H&R 1” lift

If StG58 says anything other than price, I'll buy you a beer the next time I am in your neck of the woods (not that often, but the wife is from Colorado).
OME costs more at about $170 per pair, so that's as good a reason as any other.

The reviews I had read seen to say that HR is the same length as stock. But if they provide lift, then they must be a higher spring rate than stock. Whereas OME is (mostly) roughly the same as stock. I don't think that matters much, so it's more me just being curious.

The H&R / Bilstein combination works extraordinarily well, EXCEPT for thing like washboard roads. High frequency small events are magnified by this combination.

Well, solid axles front and rear will do that too ;)

Reactions: StG58
Could also be the Bilsteins, if the rumors are true. ;)

I'm going to have to say, I rode in @psrivats' TJ Rubicon a few weekends ago for the first time (and I drove it). He has brand new Bilstein 5100s on his and that thing rode like a friggin' dream! It wasn't even the slightest bit harsh, even on the washboard road that leads to Jeep West!

Reactions: jjvw
I'm curious as to why H&R over Old Man Emu's lower lift springs.
I wasn't looking for lift per se. I needed a bit more spring rate to handle my load out. The H&R's gave me that. I was, and still am, trying to keep my SE as light and compact as reasonably possibly. The lift is a byproduct of slightly longer springs of slightly increased rate. I used the Bilsteins because the collapsed and extended lengths matched my suspension and setup. I do need to put an adjustable front track bar on, probably a JKS.

Reactions: jjvw
Yup, installed them awhile ago on my SE and love'm. There's an install thread here someplace with pictures, measurements and details. I'll see if I can find it again.

I got right at 1-1/2" of lift front and rear. Let me look at my notes to see if I can find the spring free lengths. H&R doesn't release spring rates. I could attempt to calculate that, if there's enough interest.

The H&R / Bilstein combination works extraordinarily well, EXCEPT for thing like washboard roads. High frequency small events are magnified by this combination.
Thanks so much for the information. So would you imagine I’d even need a 3/4” spacer up front when a winch is added?

Heyday-can-for-page.jpg

Thanks so much for the information. So would you imagine I’d even need a 3/4” spacer up front when a winch is added?
Maybe, maybe not. It will depend on how much weight you hang on the front, and how much the resulting rake bugs you. Like everything else TJ, you would need to add the winch and cycle the suspension to see what's going on under the front end. You may need to add a little bump stop to keep various things from getting tangled up at full bump. Everything clears on mine except for the front right tire, and it rubs at full lock on the lower control arm. That's a function of my wheel backspacing more than anything.

Reactions: Cal
I'm going to have to say, I rode in @psrivats' TJ Rubicon a few weekends ago for the first time (and I drove it). He has brand new Bilstein 5100s on his and that thing rode like a friggin' dream! It wasn't even the slightest bit harsh, even on the washboard road that leads to Jeep West!

I think proper suspension set up matters as much as the choice of the shock. I'm very happy with how my Bilsteins ride. They are a good shock for what they cost.

I have the H&R springs and 5100's, along with stock rims and Grabber 30" - I love them, but I am also mainly on road/highway. They are stiffer than stock so provide better road response IMHO.

Off road they're great if you have 4 people for the added weight :)

Reactions: Cal
Dude nice work. I bet that lift came in handy. Being able to stand under it had to be a great benefit.

More pics please
Oh The lift was huge and the use of an air wrench made things run so smooth. I’ll post more pics in the upcoming days when the tires and winch get added. I still can’t make up my mind on wheels so I probably won’t be getting those until next year.