Had anyone used this Harbor Freight recovery strap before?

We are discussing kinetic ropes/snatch straps…they are more expensive and superior to regular tow straps for recovery. Not being a dick, just clarifying
He Dick, this is Jane. I get that, but my original post was to the OP. I don't think his harbor freight one was a kinetic strap. Somwhere the thread got derailed. Didn't read the whole thread. I'd like a kinetic strap. Not trying to be a dick either, just messin' with ya!

Reactions: pagrey
200.gif

OK, I just had to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: tworley
He Dick, this is Jane. I get that, but my original post was to the OP. I don't think his harbor freight one was a kinetic strap. Somwhere the thread got derailed. Didn't read the whole thread. I'd like a kinetic strap. Not trying to be a dick either, just messin' with ya!
1632963536737.gif

The OPs original was a Kinect strap😀

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
You really should consider a kinetic, they are much better for almost anything. I've made them with 3/4" double braid nylon but you can also get a 20' pretty cheap. The brand isn't too important.
I went with this…haven’t had to use it yet.

I read the description that says "4400 lb" and thought you were insane. Then i saw the pic that says "44,000 lb" and now I feel better about you. :)
Yea they might want to fix the description error. I imagine that has cost them a sale or two.

Also, from the Q/A section:

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 11.16.15 AM.png

All I can add to this thread for the folks that say "I'd never use a HF strap", is that they sure would if it was the difference between driving home and spending the night in their jeep. :)

In my opinion you need both. Each has their plusses and minuses. Back in the day we used chain and then went to nylon straps because they offered Shock Reduction. Kinetic rope shines when you are pulling a vehicle out of mud or sand and both vehicles are of similar weight or if the pulling vehicle is smaller that the stuck vehicle. That is where the kinetic feature shines because it gathers energy over time and then releases it. The problem with this is there is no control of this released energy. This can be an issue if you need to upright a rolled vehicle. The pictures below show one of my forklifts stuck in a sink hole on one side. I was by myself and my F250 weighs the same as the forklift and because it’s direct hydrostatic drive it’s difficult to get the drive system to free wheel. My plan was to lift the sunken side, place cribbing underneath and drive it out. I had to use 80ft of nylon strap in order to get my F250 on solid ground. I was able to break suction and pull it up and place the cribbing. If I was were to do the same thing with kinetic rope as soon as it broke suction the energy stored in the 30% stretch, approx 20ft, would have pulled the forklift over on the other side. It took me 2hrs but I was able to drive it out.

FFA657F4-D3FE-4817-8427-99B90BE2E2C1.jpeg

8DBE4A6C-940B-429B-8580-1FD8C2881559.jpeg

47491EA9-D419-4DF4-8ED2-6F54AE74103E.jpeg