H&R Springs and Bilstein 5100's in real time

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Putting the springs and shocks on the Jeep today.

20160924_085456.jpg

Under the carport and wheels blocked.

Reactions: Chris
Up on jackstands. Inspection time! I see stuff that needs to be addressed already.

20160924_092514.jpg

I'll go ahead and narrate this, and add the pictures later. Cell reception sucks.

As it turned out, the cell reception sucked bad enought that Doing this in real time was not going to happen. But there it is anyway.

Going in, I had some concerns about corrosion and bent busted parts. This is the first time that I've gone over this TJ's suspension in detail. My expectations were that there was going to be a lot of stuff that needed to be addressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
Two front shocks out, so far the rust looks worse than it is.

Lots of surface rust on the suspension and the frame. Closer examination showed that it was all just on the surface, and nothing to get all spun up about. No major damage to any components, so that is good. A few rub marks here and there and the usual collection of gravel and dirt in the usual places. Time to schedule a thorough cleaning and painting under there though.

Looked the brakes over and was underwhelmed by the stock braking system. Sure, it works, but I'm going to get a hold of Mrblain and talk a brake kit with him. For now, a wire brush and some paint would help me feel better.

Last edited:
Two front shocks out, so far the rust looks worse than it is.

It's pretty easy to do... Are you compressing the springs with spring compressors or dropping the axle enough to put them in?

Dropping the axle. They come out pretty easy if you pull them out in front of the axle. Got the fronts done with no drama, now for the backs...

Started pulling the front shocks and springs. I decided that I was going to not use spring compressors, and just drop the axles enough to pull the springs. It actually worked out very well.

The hardest part of getting the front suspension ready to put the new parts in was getting the front shocks out. Since they weren't going back in, I just grabbed the metal cover with water pump pliers and wrenched the top nut off. Everything came out without a hitch. Surprisingly, the bolt threads covered by the nuts were not corroded. And as it turns out there was little to no penetrating oil under the nuts. All of spraying and fiddling about only effected the visible, corroded threads. Spraying down the fasteners did allow me to wire brush off most of the corrosion on the fasteners. A small wire toothbrush is a good way to clean threads before disassembly.

Last edited:
Whoo-hooo! All four upper rear shock bolts came out without twisting off! Now for the rear track bar...

Got lucky here. Those bolts have an evil reputation for twisting off. Again, these had been sprayed down with penetrating oil and wire brushing as much dirt and corrosion off as you can makes a huge difference. All of the fasteners that came out were replaced with grade 8 or 10.9 as appropriate. I used anti-seize on everything as it went back together. The 3/8" torque wrench got a work out.

I thought that I needed to pull the rear track bar loose, but as it turned out, it wasn't needed. The rear springs come out fairly easily with just a little fiddling about with the jack and and a small pry bar. Popped right out, and popped right in.

Last edited:
And done...
Did you prep them ahead of time, or did you go in dry?
Penatrating oil every third day for two weeks and wire brushed all the rust I could off any exposed threads.

Oh, and it looks like I gained an inch and a half of lift or so. Time to drive it and then recent the tourques.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and Serbonze
The H&R springs are almost the same size as stock so they should slip right in like mine did.

You doing the alignment yourself?

Reactions: StG58
Post some photos when you can. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like on H&Rs.

You gotta change your avatar Chris. Too adorable...should be illegal.

My wife took that photo the other day while I was working. Turned out really great! They're right at that age where they're just adorable little girls.

One day I'll have to deal with unruly teenagers :eek:

Reactions: StG58 and Serbonze
20160924_103723.jpg

all cleared out.
It was easier to pull the spring out the front side of the axle, than the back. A small pry bar popped the spring on top of the lower perch, a little wiggle, and some pressure on top of the axle and out it came.