am looked around and this seems to be a good option.

Just tossing out an idea here. If you have a mount between the roll bars, you could secure it with a lock through the action like the safety locks that come with most new guns purchased and secure it to the roll bar or another hard attachment point.

cable-lock-shotgun-w-flash-675px.jpg

Just tossing out an idea here. If you have a mount between the roll bars, you could secure it with a lock through the action like the safety locks that come with most new guns purchased and secure it to the roll bar or another hard attachment point.

As long as the lock 1) doesn't damage the action when being jostled around a moving vehicle, and 2) isn't damaged itself from that same motion, that's fine. Most action locks are simply made to keep the gun from being used; keeping it in one place and free from damage/theft is another matter entirely.

As long as the lock 1) doesn't damage the action when being jostled around a moving vehicle, and 2) isn't damaged itself from that same motion, that's fine. Most action locks are simply made to keep the gun from being used; keeping it in one place and free from damage/theft is another matter entirely.

Absolutely agree here. I was thinking more of a trip to the hardware store or possibly even the garage at home to put one together based on the particular weapon I was trying to secure. I wouldn't actually use the lock in the picture I posted, it was just a quick example from Google image search.

Also, I would make sure the weapon is secured from movement while being jostled around in the vehicle without the lock installed anyway. If there is no pressure on the locking device and the locking device is not used in a manner to restrain motion, I think the possibility of damaging the action is near null.

A nice thing about the overhead rack is it’s tucked up where it’s not really visible unless you start peering up there. Probably a non issue for thieves unless you keep it there all the time. Here’s another that looks good

1565965195201.jpg