Hack and tap 231 question

Frankm

Had a post a couple weeks ago getting some help on H&T. After more research here’s a question I have….

Ordered a new drive flange and going to pull driveline and old plate off. It appears the wear/wobble I have is at the existing drive flange but don’t know if t/c output shaft splines wore or if the drive flange plate is the culprit. ( Could be some of each.) Anyway, if output shaft has worn splines has anyone ever done a second cut to the shaft to allow the new drive flange to slide onto in damaged splines?? Thinking an additional 1/2 to 3/4” of additional shaft shortening could get back into ‘like new’ H&T condition. The original H&T job has probably 130-140K miles on it!! That many more miles would run me another 12-14 years of service without the cost of splitting the case and doing a new output shaft or SYE kit.

Thx for any experience or guidance you can offer!!

If it matters it’s a 1999 231 case in my Sahara. It’s had the low range changed to a 4-1 so pretty much a Rubicon (Eaton Lockers too) before they were built by factory in early 2000 s.

Ditch the hack and tap. I had one and what ended up happening from just normal off roading my mainshaft bent in the t case. SYE and a driveshaft is so cheap now. Just swap it out and be done!

$90 for new drive plate and everything tight again. If it goes another 60-70K I ll be tickled.

The problem you would have if you trim the shaft is how do you make up for the lost threads?

Blackjack, I was trying to think through all that too but lucked out and output shaft splines in good shape. Drive flange ( it’s aluminum) had all the wear so the new one went on good and tight; yeah !!

Reactions: Blackjack
Blackjack, I was trying to think through all that too but lucked out and output shaft splines in good shape. Drive flange ( it’s aluminum) had all the wear so the new one went on good and tight; yeah !!
That is pretty much what I see with those. Mine is due to be retired soon as well.