Had anyone used this Harbor Freight recovery strap before?

Last edited:
Reactions: NOLAJeep and L J
A Kinetic Recovery Rope should be sized to the vehicle that is doing the pulling, since it is the one that is generating the kinetic energy that is being applied to the rope - select a rope that has an MTS (Breaking Strength) that is 3X greater than vehicle weight.

i had another question and this wasted space.......... but found the answer. (copied and pasted above).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackman
so a thread popped up "how much does your Tj weigh", seems like most are chiming in right around the 4k mark.
apply the 3x rule that's 12000#.

now the next question becomes can you utilize a rope or strap that's rated more then 3x with the same expectations of getting some stretch when it's tugged? for instance yesterday i saw a 3/4" kinetic recovery rope it's rated for 19500# that's almost 5x the weight of the 4k pulling rig.
i guess the question is can you buy a rope that's to hefty to allow it to stretch being tugged by a 4k rig?

what's our upper end limit here? to hefty a line and you can't stretch it like its designed, correct? if we can't get stretch it's just a tow rope now right?
they give us a minimum but not a maximum.

The rope should be 3x the heaviest vehicle, not 3x just the recovery vehicle. If you’re recovering 10,000lbs with a 4000lbs vehicle you certainly want a rope rated higher than 12k.

The rope should be 3x the heaviest vehicle, not 3x just the recovery vehicle. If you’re recovering 10,000lbs with a 4000lbs vehicle you certainly want a rope rated higher than 12k.
And what's the heaviest vehicle weigh? or you gonna buy 4 different rated ropes

The strap from arb I listed is plenty of strap for a weekend warrior.

2-3x so I’d go 9000-15000 range…don’t overthink it. If you are pulling out 10000# vehicles with you are probably going to have bigger issues than the rope. Remember an f250 4x4 weighs less than 8000#.

Mine is 17500 so probably more than I need but it works well with plenty of stretch.

What kind of vehicles do you run with off-road. You are most likely going to be pulled out by another Jeep I’d assume.

You size a leash to the dog, not the owner. Doesn't matter if the owner is 250 lb of solid muscle, the little chihuahua rat-dog doesn't need more than a little string leash.

Size the rope to the recovery vehicle.

Everything written about sizing rope clearly states that the rope should be at least 3x the vehicle you’re recovering, not the recovery vehicle. Argue if you’d like. The literature is clear. But @someguysjeep is correct, how many ropes are you going to carry? Buying a rope based of your vehicles weight makes the most sense. I own 2 with one being 12k and another well over that…something like 75k.

Reactions: NOLAJeep
Everything written about sizing rope clearly states that the rope should be at least 3x the vehicle you’re recovering, not the recovery vehicle. Argue if you’d like. The literature is clear.

That doesn't make sense to me so I would like to argue, thanks for offering.

The way I see it, it's difficult to predict how much for it'll take to move the stuck vehicle. Worst case it's buried solid and practically immovable.
The pulling vehicle is simple to model based on mass and velocity. Specify max velocity and mass and you know how strong the rope needs to be to stop it. As long as the rope exceeds this you're covered, no mater what is being recovered.

A quick search shows TRE saying to size by the stuck vehicle, but the next 2 I say the opposite.

"A Kinetic Recovery Rope should be sized to the vehicle that is doing the pulling, since it is the one that is generating the kinetic energy that is being applied to the rope"
https://www.asroffroad.com/kinetic-recovery-ropes/
"It’s a commonly held belief that you size the recovery gear for the vehicle being recovered. In the case of a kinetic rope though you should size the rope to the pulling vehicle, as they are the ones generating the energy that will transfer through the system."
https://surfinjeepsafari.com/articles/recovery/kinetic-recovery-rope-sizing-guide/

I like to back up right to the stuck vehicle and hit 87 mph right before the line goes taut…be careful though. If you hit 88 mph the flux capacitor kicks in.

• Haha
Reactions: Tony P and JMT
ya even the sellers can't agree and info seems to be inconsistent. and i tend to believe if we have a minimum we would also have a maximum effective range.

edited for stupid questions ....again.

not sure how we can discern useful info from the crap if the makers can't agree.

Last edited:
keep it simple, whatever vehicle you are carrying it in then use the manufacture recommended weight multiplier.

4000x3 is 12000(Jeep’s)
6000x3 is 18000(full size trucks)
12000-20000 range is probably reasonable

That gets you keeps and 95% of what you are going to see off-roading

I use the ARB which is 19500…I get plenty of stretch and it’s smooth…mission accomplished. I get the part about inconsistency in recommendations by manufacturers.

keep it simple, whatever vehicle you are carrying it in then use the manufacture recommended weight multiplier.

4000x3 is 12000(Jeep’s)
6000x3 is 18000(full size trucks)
12000-20000 range is probably reasonable

That gets you keeps and 95% of what you are going to see off-roading

I use the ARB which is 19500…I get plenty of stretch and it’s smooth…mission accomplished. I get the part about inconsistency in recommendations by manufacturers.
ya i got hung on the stretch thing a bit . max stretch is fully loaded and approaching the break point. so we want a rope or strap to work in the 5-25% range of a 30% stretch, would this be accurate?

The vehicle you are pulling out of the ditch is fixed, you don't need to worry about it's weight. When you pull the first few times it's just going to be your rig and a fixed anchor. The length of the strap is very important too. A 30 foot strap is going to stretch allot more than a 20 foot. I recently recovered a 6500 lb F150 with my strap which is a 3/4" 30 foot just like the TRE strap. It is not harsh even on hard pulls. While the nylon flat strap is close by the numbers it doesn't feel close to me. That is totally subjective but tying the ends of the double braid I can stretch my 30 foot rope almost a foot just pulling on it by hand, the flat strap doesn't budge. I think the 19500 or whatever rating 3/4" double braid has is fine, nobody is likely to break that with a Jeep and it has good stretch. My comments about not going too high were aimed at 7/8" or 1" straps but you can also get in to trouble with a short strap. The stretch numbers are just there to give you an idea how the ropes compare. The breaking number is there to make sure you size the rope correctly. Generally a rig under 6000 lbs can't break a 3/4" rope and a 8000 lb rig pulliing on a 3/4" rope might. If any of your friends have these straps give them a try, it's one of those things that is so easy to see when you use them both back to back.

Mine is marketed as a tree strap, but I also use it to pull someone out if needed.
We are discussing kinetic ropes/snatch straps…they are more expensive and superior to regular tow straps for recovery. Not being a dick, just clarifying